The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quarreling over a restaurant name (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155295)

MrTaterSalad 03-03-2013 11:03 PM

Quarreling over a restaurant name

Alright here it is. My father and I are looking at starting up a carryout BBQ restaurant. We've gone through and done a lot of investigative work that it takes to both start a business and open a restaurant. We've got costs estimated and spread-sheeted, we've looked at vendors, created and re-created and re-created again a menu for the joint.

We've been able to cooperate with one another through nearly every aspect of this process but one, the name. It started out as an "I'm not sure about that choice" to a full scale disagreement. Normally my father is the more stubborn of the two, however, I'm the horse bucking back on this one.

Many people, I feel enough, have seen the move "Silence of the Lambs". "Hello Clarisse". Now, the name I want to use plays off of the title of the movie. I want to call the restaurant "Silence of the Hams BBQ" since we're featuring a pork-heavy menu. I came up with the name watching the movie one evening and I find it to be clever, unique and catchy. Clientele in my mind will get the connection, laugh at it's cleverness and still have no trouble dining with us. My father however (and my mother for that matter) find the name to be clever yet overly disgusting and ultimately bad for business. They're also trying to convince me that other people will be thoroughly disgusted by the name and not want to carryout at a restaurant that makes connections to a movie about a cannibal. I just think it is too clever to pass up.

Am I completely off base? Does the name "Silence of the Hams BBQ" turn you off to the point of not wanting to get food from a place with that name? Do you think it would detract other clientele? We have a plethora of other names, should I give up and accept something else?

Pyle's BBQ 03-03-2013 11:08 PM

I would put up a poll with your choices. Leave the story about the disagreement out and see what people think. There might be bias with your story.

A question to ask yourself. If you are in business in 20 years will the name still make sense?

gtr 03-03-2013 11:16 PM

It's kind of a cute and funny name, and I love the movie, but at the same time some folks might make an association with "it rubs the lotion on it's skin" and cutting open cadavers and whatnot.

Fo Sizzle My Nizzle 03-03-2013 11:16 PM

Quarreling over a restaurant name

For a comp team name I could get behind it. As far as a business name I'd go with something a bit more acceptable by the public as a whole. Sure a segment of your market may find it clever, but is it worth losing others in the process?

landarc 03-03-2013 11:16 PM

I second the poll idea.

To be honest, that name would not draw me in, not even once. It sounds more like a competition BBQ team name.

gettinbasted 03-03-2013 11:17 PM

I agree with your dad. It is a good competition team name, but I don't want to spend my hard earned money at a novelty named restaurant. You will have some that appreciate the wit, but far more will either be turned off by or not get the name.

That being said, if you turn out good que you can name it whatever you want and people will still show up. The product is what counts.

GrillsGoneWild 03-03-2013 11:34 PM

It would kind of think of it like saying that you do a good job at cooking rib tips and calling the restaurant "Just the Tip". Some things as clever as you think they are is best left on the shelf.

Bludawg 03-03-2013 11:34 PM

JM2C Some of the best Joints have simple names,Smittys, Franklins,Snows to name a few. Be proud of your product and put your brand on the Marque it makes a statement.

landarc 03-03-2013 11:39 PM

Bludawg makes a good point, most restaurants look at the name as branding, if you have to explain the name, or it is too inside, or jokey, it loses brand impact. It would be better for the name to be 3 to 5 syllables and tie directly to the ownership of the restaurant. Other hooks are often the address or neighborhood you are in.

Pyle's BBQ 03-03-2013 11:47 PM

It is hard to make sure you have the right name. It took us a while to come up with our name. Our one requirement was that it should be tied to the new bike/horse trail that goes through town. Tying it to the community, in some way, would have more impact.

NazBQ 03-03-2013 11:49 PM

I work for an ad agency and we develop brands all the time. I agree with a few of the others. It would be a good team name for competition, but probably not the best for a restaurant.

1. Anyone who has seen the movie knows its about a man that eats people. And it's also about a serial killer making a suit out of human skin. No way I would want that association with the food I serve to the public.

2. For everyone who has never seen the movie, it just won't make sense.

Not trying to burst our bubble. Just giving you my professional opinion. :-)

93vpmod 03-03-2013 11:52 PM

Looks like you have a lot of good advice above. Being successful can also be a result of knowing when to change directions.

Best of luck!

Goyo626 03-04-2013 12:03 AM

I agree with bludawg and landarc. Also tying the name to the ownership builds loyalty imo. For example, I find it really cool when I walk into a restaurant with the name of John Q or Johnny Q and you see John working the floor or counter. That is something you cant get in a chain restaurant.

BigBellyBBQ 03-04-2013 02:52 AM

think about name and main product...are you selling Hams? lambs? (that movie name is extremly inapropiate) make it simple and catchy

Pitmaster T 03-04-2013 05:58 AM

You should name it Pig - n - out.... period.