One Spare Done Six Ways

---k---

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For Christmas, I got a box of rubs. I've done a few cooks with only a couple of them, but have been looking for some time to do a comparison cook. Well, with this week's Throwdown being For Brethren by Brethren, I thought what better time.

I'm home alone today, so I couldn't cook up a ton. I went to a new to me grocery store today to see what meats, rubs, and sauces they had. The pork wasn't that impressive, but it looked like they stocked beef ribs and lots of lamb, so I'm filing that away. I saw this interesting package of Spare Ribs, I didn't look at it real hard in the store and was hoping it was two St. Louis spares. I should have known better.

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

It actually was just one full spare, cut up and packed up. Here it is after trimming:
IMG_3727.JPG

And the contenders:
IMG_3729.JPG

It isn't a fair contest because each rub gets a different section of meat, but.... This is just for fun.

Anyone want to guess which is which?
IMG_3736.JPG

(One of those is a mixture of a Gary Wivott 's Rudimentary rub with the SM Cherry layered on top.)

The smoker is rocking away at around 235* with some apple wood chunks. The meet went on around 3:00.
IMG_3739.JPG

We'll see how they turn out in a few hours. I have no idea when the different pieces will be done. And without the bend test, it is going to be a little guessing. But, we'll see....

I would appreciate any suggestions on how long to cook, how to check, or temps to pull the pieces. Thanks.

Try using a toothpick between the bones. It should go in with no resistance when they are done.

I'm interested in the results!

Would like to guess but I've only had 2 of those rubs & you put one of the two I know on top of that Wivott 's rub just to throw me off further.

Is the one on the upper right of the tray (or lower left of your drum) Yardbird?

Nope. :p

I'm going to have to give a prize if anyone can guess. Not sure what. Maybe I can make my own certificates. Everyone seems to love certificates. :-D

The layered one isn't fair. So, I'll let everyone know that the small piece in the upper right with two plain toothpicks is the Gary W. w/ SM Cherry.

Ryan, anxious to see your results. Just a thought, it looks like you have plastic tipped toothpics to make with. Will they be okay at the temps you are cooking at? Just a thought bro. Keep us posted!

2:40 minutes later, the thermopen is probing through quite easily. Sauce is 50/50 Blues Hog and Head Country.
IMG_3740.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

Looks like I flipped the two rib tips at the top. Opps.

First up, served up with some mashed potatoes and corn.
IMG_3755.JPG

Yum...

The close-ups make it easier to choose the rub. Did one rub standout as best tasting at the end of the cook?

The close-ups make it easier to choose the rub. Did one rub standout as best tasting at the end of the cook?

It wasn't a fair test because each rub was on a different part of the rib, which I have found can make a big difference. And I'm far far from an expert. So, I'm not willing to pick a winner. I think everyone should try experimenting. (Boy, wouldn't it be nice if we could get someone to sell a sampler size of the different rubs. Little foil packs of enough to do like 1 or 2 racks.)

I will say that the one that surprised me was the RSS Rib Rub. I tend to like a dry rib with very mild heat. (Maybe I haven't got the sweet sauced ribs right yet. :-D) The RSS really pleased my tastebuds and got an "Oh wow that's good!" out of my wife. But, I think it surprised me because I don't hear it talked about like the Plowboys rubs and Simply Marvelous rubs (though the rubs talked about go in phases and I haven't been around long enough). It is also the cheapest by far at $6/lb foil pack.

SM Cherry top right, top left is the pecan?
Ah who cares..it looks awesome! And I want some!

SM Cherry top right, top left is the pecan?
Ah who cares..it looks awesome! And I want some!

smknhotmama.jpg

IMG_3734.JPG

You got Pecan right, Cherry wrong. The white flakes give them away, but I did the cherry first and the by the time the photo was taken the brown sugar in the cherry rub had really started breaking down.

Not the best photos, but for those interested in these rubs, here is a link to the album with a photo of each just after the rub was applied . I think it is interesting to look at, but I'm a geek. :wink: You can definitely tell a little bit about the ingredients from looking at the photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101095536537107216755/022611?feat=directlink#

Seems like a pretty good way to get a idea of which rubs or type of rubs suit your tastes.

Back