The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Curious: Front Yard/Driveway Cooking (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279122)

Jason TQ 02-27-2020 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4276829)
At this point I think this sums up whats happening :deadhorse:

Playing happily with a horse in the front yard while everyone gets along?? :becky:

WeberWho 02-27-2020 09:56 PM

I had a new neighbor move in last summer. Right around the time I was stripping down the Shirley for prep and paint in the front driveway. It maybe didn't look the best but it wasn't hurting anyone. I'd pull the Shirley out and work on it during the weekends. I had one neighbor who I hardly know honk and give me a thumbs up when she drove by while I was working on it. I eventually ran into my other new neighbor. He goes, "Are you the one who has had that big smoker in the driveway?" Yeah I'm the one. "That thing is awesome. If I ever see you out with it would you mind if I stop by and take a look at it? I have an electric smoker." Right than and there I knew we had some great new neighbors. Sure enough he stopped over when I was still working on the Shirley. I explained how the smoker worked since it was reverse flow. (I live in MN. Seeing any type of smoker is a needle in a haystack) He also stopped one other time to show his son the smoker.

I'm very fortunate to have good neighbors around me. I have a jogging path that runs through the backyard. I'd rather sit and chat with my neighbors than some random strangers jogging/biking through the back while throwing on sticks or starting the BGE's. I'll even drop off Q for the neighbors when I find myself with extra.

My one neighbor has a firepit he drags out on his driveway and lights during the weekend. He invites neighbors to come over and hang out and have a couple beers. It's nice walking outside and hear people laughing and interacting with one another. It's the neighborhoods where everyone hides inside and doesn't interact with one another that scare me.

mchar69 02-27-2020 10:19 PM

Lot to digest in this thread. OP finds himself like the Houston Astros after the scandal and we all must learn - "If you find yourself in a hole - Stop Digging."
I love adages - they are ALWAYS true.

gtr 02-28-2020 12:39 AM

Reminds me of our beloved and departed N8man - sure do miss that farker...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/p...pictureid=3288

ebijack 02-28-2020 04:31 AM

In my neighborhood. If I left any of my smokers out front/in driveway. They would disappear in a heart beat. Even faster if there was cooked meat in it.
My neighborhood friends get fed good thought!
Ahh, the wonders of living so close to 8 mile Detroit. :roll:

My old house I used to cook in the driveway. The neighbors were always coming around when they smelled sweet blue.

electron_si 02-28-2020 06:55 AM

I run my Yoder In the driveway during the winter time simply because I keep it in the garage. But hanging out in the driveway in lawn chairs and drinking is something we do often with our neighbors.

Once spring comes I move the Yoder to the backyard where we have all the outdoor furniture and tv setup for the warm months.

hedonsmbot 02-28-2020 07:52 AM

I too like to silently judge my neighbors.
Keyword: Silently.

smoke ninja 02-28-2020 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4276571)
I said I was done, but I have to correct something. You should take a logic course. Your analysis of my statement is either an innocent distortion or outright deception.

Given all that I said on this topic, it should be very obvious, using only basic reading comprehension, that I donít like the idea of grilling, barbecuing and lounging in front of my house. Proof is that I admitted learning about this practice years ago via internet media and if I liked or even understood the reasoning behind the idea, I would have done it myself. I also told you that even if I did it, my neighbors would complain. Being a neighbor to someone else in my neighborhood, it then follows that I would not like to see people grilling and lounging in a hammock in their front yard. I think it takes away from the aesthetics of the neighborhood and makes it more like a perpetual street festival. So it should come as no surprise that I wouldnít want to see this in my neighborhood. Your comment says more about you and your own self-image to imply that my not liking this activity amounts to looking down on others.

Having said that, I simply did not and still do not understand, in most cases, why anyone would preferentially choose to grill, barbecue and lounge around in public. I have never seen it in person and would still hope nobody in my neighborhood takes it up.

Happy grilling and barbecuing.

