washing raw meat?

watg?

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Along the lines of competition sanitation, what are your thoughts and or rules / suggestions on washing /rinsing your meat when it comes out of the package before begining prep work?

I always rinse meat off in cold water prior to doing any work...just to get the slime off.

Personally, I use Dawn! The lemon citris flavor adds something.

2007-04-22PrimeRib2.jpg

P.S. I'm kidding of course. I sometimes will rinse though.

I understand that you dont have to rinse the meat because cooking kills whatever lies on the surface but it makes me feel better about it.

Along the lines of competition sanitation, what are your thoughts and or rules / suggestions on washing /rinsing your meat when it comes out of the package before begining prep work?

Vinegar does a good job at cleaning off and killing any bacterial buildup on the meat after removing from the cryo. I find it particularly useful with a wet aged brisket to remove some of the musty odors and blood from the exterior.

The long cooking process though probably handles any sanitation concern.

I keep a spray bottle with one cup apple cider vinegar and 3 cups water.
I spray all my meat down well and then rinse with cold water and dry with paper towels prior to prepping.

If you try it once you will most likely make it a habit.

Eliminates any odor and kills any surface bacteria.
Eliminates the slime from the meat and makes it much easier to handle.

I spray all my meat down well and then rinse with cold water and dry with paper towels prior to prepping.

Jimmy, this sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

i rince all meats with water once it comes out of the package , then give them a light rub down with cider or rice vinegar .

I always rinse with cold water, and some times again with white vinegar.

We always wash the blood and goo of of everything. Being we age briskets they sometimes look kinda funky and you have to do it.

Great tip, Jimmy! Wouldn't have saved my nasty arse ribs at my last contest but makes a ton of sense. That's why you are, technically, da man.:biggrin:

rincing meat

I will sometime rince the brisket if it musky, other than that no.

Good tip Jimmy. I usually just rinsed with cold water and patted dry with paper towels but I'm going to try this.

That slime sure makes it hard to handle a big ole butt or packer with gloves on.

A lot of the babybacks that I have purchased recently from Sams have a lot of bone and slime on them and I rinse them. I have never rinsed anything else, but now I will try the apple vinegar w/water, thanks.

I, like ZBQ, have been merely rinsing and patting dry.
The vinegar/water idea sounds like a better way to go.
Sometimes that slime is pretty nasty.:|
Great tips, guys!

I understand that you dont have to rinse the meat because cooking kills whatever lies on the surface but it makes me feel better about it.
Ditto:biggrin:

I don't see any reason to rinse meats that have been cryovac'd. Unless it smells really bad, and then in that case it might be.
Every now and then I get a package of ribs that has a real strong sulfur smell to it.
BOOM! In the trash.

What technique do you guys recommend for rinsing/washing cryo'd meats in a competition setting? This is of course when you're lacking a sink.

I wouldn't want to put it near any of my wash tubs.

Spray it down with the hose :lol: ?

What technique do you guys recommend for rinsing/washing cryo'd meats in a competition setting? This is of course when you're lacking a sink.

I wouldn't want to put it near any of my wash tubs.

Spray it down with the hose :lol: ?

Post #'s 2 & 3 above from Chris and Jimmy seem like fine options.. the hose would work too.

Back