The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Knives and such. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152656)

Mo-Dave 01-29-2013 02:20 PM

Knives and such.

I am looking at the Mark Richmond Gyuto Artifex 210, not a real expensive knife at 74.00 but a lot better than what I have now. I would like to have the addict but I think a 240 mm is just a bit long for me on the blade, what do you prefer in length? The addict is more, but has a better grade of steel and I like the height of the heel 46.5 vs 43.4 on the Artifex 210, but the Addict only comes in 240 or larger, and the Artifex can be had in the 240 mm.

Still trying to justify getting the Wicked edge system but it is a goodly amount to spend, even on the cheap side of 275.00, and I would need some other grits ect. This is especially true when Bucc just posted about a stone from JCK for 70.00, just not sure I can master the angles and the Wicked Edge should make that a much easier why to go, but an expensive one.

I am not set on the Richmond the question was more geared for the issue of length. I know there are others just as good or better, its just a good price range for me, and I have heard good things about them.
Dave
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar24gy.html

landarc 01-29-2013 02:36 PM

Essentially, you are talking a small difference, an inch between 210mm and 240mm, 8" versus 9" is not much. If I was buying a one-knife-for-all-duties knife, I would get the 240mm. Of course, this is an eternal debate, I have had great cooks argue both sides, that a shorter chef's knife is lighter and more responsive...a longer one is more versatile and offers longer stroke length to get more work done.

Mo-Dave 01-29-2013 02:50 PM

Yes not much difference but I have a 7 1/4, 8 inch and a 9 inch and find I reach for the 7 1/4 or 8 much more often then the 9, and don't want to pay for something that will just sit.
Dave

landarc 01-29-2013 02:51 PM

Then that choice is obvious. Now, all you have to do is decide, do I want a really cool knife sharpening system, or not.

Offthehook 01-29-2013 03:01 PM

Most of my go to knives are 8 inch.

Mo-Dave 01-29-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2346651)
Then that choice is obvious. Now, all you have to do is decide, do I want a really cool knife sharpening system, or not.

Well yes I guess I do. I have several systems and they are fine, just a lot more work to set up, my hands are not a nimble as they once were. I really want a much more cool knife and would love to have a Damascus but have not found anything in my price range. Although I did find an IKEA Slitbar Damascus, but can not find anything out about the steel except it is a hard steel clad with a softer one. That and the price of 50.00 has me a little worried.
David

Mo-Dave 01-29-2013 03:40 PM

The one thought I had for buying the Wicked Edge is I could probably get buy with just sharpening my knives I now own just more often.
Dave

Flat_Rate 01-29-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo-Dave (Post 2346736)
The one thought I had for buying the Wicked Edge is I could probably get buy with just sharpening my knives I now own just more often.
Dave

And the fact that they are on intergalactic backorder, have been for months now.

JazzyBadger 01-29-2013 03:57 PM

My plan is to get this:
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/images/Img536.jpgFrom: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSeries.html

The 270mm, I've been checking out 10" knives, and I think I can handle it pretty well at this point. With the family size I deal with though I'm chopping enough freaking veggies everyday to justify the extra length.

I'll most likely be picking up a petty off of there as well, then I might just get into the Chinese Cleaver world... I still need to tinker with them more, but man they sound awesome once you get used to them.

I talked to our man Bucc about all this stuff, and after hearing from him and then checking out other forums, reviews, chefs opinions, blah blah blah, it definitely confirmed to me our oZZie brother knows his chit. I wouldn't have asked him had I thought he didn't though.

landarc 01-29-2013 04:04 PM

Meh, Japanese steel, terrible stuff. Aussies, what do they know about knives anyways?

:tongue:

landarc 01-29-2013 04:06 PM

I know of no true Damascus blade that would sell for anywhere under $300. A laminated blade like that can be very good.

Mo-Dave 01-29-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarc (Post 2346764)
I know of no true Damascus blade that would sell for anywhere under $300. A laminated blade like that can be very good.

They say it is a true Damascus, but I have my reservations.
Dave

Happy Hapgood 01-29-2013 05:25 PM

Have you looked at the Henckels? Upper end but not over the top.

landarc 01-29-2013 05:28 PM

It isn't, and neither is any other modern steel blade. True Damascus has not been made for at least 250 years. And the steel would have to be Indian in origin. Now, what we now call true Damascus is really a forge welded steel product, that uses two different high carbon steels to create a blade with a patterned blade. It is a beautiful work of art to be sure. But, it requires real craftsmanship and skill, something a lower cost knife simply will not have.

That being said, there are many great steels out there, and they can be either stamped or forged, that will be amazing knives. I just recently got a great little Tosagata knife from Tosa, Japan, it is a forge welded Hitachi white steel, inside of a Japanese black iron sheath. And it it a great little trimming and fruit knife. Under $100 too.

Mo-Dave 01-29-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flat_Rate (Post 2346743)
And the fact that they are on intergalactic backorder, have been for months now.

I found a few on ebay but a little pricey. There was someone on this forum before Christmas that had some but I can not recall who, and I guess I did not bookmark the site.
Dave