Just call a spade a spade. You find hanging out in your front yard trashy. Your like a Male karen

TxQGuy 02-28-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke ninja (Post 4276956)
Just call a spade a spade. You find hanging out in your front yard trashy. Your like a Male karen

What is the male equivalent of the "I need to see a manager" haircut?

LordRiffenstein 02-28-2020 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxQGuy (Post 4276957)
What is the male equivalent of the "I need to see a manager" haircut?

https://image.businessinsider.com/5b...jpeg&auto=webp

TxQGuy 02-28-2020 09:47 AM

^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Baychilla 02-28-2020 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoke ninja (Post 4276956)
Just call a spade a spade. You find hanging out in your front yard trashy. Your like a Male karen

A Frank or is it a Kyle? While Karen is easy to find the name of her male counterpart is far more elusive.

midwest_kc 02-28-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4277005)
A Frank or is it a Kyle? While Karen is easy to find the name of her male counterpart is far more elusive.

Jonah

Smoker34 02-28-2020 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH12 (Post 4276684)
So you're the kind of neighbor that turns in their fellow neighbor to the HOA because you don't like whatever they're doing, even if there are no rules against it. Do you also report them for not mowing their lawn on the correct day of the week? How about the color of their cars that offends you.
Please stay where you are so a normal neighborhood isn't plagued by your dislikes.

Nope, never turned in anyone. But if, for example, someone were to park an orange 18-wheel truck in their driveway, Iím sure town ordinance would forbid that as itís a blight on the neighborhood. I guess it depends on what kind of neighborhood you live in.

Smoker34 02-28-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grain Belt (Post 4276822)
I bust my hump all week in a job that has plenty of public criticism and now some sumbitch has the balls to tell me I recreate in an offensive way? Come on up to northern Minnesota sometime when I get the applewood smoke rolling out of my beloved green Weber kettle in the driveway and kiss my substantial white ass if you donít like what Iím doing in the front yard I have owned for 20 years.

Well that seems angry. Hey, do whatever you want, but people in any neighborhood where Iíve ever lived wouldnít like it.

LloydQ 02-28-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein (Post 4276994)

He needs to go up higher and have a heehive!

Smoker34 02-28-2020 12:10 PM

Well it seems some here have gotten offended and angry by my question, which is a legitimate question for me because I've NEVER seen anyone grilling and hanging out in a hammock in front of his/her house. Anger and offense over this speaks volumes about those who are angry and offended and calls into question their own self-analysis. The anger and offense only applies to a few of the posters here; most were cordial and answered the question with good facts and opinions. Nonetheless, although I don't understand the whole issue, I apologize to anyone who felt offended.

midwest_kc 02-28-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4277050)
Well it seems some here have gotten offended and angry by my question, which is a legitimate question for me because I've NEVER seen anyone grilling and hanging out in a hammock in front of his/her house. Anger and offense over this speaks volumes about those who are angry and offended and calls into question their own self-analysis. The anger and offense only applies to a few of the posters here; most were cordial and answered the question with good facts and opinions. Nonetheless, although I don't understand the whole issue, I apologize to anyone who felt offended.

People weren't offended until you started telling them that they had cars on blocks in their yard, and were a blight on their neighborhood. City laws and ordinances are one thing, but that isn't what you initially inquired about.

I'm sure you didn't think this would take off like this. Heck, I thought it was a silly questions when it started, and it's still silly. However, your deflection of your involvement in keeping this thread going and contributing to people's anger speaks volumes about you and calls into question your own self-analysis.

I'm not angry, I don't see any reason to be angry about a guy that clearly has lived in the kind of neighborhoods I probably wouldn't be allowed or appreciated in - or happy in, for that matter. You do you, but when you insinuate that the decidedly middle class neighborhood I live in, and the lives we live are trash, well, I see why people would take it that way.

Nuco59 02-28-2020 12:33 PM

Brother-
I'm sure that most of the razz's were just what passes for good-natured fun down here. You get poked, you poke back - not real drama. There might have been one or two who were actually riled some- but stuff like that wears off pretty quick.

You might plan a trip south a ways- see how it's done instead of hearing about it and seeing pictures.

have a good weekend.

