Workin on my baking

LT72884

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Ello all. been a while since i posted. Calc2 math class is taking all of my time. so i have not been able to cook as much. However, I have been teaching artisan bread baking classes to people in my area. They have wanted to learn how to make it at home without the fancy commercial ovens. The classes are fun. I give them handouts, recipes, let them make and shape their dough and then we bake a few loafs in class to show how to do it and then i send them home with a dvd of some videos that cover the entire class.

People love it. So i have been practicing methods used to steam bread. The easiest method so far is to use a disposable deep dish lasagna pan. I have even used a electric steamer before to see if that would work. haha

Some people have a hard time spending 40$ on a baking stone so i have had to come up with ways to get around that. I have found that using a tera cotta stone works well, a good cookie sheet, a cast iron skillet, or even a outdoor dutchoven. haha.

This loaf pictured was baked with a flower pot covering it. It was also placed on a stone. I am going to be teaching this method in my second class where we talk about more advanced baking styles and recipes such as pork buns, spinach and feta bread etc etc.

So here is a photo of my newest loaf. I baked some french bagetts but the pics looked funky. Anyway here is the loaf.

IMAG1330.jpg

enjoy.

thanks for lookin!

That's a great looking loaf. I've been making some bread recently using recipes from Michael Rhulman's book, Ratio. He suggests the DO method in that book and it really does turn out some fine bread.

I am intrigued by this flower pot method. On a related note, we have a new oven coming shortly . . . :twisted:

Awesome. I use a dutch oven in my oven and works great. I haven't tried my pizza stone yet, but if I do, I'll put my dutch oven over it.

Back