Butt time

T&S BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Thinking about doing a couple of butts for Sunday. Going to cook at around 270 if I can keep temp up. Wondering how long it will take from start to finish. Going to wrap when I get the color I want, then put in oven to finish. Probably rest 2 hrs in cooler befor pulling. I'd rather be done early than late.

When I cook butts, they are usually around 8 pounds each. At 225 degrees, I allow 80 minutes per pound, plus a two hour rest (foil, towel, empty cooler) before pulling. At 270, I'm guessing 50-60 minutes per pound. They may be done earlier than that, and that's no problem. I wrap based on color, too, and find that internal temp is usually between 160 and 165 when they are the color I am looking for. It just works out that way. Looking forward to some pictures!

I usually cook around 275-300...takes me like 7-9 hours normally and then rest. 4-5 hours before wrap with a little apple juice, then another 3-4 tops to finish depending on what internal temp I want to pull.

Haven't got them yet, but most I get are about 8 lbs. The hour per sounds good, I'll start a little early, and if they get done sooner, so be it. Thanks for all the input, even the butt size one . LOL

I usually cook around 225 degrees and factor about 1.25 hours per pound. I would agree with ITBFQ - at 270 degrees you are probably looking at an hour per pound. Be sure to take a good temperature and feel the meat for tenderness.

At 275* and wrapping when I get the color I like (Mahogany), 8-9 pound butts usually take about 9 hours for me.

I cook it long enough to get the butt to 190 degrees then rest it like you said for a while, wrapped in a cooler. There are a lot of variables like your smoker, outside temp, wind, how many times you open to check things.

I usually cook mine around 290 until internal temp is 160 then wrap it and continue cooking until internal temp is 195. Then pull it and let it rest in a cooler wrapped.

I can usually finish an 8lb butt in 6-7 hours this way.

If you are wanting it for the game you can throw it on at 8 or 9 in the morning. Should be done by 3 then just keep it wrapped in a cooler with a towel over it. It will hold for another 2 or 3 hours that way.

When I cook butts, they are usually around 8 pounds each. At 225 degrees, I allow 80 minutes per pound, plus a two hour rest (foil, towel, empty cooler) before pulling. At 270, I'm guessing 50-60 minutes per pound. They may be done earlier than that, and that's no problem. I wrap based on color, too, and find that internal temp is usually between 160 and 165 when they are the color I am looking for. It just works out that way. Looking forward to some pictures!

Do You wrap in double foil or do you put it in disposable pan foiled with double aluminium ?

Do You wrap in double foil or do you put it in disposable pan foiled with double aluminium ?

Both! When I wrap for color, I put it in a pan to keep cooking. Then, when they reach finished temp, I take them out of the pan, wrap tightly in double aluminum foil, and plop them in the cooler to rest. I like to save the juices from the pan, and use a gravy fat separator thing to pour off the fat/oil.

Back