The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cast iron strorage observations. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176587)

scaramoche 12-02-2013 05:23 PM

Cast iron strorage observations.

Last year about this time two, more or less related, question were posted. One was how to store CI for winter and another about how to get rid of the gunk coating after storage. I tried to find the posts but mobile isn't conducive to finding them. Anyway I am a firm believer in Sheryl Cantor's method of seasoning CI using flaxseed oil. We use the method at work and I do at home. So, this is what happened. After last years posts I had and extra 8" skillet that I seasoned with about 8 coats of flaxseed oil using her method. Not really finding a use for it decided to hang it up) in the storage shed just to see what would happen. It was fresh out of oven after cooling, dry, and without a fresh coat of oil. Since it wasn't stored with other camp equipment I forgot about it until this years turn at storage. After digging through shed to find it. I am amazed to report it is in the same condition as the day I hung it there. Slight surface rust on bottom that whipped cleanly away with a swipe of a finger. As for posting a picture? Well, there is nothing to see. Its a dry, no gunk, ready to use pan. Debated on whether to give it a try but decided to hang it for another winter and see what happens.

dport7 12-02-2013 06:32 PM

thanks for the info, 99% of mine is 30 plus years seasoned. I could put it in the basement for years and it wouldn't rust. The other 1%, If it's rusted, I throw it in the fire till it's smokin hot, pull it out, wipe it with crisco or lard, and cook.

I will have to try flaxseed oil.

FatCoyote 12-02-2013 07:32 PM

Flaxseed oil seems interesting, what makes it so good? I just do as what was mentioned above, toss it in a fire coat it liberally with some oil and pop it back into the fire or onto the top of my pit for a good long ride.....

1911Ron 12-04-2013 02:50 PM

I am using the flaxseed method, so far i like it, here is her write up on it.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/

popeye 12-04-2013 06:39 PM

say what you want . I have more then 90 skellet in my basement . I can cook with any of them any time . Some go back 100 years . And all i use is unsalted lard

dwfisk 12-04-2013 06:53 PM

I'm confused: "how to store CI for winter". What is this storing for winter? I like to eat (so I use my CI) all year long :becky: and just keep it seasoned after each use. I do like the flaxseed oil for restoring abused CI, but once it is in frequent use, I find pretty much any cooking oil/lard will work to keep it seasoned and ready to use.

c farmer 12-04-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 2718537)
say what you want . I have more then 90 skellet in my basement . I can cook with any of them any time . Some go back 100 years . And all i use is unsalted lard

Where do you find lard nowadays?

Pyle's BBQ 12-04-2013 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwfisk (Post 2718555)
I'm confused: "how to store CI for winter". What is this storing for winter? I like to eat (so I use my CI) all year long :becky: and just keep it seasoned after each use. I do like the flaxseed oil for restoring abused CI, but once it is in frequent use, I find pretty much any cooking oil/lard will work to keep it seasoned and ready to use.

This.

dport7 12-04-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwfisk (Post 2718555)

I'm with you. pretty much at any given moment, there is a piece of cast getting heated up for the cook.

popeye 12-04-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c farmer (Post 2718564)

I live close to amish country . They still do it the hard way .

caliking 12-04-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c farmer (Post 2718564)

Where don't you find lard? :grin: Down here, its in most grocery stores. Mi Tienda (a HEB specialty grocery store) has tubs of freshly rendered lard all the time.

Bongoa 12-04-2013 11:09 PM

does bacon fat count?

buccaneer 12-05-2013 03:57 AM

Flaxseed oil warning: buy food grade, don't be tempted to buy the cheap stuff lest you poison you and the family.
Toxic cr@p abounds in non food grade flax seed oil.

jamus34 12-05-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buccaneer (Post 2718948)
Flaxseed oil warning: buy food grade, don't be tempted to buy the cheap stuff lest you poison you and the family.
Toxic cr@p abounds in non food grade flax seed oil.

Agreed...pay the extra, go to a specialty food store or a natural food store and pick up a bottle of the organic flaxseed oil.

It'll probably run ya $12-$14 and has a pretty short shelf life but whatever you do don't think you can buy linseed oil and use it for the same purpose...same seed / oil, two completely different production methods.

SmokeWatcher 12-05-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bongoa (Post 2718910)
does bacon fat count?

Works great for me!