Baby back ribs.....skin off or on?

mcoupe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So i know the theory behind keeping the skin on versus off. I like to take it off my St. louis style, figure theres enough fat in the ribs to keep them moist. Now for baby backs whats the prefered method? Also i was thinking about 3 hours for baby's as oppossed to 5 for St. Louis style. What say you?

Yep, I always remove the skin. Baby backs are favorite.

The ones you buy at Costco already have the membrane removed, god love 'em..

Remove it and get some rub on both sides, 2.5 - 3 hrs @ 225*, just do the bend test so you don't over cook them.

Membrane, or skin? I'm not sure I've ever seen either BB's or Spares sold skin on...

If membrane, yes, always remove it. IF you can't (I've had it where it was in little
pieces) remove it, then score it to the point that the smallest piece is no bigger than
a quarter of an inch, square. I actually placed 3rd in a competition with BB's where
the membrane wouldnt remove so we scored it...

That is interesting Hance. I tend to just fuss until I get the membrane off. I have heard that if you are cooking over direct heat, you can leave it on until done cooking, when it peels right off.

same here, i always remove the membrane, but i might try the scoring methid once to see how that works.

I normally peel, but if I come across a tough membrane, I'll make slits through it to let the smoke penetrate.

I always remove the membrane. It's not that hard, once you get the hang of it.

CD

Back