Grain Belt 02-28-2020 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4277043)
Well that seems angry. Hey, do whatever you want, but people in any neighborhood where Iíve ever lived wouldnít like it.

My lot is .8 of an acre. The back neighbor is 20 steps away. The front neighbor is a football field away. Can you visualize a world beyond a Jersey Levittown?

Smoker34 02-28-2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midwest_kc (Post 4277058)
People weren't offended until you started telling them that they had cars on blocks in their yard, and were a blight on their neighborhood. City laws and ordinances are one thing, but that isn't what you initially inquired about.

I'm sure you didn't think this would take off like this. Heck, I thought it was a silly questions when it started, and it's still silly. However, your deflection of your involvement in keeping this thread going and contributing to people's anger speaks volumes about you and calls into question your own self-analysis.

I'm not angry, I don't see any reason to be angry about a guy that clearly has lived in the kind of neighborhoods I probably wouldn't be allowed or appreciated in - or happy in, for that matter. You do you, but when you insinuate that the decidedly middle class neighborhood I live in, and the lives we live are trash, well, I see why people would take it that way.

I know and love people from all socioeconomic levels, and Iíve never seen any of them doing this. So Iíll just have to assume itís a regional cultural thing. Have a nice weekend.

frankenfab 02-28-2020 01:14 PM

https://youtu.be/QNCM8IjtQ-o

Pedro7 02-28-2020 01:49 PM

I'll save Jersey here. I smoke in the front of my house regularly because my big orange/blue Humphreys is 325lbs and cant get it to the back with my other smokers. I live in a "free range" neighborhood where we all hang out a lot. Our kids play in the street. We walk around with drinks in the street. We have fire pits regularly. My version of NJ is a cool place.

Jason TQ 02-28-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4277050)
Well it seems some here have gotten offended and angry by my question, which is a legitimate question for me because I've NEVER seen anyone grilling and hanging out in a hammock in front of his/her house. Anger and offense over this speaks volumes about those who are angry and offended and calls into question their own self-analysis. The anger and offense only applies to a few of the posters here; most were cordial and answered the question with good facts and opinions. Nonetheless, although I don't understand the whole issue, I apologize to anyone who felt offended.

The fact that you don't get that people aren't offended/angered, but poking obvious fun at a hilariously crazy post that had "hidden implications", speaks volumes about you, lol.

There's no issue here dude. So just like you don't get how people could possibly cook in their front yard (akin to never having seen Loch Ness or Big Foot).......I also am gathering you don't get sarcasm/most humor in general :caked:. You are literally the only one here who this concept is 100% foreign to which again speaks to your actual original intent..........but sure.......keep projecting with your "EVERYONE IS WRONG AND CLEARLY OFFENDED AND I AM THE CALM AND COLLECTED ONE, BUT THE ACTUAL ONLY ONE STIRRING THE POT AND IF I SAY PEOPLE ARE GETTING OFFENDED AND UPSET I WIN".......man that is the oldest trick in the "internet arguement" book. It's like the older sibling being an ass saying "stop being so mad", when in fact no one is mad......you are just trying to make people made........again because that was your intent.

You clearly don't get it or else you wouldn't keep "coming back to the well" when you swear you are going away :blah:. You're the one taking this too seriously :doh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4277068)
I know and love people from all socioeconomic levels, and I’ve never seen any of them doing this. So I’ll just have to assume it’s a regional cultural thing. Have a nice weekend.

The fact that you had to come back and clarify with this statement is also hilarious :becky:

Norm 02-28-2020 03:40 PM

The only thing I do in my front yard is have a stand set up for selling waygu brisket... I assume this is acceptable?

food4thot 02-28-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4277068)
I know and love people from all socioeconomic levels, and Iíve never seen any of them doing this. So Iíll just have to assume itís a regional cultural thing. Have a nice weekend.

No, you obviously don't if you've never seen anyone doing it.

Do you live in a gated neighborhood? Ever been to a football tailgate? Ever seen a grown man naked?

Baychilla 02-28-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by food4thot (Post 4277138)
No, you obviously don't if you've never seen anyone doing it.

