The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Easiest UDS Drum to use for a build? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150934)

grilling24x7 01-05-2013 09:54 PM

Easiest UDS Drum to use for a build?

So I've read the redneck UDS thread and skimmed through the big 500 page one. I'm reading all this stuff about linings in the 55 gallon drum and how hard it is to scrub off.

I'm aware that a good burn out is needed on any drum you are going to use as a UDS but which type doesn't require too much scrubbing and painful cleaning? I read some guys saying the "red liner" is a no-no but others say that liner comes right off.

I'm a bit confused. I don't mind buying a new drum even though I see that some guys are getting them for free, but...

What's the easiest type of 55 gallon drum to use in terms of that initial clean/burn out?

Thanks!

John

HeSmellsLikeSmoke 01-05-2013 09:58 PM

Unlined, unused, open top drum.

grilling24x7 01-05-2013 10:14 PM

Thanks!

That makes sense.

Now the search for one begins!

bo_b_q 01-05-2013 10:20 PM

Mine was used for motor oil...no liner as the oil kept it from rusting...just burned it out, used a leaf blower to add some extra air to get it good and hot, then a quick spray with the pressure washer.

Link to my build if it helps...nothing to different but you can see the burn out process.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=149301

gtr 01-05-2013 10:25 PM

See if there's a drum company in your area. There is one in L.A. called "Apex Drum" that sells drums including refurbs. If you find such a place, ask for a refurb but tell them to not put in the rust inhibitor. Grab the drum and oil/greasre it right away and season as soon as you can.

Enkidu 01-05-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtr (Post 2318492)
See if there's a drum company in your area. There is one in L.A. called "Apex Drum" that sells drums including refurbs.

This is where I am buying mine.

jrn 01-05-2013 11:26 PM

If your going for the easiest ones, stay away from any with liners. You can make fine cookers with either the open or closed top barrels.

Foxfire 01-06-2013 12:50 AM

You also have the option of getting any food grade drum sandblasted down to bare steel. Usually $40 to $60 if you comparison shop enough.

dupemaster 01-06-2013 01:56 AM

Like mentioned above, a new, unlined, open headed drum is the easiest to do. do a google search on local supliers. I found them for under $100 localy.

grilling24x7 01-07-2013 06:52 AM

Thanks guys,
I found a local supplier with a reconditioned drum for $38. I asked whether it had a lining and at first the lady hesitated but then said it has no lining (unlined).

When a drum is reconditioned, if there was a liner, is it all removed and pretty much stripped down to just a steel barrel? She offered a new barrel for $91.

jrn 01-07-2013 09:05 AM

As far as new drums go, the Cary Company had the best online prices that I saw. Investigate locally too. I was ready to give up finding good drums locally. Then I spoke to a Brethren from my same hometown who told me where to look. The place is a hair care products manufacturer. They dont advertise the barrels, just word of mouth. Closed top drums that were previously filled with light mineral oil. $20 a barrel all day long. No liners!

Don't give up looking. There may be good barrels right around you.

Jason :)

jrn 01-07-2013 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=grilling24x7;2319818]Thanks guys,
I found a local supplier with a reconditioned drum for $38. I asked whether it had a lining and at first the lady hesitated but then said it has no lining (unlined).

When a drum is reconditioned, if there was a liner, is it all removed and pretty much stripped down to just a steel barrel? She offered a new barrel for $91.[/QUOTE

Just a thought on reconditioned barrels. You're basically taking someone's word about what might have been in barrel previously.

grilling24x7 01-07-2013 09:20 AM

correction - I just found a drum supplier in Baltimore that has new unlined 55 gallon drums for $70. I think that's a winner.

jrn 01-07-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grilling24x7 (Post 2319912)
correction - I just found a drum supplier in Baltimore that has new unlined 55 gallon drums for $70. I think that's a winner.

Cool! Your on your way. You're going to love cooking on it!

SmokerKing 01-07-2013 09:39 AM

Brand new un-lined drums are $70