FEC 100 for Competitions

AZScott

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm in the market for a new smoker. Right now I'm using either 2 - 3 Lg. BGE's or 2 Lg BGE's and a UDS and I think I've had enough moving the eggs, dealing with limited cook space, and worrying about breaking and/or chipping them. I've been eyeing a Stumps, Superior, or Spicewine for a while and upon further research the FEC 100 has me thinking that it is the optimal cooker for what I want to do. Before making the jump I have a couple of questions running through my head.

First, I've heard and read of people setting the cooker for butts and briskets on Friday night, getting a good nights sleep, Cambroing the meat in the morning, and then putting on ribs and chicken in the morning. How do you do this? Do you not foil the butts and briskets? I'm just trying to see if this is realistic.

Second, are there any concerns about the smoker being in the rain? Dust storms? From what I understand the main concern is water in the hopper but is that a concern with rain?

Third, if you use an FEC in comps do you bring an additional smoker with you for any meat(s)? I'm really hoping to limit it to the FEC 100 for the comp and a mini egg for lunch and dinner.

Fourth, what accessories do you recommend? I'm thinking the rib rack, cover, and an extra rack.

Fifth, when transporting it can you lay it flat on it's back in the bed of a truck or on a trailer?

Thanks for the help!

I have had an FEC since 2006 and have used it in comps since we bought it. I can't answer your first question, I only used it for ribs and chicken, but as far as the rain, that cover is a monster, I have cooked in both rain and snow with ease. We transported it on its back and standing up strapped against the wall of the trailer with no problems. The only accessories we used were the cover and then an inverter with a marine battery for power. Good luck, I am sure someone will chime in with an answer to your timing/foiling question.

We have a Spicewine and we love it. Only regret, wished we bought a bigger one. (Which we may do.) I can't speak for the FE personally, but have been at comps and seen teams have troubles with power and had a teams board go out in theirs and they had to borrow another smoker. But on the other side there are a lot of teams out there using them and are doing very good.

We use 2 FEC 100's for comp. Yes we put out big meats in it on Friday night and use the other one for ribs and chicken. We have ours mounted inside the trailer, but yes be aware of the rain keep it under the canopy.

I normally cook with a FE and a FEC 100. I also cooked with one cooker and have won. So it can for sure be done. Remember that Foil is your friend.. the cover makes it water proof, that is the best accessory. They can be laid on their backs.

Good luck!

The cover is the best thing I ever purchased. It keeps all weather out. I cook all 4 meats on one FEC. If my pork isn't done by the time the ribs go on, I move it on to our traeger as I cook the ribs and chicken hotter. Its just a timing thing. I love my FEC.

I'm and FEC fanatic with 2 500's, plus a 4' Char Griller. I have been pondering smaller contest units as well, as I just bought a toy hauler. I suspect i'll fo FEC, but have to admit the spicewine or a backwoods intrigues me............

I use an fec and a large egg. Fec for all but chicken and I keep in my trailer. You can use a 5" duct with a cap to keep rain out of exhaust and the cover is great. No need for rib rack unless you are always doing ribs.

Thanks everyone for the information it's a big help in helping me pull the trigger. Scottie, you are doing the Star Pass competition in Tucson correct? Do you mind if I come over and check out your FEC and see how it works?

I will be there next weekend. I am flying in, so I am using someone else's FEC. But you are more than welcome to come and check it out.

Back