Do you live in a gated neighborhood? Ever been to a football tailgate? Ever seen a grown man naked?

...something something gladiators and Turkish prisons?

InThePitBBQ 02-28-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4277068)
I know and love people from all socioeconomic levels, and Iíve never seen any of them doing this. So Iíll just have to assume itís a regional cultural thing. Have a nice weekend.

Now the whole socioeconomic thing get's dragged into this and I'm left wondering if my choice of polished chrome wheels with matching mounted spare is good enough for the driveway BBQ scene?

Anyone more cultured care to weigh in on this?

Jason TQ 02-28-2020 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by food4thot (Post 4277138)
no, you obviously don't if you've never seen anyone doing it.



Do you live in a gated neighborhood? Ever been to a football tailgate? Ever seen a grown man naked?

Attachment 178551

Nuco59 02-28-2020 05:06 PM

This has been a hoot- really. A lesson on how much we are the same but still different in some ways. (I would not have tossed that bit in about "I know and love people from all socioeconomic levels" - yeaaah. - noooo"

I won't post anything else on this. I have 2 fingers of good whisky over 1 ice cube and a grill getting hot... in my back yard. I'd do it in the front but my neighbors are enjoying a VERY spirited game of Corn Hole- I'm ready for some peace and quiet after a long week.

Be well and smoke on.

Jason TQ 02-28-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baychilla (Post 4277140)
...something something gladiators and Turkish prisons?


https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d75f41d748.gif

Smoker34 02-28-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuco59 (Post 4277167)
This has been a hoot- really. A lesson on how much we are the same but still different in some ways. (I would not have tossed that bit in about "I know and love people from all socioeconomic levels" - yeaaah. - noooo"

I won't post anything else on this. I have 2 fingers of good whisky over 1 ice cube and a grill getting hot... in my back yard. I'd do it in the front but my neighbors are enjoying a VERY spirited game of Corn Hole- I'm ready for some peace and quiet after a long week.

Be well and smoke on.

Someone took this whole thing way too far and suggested that I was implying he/she is trash. Thus, that statement is not only true, but was apparently necessary based on that suggestion.

Pappy Q 02-28-2020 05:51 PM

I like to cook naked and it attracts more attention in the front yard

WilliamKY 02-28-2020 05:55 PM

Run along now El Luchador. Happy cooking and be safe until next tme.

food4thot 02-28-2020 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4277180)
Someone took this whole thing way too far and suggested that I was implying he/she is trash. Thus, that statement is not only true, but was apparently necessary based on that suggestion.

My best advice to you is forget about this thread. Don't read it or post here again. It will eventually go away.

Av8er 02-28-2020 05:57 PM

This is too funny! I am glad I don’t live near this guy as I am 100% positive we wouldn’t get along. That being said, I am gonna pull my Weber out to the front just for spite. Hell, I may even go lay in the hammock in my front yard while groping my fat cow of a Sister wife while yelling ROLL TIDE with a beer in my hand.

DanB 02-28-2020 06:03 PM

Hi All My Shirley 24 x 36 comes in at 400lbs, so there for it stays in the backyard.:roll: I may take my WSM out front under the awing if rains is in the forecast.
DanB

BarneyIX 02-28-2020 06:30 PM

Man, I don't really post much on this forum but I felt that I had to chime in. I used to be a Front Yard Smoker... I lived in a small ranch house on a smallish corner lot on a culdesac.

My Lang Smoker on a trailer wouldn't fit through the fence to the back yard and I stored it in my garage. Being on concrete it was easy enough to move back and forth so I enjoyed it immensely.

I was always concerned that my neighbors would get upset but no one complained, however, I had to stop smoking meats during our neighborhood yard sale because people kept approaching me to buy food...

mytmouz 02-28-2020 06:47 PM

I used to smoke I'm my front yard, as I liked to make my neighbors jealous. When I could still walk, I'd take a whizz off the front porch. Also to make the neighbors jealous...

Nobody complained, as they didn't want the beating that came with it. Where my property line starts, their business ends...

