Weedburner or wood trouble

nexpress

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
When I go to fire up my lang with the weedburner I can't keep the fire going. It charres the $hit out of the wood then the fire goes out. I have tried using smaller pieces of wood and they do the same thing. It worked good the first couple of times but the last couple have about drove me nuts. Any input would help.

Are your dampers all the way open?
Place the flame under the grate to start the fire.
Is your wood seasoned or green?

Dampers are open wood is seasoned or so says the guy I got it from. I put about a half a chimney of charcoal in the box and put a few logs on top then it took off. I might just have to goof with the burner until I figure it out.

4 are 5 small splits.. an get it roaring.. It takes a few mins to get it going.. Tap the wood together it should make a crisp sound not a thud...

I may not be given it enough time. Wood sounds dry and burn good with the charcoal fire I started. Did some chicken it cooked quicker than than I am used to with my WMS. Gonna play the rest of the day.

I think a lot of people start large offsets with charcoal. It seems it is easier to get he charcoal lit and hot in a chimney and then put the hot coals in the firebox with some splits on top.

Start the initial load then let it burn to a nice bed of coals. Add 1 or 2 sticks then start closing the intake dampers down and let the smoker settle into the temp zone you desire. If you light the fire and then throw meat on as soon as the gauge reaches desired temp, you will be chasing the fire the entire time and get poor results.

I think a lot of people start large offsets with charcoal. It seems it is easier to get he charcoal lit and hot in a chimney and then put the hot coals in the firebox with some splits on top.

This is the way I do it. Hot bed of KB or lump, then the splits as needed to maintain. I learned here the trick of heating up the splits on top of the firebox before adding during the cook to speed ignition and keep a clean burning fire. Watch the wind direction and wind speed and adjust damper as needed. Have fun.

SO true, I always start my big boy with lump and then add oak to get the temp up and then start adding my other flavor wood. I will add some lump every now and then to just help with temp stability.

This is the way I do it. Hot bed of KB or lump, then the splits as needed to maintain. I learned here the trick of heating up the splits on top of the firebox before adding during the cook to speed ignition and keep a clean burning fire. Watch the wind direction and wind speed and adjust damper as needed. Have fun.
oh ya I started heating up the wood on top of the fire box and WOW it makes a huge difference!!

I start with 8 or 9 brickettes with a Weber fire cube to start. Stack some splits on top, and that builds a nice coal bed really quickly. This is why I haven't used my weedburner in a long time.

Thats how I do it. I make a box out of my splits and pour charcoal in the middle. Then lay a couple of small splits on top. Good fire in a about 5 minutes.

Assuming that a flame is established, I have found that some sort of low pressure air source (like a hair dryer) works better than propane for getting a fire stoked.

I think I am going to use a little charcoal to get it going from now on. My 2 year old doesn't really care for the weedburner.

i have to have all my doors open and dampers all the way open or the torch doesnt get enough oxygen and chokes itself out. i usually start the torch outside and move it slowly further into the firebox to get the draft going. They require a lot of oxygen to keep that flame.

Back