The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Best types of sandwich buns for pulled pork and brisket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179879)

stevevanegeren 01-21-2014 10:48 AM

Best types of sandwich buns for pulled pork and brisket

Hello,

If those of you who have had success selling sandwiches (catering or food truck) would share with me the types, i.e. kaiser, etc. and diameter size of buns you have had the most success with I would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Pyle's BBQ 01-21-2014 04:41 PM

I use a 4" hamburger bun from Rotella. They cost $.235 each. I do put 5 oz of meat on these and they look full.

Mammoth Mountain 01-21-2014 04:47 PM

I use " Dutch Crunch Rolls" They hold up to the last bite.

HBMTN 01-21-2014 07:57 PM

I use a 4" Flowers bun. When I started out I used a 4 1/2" and that bun holds way more meat (too much) than the 4"

The Drill Sargent 01-21-2014 08:20 PM

Depends on the use, dinner/Lunch- non seeded hamburger bun or Pretzel buns. Appetizer we use hawaiian rolls or a slider bun.

Simply Smoked 01-21-2014 08:34 PM

Martin's Potato Rolls. Regular size for meals, sliders size for everything else.

IamMadMan 01-21-2014 09:13 PM

Just like building a home, it is only as good as the foundation it is built upon. In my personal opinion the roll / bread is the foundation of any sandwich. Any bread or roll will work, but a better roll can make a better sandwich.

In the end it is what the customer wants vs what the vendor wishes to pay, somewhere in between lies the compromise of your selection. Raising the price of the sandwich to include the cost of a nice brioche roll in the poor section of town probably wouldn't work. But it might be something the middle class in another section would prefer.

Bottom line is to know your customers and target their needs. I am sure they would all rather have a steak, but would they all be willing to pay the price for it?

When catering I can surmise the level of the customer and suggest accordingly to what I think the customer wants, let them choose and adjust the costs if necessary.

I've never managed a restaurant, but I imagine the same can hold true, offer it on a different roll for a little more to cover the expense and overhead of the choice. The roll would probably have to used for something else as well or it wouldn't pay to have them on hand.

marubozo 01-21-2014 09:31 PM

I offer both a locally baked brioche and pretzel bun. People are split about 50/50 on what they prefer. Sure, they cost twice as much, but everyone around here is using the cheapest, tasteless, bargain bin buns. I wouldn't even serve a sloppy joe on them, but that's what places are offering. But for 18 cents more per sandwich and having people actually compliment the bread is more than worth it.

IamMadMan 01-21-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marubozo (Post 2774396)
I offer both a locally baked brioche and pretzel bun. People are split about 50/50 on what they prefer. Sure, they cost twice as much, but everyone around here is using the cheapest, tasteless, bargain bin buns. I wouldn't even serve a sloppy joe on them, but that's what places are offering. But for 18 cents more per sandwich and having people actually compliment the bread is more than worth it.

Even in a bad economic times, quality does matter.

Your post also indicates that you take pride in what you offer, kudos...

BigBellyBBQ 01-22-2014 02:44 AM

local bakery rolls...I will not use a hamburger bun

stevevanegeren 01-22-2014 12:45 PM

thank you

thank you for the advice, much appreciated

TailGateJoecom 01-22-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marubozo (Post 2774396)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ (Post 2774549)
local bakery rolls...I will not use a hamburger bun

That's the move. To be honest, to 99.5% of people, the look of the bun is what will make the biggest impression when looking at the sandwich and deciding to buy one, whether they realize it or not. From a few feet away, all the pulled pork will look about the same.

jeffry1970 01-22-2014 08:02 PM

I think we're lucky in the New York, jersey philly area because we have access to the best bread in the country. We use a local bakery that makes a really nice roll that's somewhere between a typical burger bun and a kaiser.
The bread can make or break the sandwich. IMO...