The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sandblasted UDS Drum (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151628)

Bham_egger 01-16-2013 09:42 AM

Sandblasted UDS Drum

1 Attachment(s)
Got my drum back from the sandblasted. Took it there to have the red liner removed. It now has a somewhat roughed up texture from the blasting. Is this ok? Why is my next step. I was going to spray it down with cooking oil to keep the rust at bay until I can do some long burns? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Before

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/16/ajebeqa9.jpg

After

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/16/usyguhyv.jpg

Callahan-que 01-16-2013 09:57 AM

It's good, just get a good coating of oil on it as you're planning on doing.

What did they charge you for the sandblasting?

ssbbqguy 01-16-2013 09:59 AM

Keep oiled and assemble. No need for burn ins or whatever. Just clean, oil and cook. Steve.

Bham_egger 01-16-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbbqguy (Post 2330518)
Keep oiled and assemble. No need for burn ins or whatever. Just clean, oil and cook. Steve.

Do I need to burn to remove the paint on the outside? I kinda want to hit it with hi temp paint.

Bham_egger 01-16-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J'ville Grill (Post 2330516)
It's good, just get a good coating of oil on it as you're planning on doing.

What did they charge you for the sandblasting?

$30 for the inside. I guess that's kinda high, but definitely with it to not waste my time on that liner.

Callahan-que 01-16-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bham_egger (Post 2330525)
$30 for the inside. I guess that's kinda high, but definitely with it to not waste my time on that liner.

No, not high at all.

jrn 01-16-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bham_egger (Post 2330524)
Do I need to burn to remove the paint on the outside? I kinda want to hit it with hi temp paint.

Yes. Burn it out till outside paint flakes off. Wash. Then rattle can with high temp paint. I usually use 2 or 3 pallets for burnout. Some businesses will give them to you. I get mine free from the local tractor supply store.

And no, you don't HAVE to do this. But you would much rather deal with it now, than you would later. Imagine trying to wire brush the old paint off, and repaint, with an already seasoned drum. Paint chips and dust all in your seasoning? At that point you WOULD have to burn it out and re-wash. :wink:

jrn 01-16-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bham_egger (Post 2330525)

That's an awesome price. I've heard anywhere from 40-60 bucks.

jrn 01-16-2013 10:40 AM

Just to elaborate a bit....

You could leave the outside paint on, maybe it'll flake off, maybe it won't. In my experience it will.

Plus the non-high temp paint might release fumes when it's heated, then it again maybe it won't. Remember it wasn't originally intended to be heated up a few hundred degrees.

Rattle can with high temp. Then there will be no peeling issues. There'll be no possible health issues. Plus a uds just looks right flat black!

ssbbqguy 01-16-2013 11:45 AM

I don't burn paint off with heat for many reasons. First, I build several and don't see the need to waste all that time and fuel, second is it hardens up the temper quicky. In my design there are enough holes to drill,it's not worth the drill bits. Third, I learned at a very early age how to use my hands and some sandpaper. Why they even make electric ones!(sanders) Takes minutes is all. All the units I build are sandblasted with light type media and are powdercoated for extra durability and looks. We can get impressive one step metalflakes or candy looks from the powder. I was getting two to three years durability on just paint when stored outside and repainting yearly. That was the main reason I switched to powder. Steve.

Pole D 01-16-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbbqguy (Post 2330626)
I don't burn paint off with heat for many reasons. First, I build several and don't see the need to waste all that time and fuel, second is it hardens up the temper quicky. In my design there are enough holes to drill,it's not worth the drill bits. Third, I learned at a very early age how to use my hands and some sandpaper. Why they even make electric ones!(sanders) Takes minutes is all. All the units I build are sandblasted with light type media and are powdercoated for extra durability and looks. We can get impressive one step metalflakes or candy looks from the powder. I was getting two to three years durability on just paint when stored outside and repainting yearly. That was the main reason I switched to powder. Steve.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but when you powder-coat do you just do the outside or do you do the entire drum?

jrn 01-16-2013 12:31 PM

Whenever I get a new barrel, first thing I do is burn it out. We do it at night, out in the field. My kids are 3 & 4 yrs old and they love it when I burn one out. They run around and play. They have a blast!

mcbrew13 01-16-2013 12:52 PM

A weed burner and propane is the way I go. Takes care of the inside and paint outside. Wash with soapy water and you're in business.

ssbbqguy 01-16-2013 01:34 PM

Not a dumb question. Just the outside, bare metal with oil for the inside. Even though there are coatings that withstand heat quite well, were not wanting to add anything that would gas off any substance inside the cooking chamber at all. Just moist, smoky heated air. Our coater makes three to four passes, which adds material to double the thickness of the barrels. Steve

jrn 01-16-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssbbqguy (Post 2330774)
Not a dumb question. Just the outside, bare metal with oil for the inside. Even though there are coatings that withstand heat quite well, were not wanting to add anything that would gas off any substance inside the cooking chamber at all. Just moist, smoky heated air. Our coater makes three to four passes, which adds material to double the thickness of the barrels. Steve

Wonder if the powder coating helps insulate it? You'd think it would. Steve if you don't mind, what kind of price might a fellow be looking at to have one powder coated?