The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Competition BBQ (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   American Royal- new schedule??? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25669)

Greatgrills 03-31-2007 05:23 PM

American Royal- new schedule???

Has anyone else seen that they have changed the layout for the royal? Used to be that you would cook the Invite on Thursday and turn in on Friday and then cook the Open on Friday and turn in on Saturday. Well now it is cook Invite on Friday and turn in Saturday along with all the sides if you choose to do them and then the Open is cook on Saturday and turn in on Sunday.

DeanC 03-31-2007 05:55 PM

Wow, I thought they were going to wait until next year to do this, oh well. Guess I will have to switch the vacation request from Thursday to Monday. I do like turning in the sides a day early, three less things to worry about in the morning.

Jeff_in_KC 03-31-2007 09:30 PM

That's just stupid IMO. The Great American BBQ can get away with it since the contest is on a holiday weekend and most folks are off work on Monday. No way would I want to cook on Saturday and Sunday and go to work after that long arse awards ceremony following the Open! GEEZ!

DeanC 03-31-2007 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC (Post 372304)
That's just stupid IMO. The Great American BBQ can get away with it since the contest is on a holiday weekend and most folks are off work on Monday. No way would I want to cook on Saturday and Sunday and go to work after that long arse awards ceremony following the Open! GEEZ!

I agree, I wonder if it will effect the turnout. Luckily I am thirty minutes from my house, it would really suck for the out of state teams. The awards ceremony was quite shorter in 06, I bet it will be even shorter without the side dish categories this year. I bet a lot of the out of state invite teams will skip the open, then again maybe not. Obviously they want the revenue from large party crowds on Friday and Saturday night, hell maybe even Thursday with the poker game. You going Jeff?

Jeff_in_KC 03-31-2007 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanC (Post 372317)
You going Jeff?

Not unless I luck into an invite this year! :wink:

If not, I'm sure we'll be out there to consume someone's adult beverages.:twisted:

Greatgrills 03-31-2007 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC (Post 372326)
Not unless I luck into an invite this year! :wink:

If not, I'm sure we'll be out there to consume someone's adult beverages.:twisted:

You are more then welcome to come and consume our adult beverages...

HoDeDo 03-31-2007 10:51 PM

I'm not a fan - It will be interesting to see how many people move thier big parties to Sat. night... They are doing it to drive more revenue on Sat. Night - they want the crowds big both nights. I'm sure the big Fri. night corp. parties will work well with the invitational...:roll:

If nothing else.... it will be interesting!!!

Jeff_in_KC 03-31-2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatgrills (Post 372343)
You are more then welcome to come and consume our adult beverages...

Thanks Becky and Mark! I'll keep that in mind!

Jaberwabee 04-01-2007 09:51 PM

This will be the first year I can even go due to work, hope to see and meet some of you Farkers there. I used to go in the early 90's but it wasnt like it is now by any means.

ChipotlePat 04-01-2007 10:56 PM

I bet that are not worred about a cuple of the smaller teams not show up It is the AM. Royal they have 450+ teams. BUT the one Thing that we all want to see is More $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all not the top 10 make it the Top 20 and start it at $100 the starting point becues they are gowing to MAKE $1,000,000+ so I want more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$

Jorge 04-01-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipotlePat (Post 372979)
I bet that are not worred about a cuple of the smaller teams not show up It is the AM. Royal they have 450+ teams. BUT the one Thing that we all want to see is More $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all not the top 10 make it the Top 20 and start it at $100 the starting point becues they are gowing to MAKE $1,000,000+ so I want more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$

Unless I'm mistaken, that is scholarship money. Am I wrong?

MoKanMeathead 04-02-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipotlePat (Post 372979)
BUT the one Thing that we all want to see is More $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all not the top 10 make it the Top 20 and start it at $100 the starting point becues they are gowing to MAKE $1,000,000+ so I want more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$

The ARBBQ payout already goes to 20 places - 16th through 20th get $100.

Personally I don't see the big deal moving it back a day - no difference to me if I take off from work Thursday or Monday. The only real issue is that the ARBBQ comittees believe that the big parties (corporate) will still be on Friday night. That could be a huge problem with some of the invitational teams that are try to focus on what they are doing.

If the parties move to Saturday night (like ours) then I don't really see what the big deal is.

Plowboy 04-02-2007 12:03 PM

What they really need is a better location from what I understand. (Never been.) I hear parking sucks and all of that. The stadiums would be an excellent venue, but then the AR wouldn't be able to use THEIR facility.

drbbq 04-02-2007 12:41 PM

When did making money become a bad thing? I do it every chance I get and I make as much as I can. And yes, I believe most of that goes to scholarships or at least to worthy causes.
I think once everyone gets over being freaked by the concept of "change", it will be a great three day event. I'm looking forward to it and may even cook the sides under the new schedule.

Kung Fu BBQ 04-02-2007 10:24 PM

American Royal BBQ Extended Schedule`

I swear i looked for this topic before I posted that release.