Jason TQ 02-28-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4277180)
Someone took this whole thing way too far and suggested that I was implying he/she is trash. Thus, that statement is not only true, but was apparently necessary based on that suggestion.

Keep digging the hole, lol

https://i.imgur.com/bJK8Y2kl.jpg

McGruber 02-28-2020 07:04 PM

I don’t have a garage or a backyard. Without a dedicated space out of the eyes of the neighbors, guess it’s time to quit enjoying being outdoors and good food.

Like others said, I met neighbors when I moved in due to being visible cooking up some food.

pjtexas1 02-28-2020 07:10 PM

I think the OP has learned whatever lesson we're trying to teach him. Let's let it go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mchar69 02-28-2020 07:42 PM

Quote:

I think the OP has learned whatever lesson we're trying to teach him. Let's let it go.
I disagree, he hasn't learned one thing. He doubled down with that socio-economic crap and that is a low blow.
And it's fun to keep fooling around in a silly thread!!

I should mention I would NEVER grill in front of my house anyway.
No room because of all the cars on blocks. ANd the old refrigerators, washing machines, and toilets.

frognot 02-28-2020 09:04 PM

My garage in front was converted into Mother-in-law quarters so have a covered patio and carport in back and my BGE and Weber there (also a firepit and woodpile).

Also have a beer fridge on the patio and a non running 98 Toyota truck (not on blocks) parked in back but I've got an eight foot privacy fence.

cowgirl 02-28-2020 09:54 PM

I'm not sure how to word this. I don't mean to offend anyone.
The way I see it, the OP has never lived in an area where front yards are used for anything, period. There is nothing wrong with that if that's what you want.... I'll never judge anyone...... but he/she and people who live this way, are missing out on some mighty fine experiences, and possibly some mighty fine friendships.

I'd suggest signing up for a weekend of helping out with the BBQ Relief program, or attending one of the Brethren Bashes, to get to know what these "front yard, live and let live", folks are all about.
There's more to life than living in a pristine neighborhood, having a shiny new vehicle or the biggest smoker.
Life can pass a person by, while they're sittin' behind a manicured lawn or privacy fence.
Life's too short. Make some memories! :grin:

tom b 02-28-2020 10:16 PM

Well said Jeanie!

Tat-que 02-28-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 4277313)
I'm not sure how to word this. I don't mean to offend anyone.
The way I see it, the OP has never lived in an area where front yards are used for anything, period. There is nothing wrong with that if that's what you want.... I'll never judge anyone...... but he/she and people who live this way, are missing out on some mighty fine experiences, and possibly some mighty fine friendships.

I'd suggest signing up for a weekend of helping out with the BBQ Relief program, or attending one of the Brethren Bashes, to get to know what these "front yard, live and let live", folks are all about.
There's more to life than living in a pristine neighborhood, having a shiny new vehicle or the biggest smoker.
Life can pass a person by, while they're sittin' behind a manicured lawn or privacy fence.
Life's too short. Make some memories! :grin:


100% agree! you are a very wise person, and gifted in the cooking aspect too :)

Viticulture 02-29-2020 08:41 AM

Just last night I wheeled my Performer across the st to my neighbors driveway where we cooked up 3 dozen or so wings using various rubs. With BBQ in driveway & beer / wine in hand we struck up a convo w/ a couple walking their dogs & invited them to try the wings and a glass of wine. Soon another neighbor wandered on over and before we knew it we were 3 bottles deep and had the greatest time. If it weren't for Q'ing in the driveway we never would've met these fine folks.

For what it's worth I certainly enjoy the solitude of tending the grill or smoker in the backyard but sometimes it's good to enjoy the company of others as well. Besides, that's how I get feedback on different rubs / sauces.

JohnH12 02-29-2020 08:52 AM

Congratulations forum members. 148 posts and not one mention of political leanings!
Wow!
Hope I don't get censured or banned for that.

pjtexas1 02-29-2020 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH12 (Post 4277443)
Congratulations forum members. 148 posts and not one mention of political leanings!
Wow!
Hope I don't get censured or banned for that.

Some will see this as a challenge...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.