The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rate My Rib Box (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133629)

KevinK 05-21-2012 09:25 AM

Rate My Rib Box

1 Attachment(s)
This is the first box I've put together. We twisted parsley together to make a nice solid base. Looking for good, honest feed back on garnish and ribs. Figured might want to start trying to build some boxes before the first competition! ; )

Ron_L 05-21-2012 09:31 AM

It would be a lot easier if the box was rotated 90 degrees so the open edge was facing us. That's the angle that the judges will see.

The garnish looks good. it provides a nice base for the meat and that's it's job.

The ribs look dry to me. A nice glaze of sauce would make them shine. Also, some of the cuts look rough, especially the rib at the top-right. The top corner looks like it is missing a chunk. It always looks best if you can have the ribs from the same rack and in the same order in the rack. Things just look more uniform that way.

KevinK 05-21-2012 09:40 AM

Rotated the pic Ron. Thanks for the feedback!

MattyB 05-21-2012 09:52 AM

I agree with Ron. Even if your ribs are juicy and tender, you eat with your eyes first. Go with the rib glaze and give it a nice spray of apple juice/peach juice/honey type mixture (if you're spraying your ribs down...) right before you turn them in.

walrus79 05-21-2012 09:57 AM

Looks like a couple of sauce spots in the back of the box...just hit those with a paper towel. The little stuff can be the difference between an 8 and 9. I'd likely go 8 on those. Agree with the comments above...easy fixes and you're right there.

abigroot 05-21-2012 11:04 AM

But aren't the judges supposed to judge the appearance of the MEAT and not the container?? Section three of the 2012 official Rules and Regulations Judging Procedures

3) Each Judge will first score all the samples for appearance of the meat......

Human nature will take over when you see a messy container, but a good judge will be able to remove that from his evaluation of the appearance of the meat and score accordingly. The same goes for the garnish, I could have no garnish and the judges should react the same to someone who spends an hour arranging their garnish. The contest is not about the garnish, but rather the meat.

walrus79 05-21-2012 11:14 AM

I agree, but judges only judging the meat simply isn't reality. I referenced feedback from above which I agreed with that spoke directly about the meat which is where I would base nearly all of my decision on. To me, the little imperfections that are non meat related come into play in my mind, when I'm on the fence between a score. If I'm on the fence, a neat box gets that 9 vs. an 8 and visa versa.

Stoke&Smoke 05-21-2012 11:14 AM

a spot inside the lid of the box should NOT be considered. That could be caused by any number of things beyond the control of the cook.

I think the garnish looks ok, but the ribs look dry, as ron said. Also, what is the light area top right of the front right rib, bone? looks odd

I'd say a 7 or maybe an 8 if I was in a generous mood on this box

bbq.tom 05-21-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abigroot (Post 2061815)
But aren't the judges supposed to judge the appearance of the MEAT and not the container?? Section three of the 2012 official Rules and Regulations Judging Procedures

Human nature will take over when you see a messy container, but a good judge will be able to remove that from his evaluation of the appearance of the meat and score accordingly. The same goes for the garnish, I could have no garnish and the judges should react the same to someone who spends an hour arranging their garnish. The contest is not about the garnish, but rather the meat.

You are absolutely correct; HOWEVER, that "human nature" you mentioned is what cooks must usually contend with. Not all judges ignore everything except the meat - after all, the overall appearance is what you notice first and it is sometimes difficult to ignore glaring issues with the box/garnish other than just the meat.

Now, in answer to the OP - the garnish looks GREAT! You've built a nice platform for the ribs to sit upon which helps to highlight the meat. The ribs themselves look dry and unevenly cut / too dissimilar to be a 9. IMHO.

CMALANGA 05-21-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abigroot (Post 2061815)

Ah yes, I recognize the sentiments of this response, and I agree with you in spirit. They sound like the ideals I had crushed under the yoke of actual contest results by actual human contest judges. Reality is reality. I'd give the box a 7. Average. I agree with the previous feedback on the "dry" look and the splatter. There's also a missing piece of one corner of the ribs that should have been filled in at least with sauce. I agree with one of gents that posted earlier, the little details, seem to make a difference.

Jaskew82 05-21-2012 12:20 PM

I looked quickly to simulate what the judges will see and here is my initial feedback.

The ribs looked kind of dry. I know when you glaze food and take a pic, it comes out crazy glossy looking and these don't look like that at all. Which makes me think they are dry ribs. Personally, I love dry ribs but its my impression (which is not necessarily right) that judges prefer sauced ribs).

I would also be sure to use a damp paper towel and wipe off all the sauce that is on the box. Try to cut the ribs a little straighter, there are a few small gaps.

If I were to score it, I would easily give this a 7 but probably an 8. if there was more visible pull back of the meat revealing bone, It's an easy 8 if not 9.

Ryan Chester 05-21-2012 12:31 PM

I know its been said but give them a shine and your good to go. Doesn't have to look like armor all but give them something.

KevinK 05-21-2012 01:07 PM

Thanks all for the feedback! Sounds like a light glaze is the way to go for ribs. Missing piece was broken off piece of meat b/c ribs were slightly overcooked and knife needs sharpened. Nervous and excited for first comp, sooooo much to learn with competition BBQ!