The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need to seal up new smoker (Bandera knock-off) (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102659)

Conrad906 03-17-2011 09:09 PM

Need to seal up new smoker (Bandera knock-off)

Hey y'all, new member here. I needed to expand my bbq knowledge and this seems like a pretty hospitable environment to do it in. I hope you can help me.

I've recently purchased an Old Country vertical offset smoker. It is almost identical to the Bandera that ya'll seem to be so fond of on this board. I have already followed the advice of some members and lined the firebox and smokebox with Fire-rated brick. There is also a cage to keep the coals off the sides of the firebox, as well as a raised grate to aid the airflow.

Using Lump charcoal twice this week, and Kingsford blue today, I cannot get it much above 200* without putting a mini-log of wood in there (about 8"x6")

I have about an 1/8" gap all the way around the smoker box and about a 1/4" gap where the firebox lid seats. Smoke and heat pour out of all door jambs, even with the two chimneys fully open and the air intake fully open.

Aside from a faulty thermometer (aftermarket purchased at Acadamy), I can only assume that the lack of heat transfer has to do with all the heat that is leaking out... I mean, the fire box HAS to be 600 or more degrees after I put 1.5 chimneys of fully lit charcoal in it. For reference, I'm measuring temperature about 2/3 up from bottom of the smoke box.

Unless you guys have a better suggestion, I was thinking of purchasing fiberglass stove gasket and using stove and gasket cement to secure it. Is this a good idea? I was looking at purchasing from this website

Callahan-que 03-17-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrad906 (Post 1581528)

I have about an 1/8" gap all the way around the smoker box and about a 1/4" gap where the firebox lid seats. Smoke and heat pour out of all door jambs, even with the two chimneys fully open and the air intake fully open.

Unless you guys have a better suggestion, I was thinking of purchasing fiberglass stove gasket and using stove and gasket cement to secure it. Is this a good idea? I was looking at purchasing from this website

Wow that surprises me, the one I looked at at Academy seemed pretty well fitted together.
I would see if I could exchange it for another one. And if I could I would look it over real good. If not you may be able to get the gasket material from Lowes.

Conrad906 03-17-2011 10:53 PM

J'ville, I bet if you go back and look at it again, You'll see the smokebox gap on the door by the hinges. Grab a flashlight and put it in there with the door closed. Maybe not... just my guess. The gap on the firebox is hidden due to the way the let the front of the lid overhang.

Have you seen fire rated gaskets at Lowes? I checked the Despot and they said no way. Lowes is a 30 minute drive...

Callahan-que 03-17-2011 11:05 PM

No I haven't seen the gasket at Lowes, just thought I had read a post about them having it. Give them a calll and ask them. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Another Brethren recently bought that same smoker and he seemed real pleased with it. I don't remember Who it was but he was from Jacksonville, fl. He posted alot of pics of it.

kendall 03-18-2011 04:35 PM

I have an offset smoker, I put a couple of layers of foil all the way around the door, pust the door down into the foil, and put a brick on the handle and one on each end of the door. Probably not as good as a gasket fix but cheap and easy.

Conrad906 03-19-2011 08:47 PM

*Bump* I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with this gasket material?

capnrob97 03-19-2011 08:57 PM

I have this same smoker and don't have this problem. Sounds like yours is not fabricated quite right.

Conrad906 03-20-2011 03:28 AM

agreed. thanks for the insight. I'm looking for remedies... not dissension.