The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Jiggly brisket on no reservations (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143835)

infernooo 09-13-2012 12:12 AM

Jiggly brisket on no reservations

Taken from this thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143631

I thought some who have not seen the episode of the show or do not have access to re-runs may like to see the jiggle spoken of ;)

Here it is, the money shot footage is around 40s in until 50s in:

EDIT, while I'm doing the brisket pr0n, one of my old favourites showing what happens if you slice into a just cooked brisket and how much juice they actually have:

kev2lz 09-13-2012 12:22 AM

It's almost 12:30 and now I'm hungry! I have a 12#, choice packer in the garage fridge, but it's too late to smoke!

IamMadMan 09-13-2012 06:23 AM

Thanks for sharing.......

buccaneer 09-13-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2lz (Post 2210299)
It's almost 12:30 and now I'm hungry! I have a 12#, choice packer in the garage fridge, but it's too late to smoke!

Phubes and Kathy tell us it's never too late to smoke:twitch:

CarolinaQue 09-13-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneer (Post 2210359)
Phubes and Kathy tell us it's never too late to smoke:twitch:

I heard that was Australia's unofficial motto???:laugh:

Vision 09-13-2012 07:51 AM

That's the jiggle at 40sec. If you notice I believe the point is on top and that is what produces most of the movement.

Thanks for posting this infernooo!

If I can make a suggestion, can you do another that has the entire franklin segment in it? There's a little bit of the beginning missing. Just a thought.

TurboDog 09-13-2012 08:30 AM

What kind of temps does he cook those at?

CarolinaQue 09-13-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 2210466)
What kind of temps does he cook those at?

275* - 300* I believe. But he holds them in a 200* warming oven for the rest until they are needed for serving.

TurboDog 09-13-2012 08:49 AM

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that he cooked around those temps , but the way they were going on and on about how the smoke ring meant it was held at a low enough temperature for so long had me wondering. The brisket looks fantastic though , I sure wish I could get those results myself.

CarolinaQue 09-13-2012 08:53 AM

You can. Here's a tutorial of a cook I did after I saw that episode and I was brought back down to reality of what a great brisket is and how to get there from here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143631

Vision 09-13-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 2210485)
but the way they were going on and on about how the smoke ring meant it was held at a low enough temperature for so long had me wondering.

And they are wrong.

CarolinaQue 09-13-2012 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=TurboDog;2210485] but the way they were going on and on about how the smoke ring meant it was held at a low enough temperature for so long had me wondering. QUOTE]

I think that the guy meant that it wasn't cooked hot and fast, say, in the 350* range, but rather, it was cooked at a low enough tempurature to take the smoke on better and that's the reasoning behind the smoke ring. I don't necessarily subscribe to that notion. I don't cook hot and fast, but I have seen and tasted the result of friends of mine that do and there is definately a smoke ring. It may not be as pronounced, but there is definately one there.

As a side note though, I have no idea who the guy is that's with him that was "educating" Tony on BBQ. He may not even cook 'que himself, so I'm not sure what first hand experience he has regarding what particular process/technique gives specific results. All that was obvious to me is that he knows how to consume quite a bit of it.

SmokeFan 09-13-2012 11:02 AM

I cooked a decent size pork roast last night between 400-450(alternating between direct and indirect side of my BGE), and it had a pronounced smoke ring. Even more so than on some of my longer cooks. This is not the first or only time I've had that happen either. It happens when I cook pork tenderloins all the time as well.

I don't profess to know all the chemistry, but it would appear that temperature alone is not the determining variable.

neuyawk 09-13-2012 11:10 AM

[quote=CarolinaQue;2210550]
Quote:

Originally Posted by TurboDog (Post 2210485)
but the way they were going on and on about how the smoke ring meant it was held at a low enough temperature for so long had me wondering. QUOTE]

As a side note though, I have no idea who the guy is that's with him that was "educating" Tony on BBQ. He may not even cook 'que himself, so I'm not sure what first hand experience he has regarding what particular process/technique gives specific results. All that was obvious to me is that he knows how to consume quite a bit of it.

It's this guy who has a blog called "Full Custom Gospel", who blogs about these different places in Texas.

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2012/09/tony-and-me.html

So I guess he's a great eater of BBQ. I'm not sure if he BBQs himself.

AZScott 09-13-2012 11:10 AM

If you have read and watched a lot of his interviews, he has said a lot of different things about his brisket. Not once has he ever said he cooks hot and fast. His cook times are always really long according to him but there is a wide variation in temps mentioned as well as when he wraps, when he puts them in the hot box, how hot that hot box is, how long he holds them, etc. The guy is never consistent in what he says other than "low and slow", he doesn't inject and that salt and pepper is the only seasoning used. I've also found that when I cook a brisket with salt and pepper and wrap in parchment / butcher paper and hold in the smoker my bark still has a little crispness to it. I've always heard from people that the bark is soft on his briskets. Perhaps he's stacking the briskets on top of each other in the hot box and the bark is softening up.

Tim, the guy with him is Daniel Vaughn with the blog Full Custom Gospel BBQ.