The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Temperature Probes (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171770)

Diesel Dave 09-24-2013 05:46 PM

Temperature Probes

OK I'm picking up a Lang 60 Deluxe next Friday from brother Firefighter and am wondering which probes would be best.
I see the blu therm duo advertised at the top of the pages here but am wondering what do you folks use?
I will be doing some catering and comps with this cooker so I have no issue buying the highly recommended ones.

Thanks as always folks, you're all great!

Ron_L 09-24-2013 06:32 PM

All I use anymore is my Thermapen. I don't monitor meat temps during the cook at all.

Diesel Dave 09-24-2013 07:21 PM

Thanks Ron

Garrett 09-24-2013 07:33 PM

I use a cheap Taylor brand from Target, nothing fancy but it helps me to be able to S.W.A.G. when supper will be ready.

S.W.A.G.= Scientific Wild Arse Guess

Diesel Dave 09-24-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

S.W.A.G.= Scientific Wild Arse Guess
That is classic!!!!! Got to write it down......don't remember things too well sometimes

MeatCandy 09-24-2013 08:28 PM

When I use one...I use the Maverick 732 both ports with pit probes...this way I can "see" whats-what...Works fine...I guess there are some newer models too...Maverick are a good low cost solution...

peeps 09-24-2013 08:32 PM

5-0 BBQ is supposed to be introducing new Maverick probes that are more robust. Might wait to make a decision then...

sliding_billy 09-25-2013 02:29 AM

I use a 732 during the cook to give me an idea of where things are without having to go in and out of the pit, and then I use a Thermapen at the end (serves as the "probe tender indicator" as well :mrgreen:).

Diesel Dave 09-25-2013 04:56 AM

Thanks for the input, much appreciated

ebijack 09-25-2013 05:07 AM

I have a Maverick, but don't use it that much as I've been using a cheap dial type for so many years I have more confidence in that. Dang Maverick has stopped reading so many times during a long smoke I almost threw it away. I just go by experience and with the dial type it does not need batteries. And like mentioned, I use the dial gauge as my "probe tender".
Did you finish your smoker build yet Dave?

Diesel Dave 09-25-2013 05:12 AM

Thanks for the input. I use the ole dials as well, just wondering others experiences and if the newer ones are worth it.
No I haven't finished it yet but it's real close to getting painted.
between my boys schedule and mine, there hasn't been a lot of lets get it done time lol
Hopefully by the end of next week.
Thanks for askin about it though.

retired trucker 09-25-2013 09:24 AM

I use my 732 with every cook that involves a large hunk of meat. I back that up with the installed gauges and have learned what they read in reference to the Maverick, so if the Maverick fails (it hasn't yet in 2 years) I can know where my cook is. I don't rely on the Maverick to tell when the meat (brisket, etc) is done, as I use the probe test, or bend test to determine when the meat is ready.

The Maverick gives me a lot of information about my cook without opening up the lid on my UDS to physically check. (This means more sleep or freedom to do other things while smoking.) Best accessory for my Q that I have bought.

Blessings,
Omar

Diesel Dave 09-25-2013 01:56 PM

I really appreciate all the input. Thanks

peeps 09-25-2013 02:00 PM

Dave, the nice thing about the Bluetherm Duo (though I don't have one) is that it uses a standard thermocouple that can be purchased from a variety of BBQ or instrument suppliers. With Maverick, you are stuck with Maverick.

Diesel Dave 09-25-2013 02:06 PM

Hmmmm thanks for that info, I never thought of that.