The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Burnt ends help (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169551)

HDOFDC 08-26-2013 06:29 PM

Burnt ends help

I am on call this coming weekend and since I am housebound I decided to cook several things. I have a question about burnt ends. I am going to do my first full brisket and want to cut the point up into burnt ends. How long do you guys cook the burnt ends after the flat is done? Somehow I can't imagine cooking a whole brisket for 8-12 hours and then spending several more hours on the smoker cooking burnt ends! How do you know when they are done?

imaisufan 08-26-2013 06:46 PM

You'll get a million answers here.
I cook until flat is done, separate flat from point, wrap flat in foil and towels and throw in a cooler. Then I throw rub on the part of the point that was attached to the flat. Then back on the cooker for a couple of hours, then cube it and serve with sauce on the side.
It doesn't hurt the flat to rest, so I just build it into my cook time. Real burnt ends are worth the time.

2000milesofsmoke 08-26-2013 07:18 PM

I am going to ditto imaisufan. Sometimes after smoking the point for an hour or two, I will cube into inch by inch squares and put in a pan with a mixture of half beef broth (or au jus) and bbq sauce. I will then place the pan back on the smoker for 30 minutes to an hour to set the glaze. Burnt ends, I'm not sure there is a better bite in bbq.

lantern 08-26-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2000milesofsmoke (Post 2602916)
Burnt ends, I'm not sure there is a better bite in bbq.

As a tried and true pork bbq fiend even I have to quote this for truth.

columbia1 08-26-2013 07:54 PM

We will go up to 90 minutes to fully caramelize that gooey goodness into the cubed ends.

mikeleonard81 08-26-2013 07:57 PM

I'll tell you that last time I did burnt ends I was thinking like you. "I'm not going to wait a few more hours after I had this thing on all this time!" Well' i threw them back on the smoker for only an hour and they were still tuff when I served them:oops:. I got rave reviews about the flat but people were to busy chewing on the burnt ends to get any criteques out of them. So please wait until they are done is the best advice I can give.

HDOFDC 08-26-2013 08:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies. So if a brisket cook takes 12 hours you still spend another 2-4 hours on the burnt ends or can you save them for later the next day and cook them down then? And like the brisket flat, they are done when they are done. No set cook time after the flat is done and in the cooler.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 08-26-2013 08:34 PM

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but the point is the prime jewel of the brisket. Why waste it on faux burnt ends?

Pole D 08-26-2013 08:38 PM

I'm going to go with forget the burnt ends and slice the point.

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 08-26-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pole D (Post 2603012)
I'm going to go with forget the burnt ends and slice the point.

:clap2:

16Adams 08-26-2013 08:49 PM

7.5# full packer

I have best luck with packers under 12#. Don't oversmoke and don't undercook. Enjoy