The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Smoked ham (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8066)

Solidkick 04-27-2004 07:22 PM

I don't think you allowed enough for waste, bone, fat, etc....And if they eat like my family, serving sizes would be more like 8oz.

My opinion, i'd go with 30 lbs and be safe, you can always have ham sammiches, ham and cheese omelets, you get my drift.

Hmmmmm Ham!!!!!!

racer_81 04-27-2004 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidkick
I don't think you allowed enough for waste, bone, fat, etc....And if they eat like my family, serving sizes would be more like 8oz.

My opinion, i'd go with 30 lbs and be safe, you can always have ham sammiches, ham and cheese omelets, you get my drift.

Hmmmmm Ham!!!!!!

Yeah. You can take the leftovers, grind 'em up real good, mix in a touch of this and that, and have a reallygood SPiced hAM meat product kind of thing.

:-)

ckkphoto 04-27-2004 09:48 PM

Re: Smoked ham

Quote:

Where you getting apple down here ?
I have a friend that chopped a tree down and brought it over.

BigAl 04-27-2004 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigdogSmoker
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigdogSmoker
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
Quote:

I am smoking ham for 50 this weekend. How much ham do I need?
50 servings should do ya.

Thanks Greg, you're a big help. :roll:

greg is wrong.

you will need 55. Cooks gotta sample throughout the process dont he? Then that sammich at midnight.

What a bunch of smart ass farkers. :P

BigDog, you got that right, and none are correct. Here is the secret to your success with 50 teachers.

One 5 lb ham.
100 cans of Spam (Sliced in 3/16 inch strips and grilled).

When it is over, you will have no left over SPAM and since you don't like SPAM, you will have a 5 lb ham left over for you lunches. :lol:

racer_81 04-27-2004 10:05 PM

Wow. That's a lot of Spam, Al. I can't imagine anybody having anywhere near that many cans of Spam at one time.

:shock:

BigAl 04-27-2004 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_81
Wow. That's a lot of Spam, Al. I can't imagine anybody having anywhere near that many cans of Spam at one time.

When it is good, it's good and gone.

Bigdog 04-27-2004 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_81

LMAO

brdbbq 04-28-2004 07:08 AM

Re: Smoked ham

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckkphoto
Quote:

Where you getting apple down here ?
I have a friend that chopped a tree down and brought it over.

Leaves me out I have no friends.

BigAl 04-28-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Now that signature is real funny and should be moved to the "Jokes" section :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bigdog 04-28-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidkick

Hmmmmm Ham!!!!!!

I'm going with 4 ten pounders, butt end. Found them at $1.08 lb. That way I will have plenty for myself. :D

racer_81 04-28-2004 11:19 PM

Sounds like a tasty plan there Bigdog.

Good Q'ing.

Bigdog 05-06-2004 09:06 PM

Just thought that I would update you on my ham smoking project. Everything came out great. I used hickory and pecan so the smoke flavor would not be overpowering; it wasn't, it was perfect.

I smoked 40 lbs. and we used almost 30 to feed about 50 people. Not much food went into the trash. Got a lot of compliments and a few requests to smoke one for them.

I smoked them for about 3 hours and to a temp of 120. I usually go to 140, but the wife wanted to finish them off 3 days later in the school ovens with a brown sugar and pinaple glaze. This way they came out juicy and very flavorable. My son said it was the best yet, and he is a very fussy eater.

BigAl 05-06-2004 11:31 PM

For future reference, were the hams bonless? pre cooked? or what?

Bigdog 05-07-2004 07:40 AM

They were the pre-cooked bone in hams, the kind you just heat in the oven and serve. I use the butt end, rather than the shank.