My 1st UDS Build

bimmerdad

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well, after reading the forum for awhile, and after treading the lengthy "Ugly Drum Smoker" thread, I decided to try to build one.

I was unable to fine a 55 gallon drum locally that was opened and didn't have a liner so I bought one with a liner. I had read all the advice about not getting one with the liner but I also saw where people had successfully removed it. I tried to find someone in my area that would sandblast it but the only place I could find wanted $85 per hour with an hour minimum. So since I have more time than money I figured I'd give it a shot trying to remove it myself..

The first thing I did was to try and remove it with my pressure washer, didn't work. Next I bought a weed burner from HF. It took the paint off the outside, the liner on the inside started to peel in a few places. I left that burner on a few spots for a long time but that didn't seem to have any effect, at least that I could tell. It did turn the liner a white/pink though.

Next, I drilled the bottom holes as well as the holes for the rack supports an started a fire. This morning when I looked there is still some pink left in the middle of the drum.

So, if some of you would be so kind as to take a look at the photo of my drum and give me some advice on what my next step should be I would appreciate it. BTW, I'm a pretty big fellow so try to fit my big body inside a drum to grind it out my not work.

Thanks in advance

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmgoods/7487808782/in/set-72157630388943252"]IMAG0614 copy_web | Flickr - Photo Sharing![/ame]

its a pain but an angle grinder will get that out. Use paint & rust remover discs.

McGlock, I'll see if I can get far enough in to get to the bottom but it sure doesn't look like I'm going to fit.

Hire a HS kid for a few bucks to grind it out for ya.

Bludawg, Hell, I have one of those at the house but I don't know if I trust him with a grinder. :cool:

I just went out and although I'm wide, I'm a decent height and I can almost do it by bending over into it and keep my head out of the drum.

Good Idea about getting someone else to do it.

UPDATE:

Okay, I've gotten to the point where I started seasoning my UDS. I bought the standard Blue, Red, White dial thermometer and mounted it. The highest temp it would read was 220 so i pulled out another long dial probe and digital thermometer and placed them through the 2" exhaust in the top lid. They were reading about 150 degrees higher than the side mounted dial thermometer. They reading from top grate level, about 3" from the top.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is the side mounted thermometer bad since the other 2 match each other? Is it possible for there to be that much of a difference in temp?

My experience is that the side mounted stat will come around to being closer to the grill temp about two hours into the cook. If you monitor the grill level and the top, and the side mount, after some experience with your drum, you will pretty much know what is happening inside on your cook. If you are within 20 degrees or so of what you want to smoke, you are good to go. Not much is so critical as to need the temps right on your target temp.

I said all that to say don't try to micro manage your temps to 5 or 10 degrees.
It takes all the fun out of your cook. Take the fun out, and that ruins the cook for me. YMMV :blabla:

Retired Trucker, I let it cook for 6 hours and the side mounted was always 150 degrees lower. I think I need to do a boil test on it, it shouldn't be that far off IMO.

Good idea on the boil test. I have a long turkey therm on mine under the grate, and it reads within 25 degrees of my Maverick 732. Cost about $5 plus a fitting to put it into.

The side mounted therm. probe is not directly in the heat column. you need a probe that is at least 6"-8" before you'll get close to correct temps. Or you could get a digital therm and lay the probe on the grill above the center of the coal basket...

@razrbakcrzy, is it possible to be off by 150 degrees? I'm new to this so, I don't know. That seems like alot to be off by though.

yes, depending on the lenght of the probe and the diameter of your coal basket. Also if your coal basket is offset just a little in the bottom of your drum you could easily be off by 100° I've seen people think they were cooking a 225° and burn their stuff to a crisp in 5 hrs... My best suggestion is to get a digital therm and lay it on the grate above the coal basket and you will get much mor accurate temps.

To get a little more longevity out of your temp probe on the digital therm. Buy some heat shrink and cover the joint between the wire and the probe with the heat shrink it will help....

Back