Using a Charcoal Basket in a Stickburner for low temp smoking?

NorthernMN

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried smoking at low temps like 150-180 by using a charcoal basket? Just wondering where to set the exhaust damper to get started and if anyone has experience doing this as far as do's and don'ts.

I do it at comps. I don't need a basket for the pit I used this year. I made a couple spacers and burn a big z during the night. I light it @ 10pm. When I get up @ 3:30 it's running 180-210 then switch to wood. I'm in the process of making a 2 piece basket for my Jambo. Hopefully it will work about the same.

Sorry. To answer your ?. Depending how tight your pit is. I just barely crack the intake.

I found that using a small basket helps, cause I can move it closer or farther away
from the air damper. My Okie works good like that.

Where do you set the exhaust damper? open or partially closed?

I keep mine wide open, unless I'm pounding something hard with smoke to start out with.
I'll close it up to over load the pit, but for the most part I like it open.

charcoal basket

made large charcoal basket for my LANG 60 out of old grates from my colection of dead chargriller horz. it helps keep splits from falling off grate when useing charcoal adj. amount

I'm seriously considering getting a 48" sized stickburner and was wondering if anyone does this for overnight cooks when you have to also.

Chad Cook from smoking c's bbq made a cool gravity flow mod for his 48" peoria cooker. It sits inside his firebox and is made out of 1/4" steel. Look on Facebook at The Smokin C's BBQ, he did a really nice job.

I smoke summer sausage in my cookers all the time at low temps and it turns out great . I just choke the intake and exhaust down

This is in Jed's (Charred Apron) cooker I am building him. Had a ham in the warmer smoking it at the same time via a damper from the main chamber

You can do anything you want to in a smoker if you learn it!!!!!!

Depends how well your intakes seal off the airflow and the presence of any existing air leaks.

With my Lang 84... can run over 6 hours (per fuel load) at 175-180 with the following conditions;
1) with a charcoal basket
2) with all the intakes closed
3) the grease drain and exhaust wide open.

There is a huge difference in ash between stick and or lump compared to briquettes.
I run my dampers open about 1/4 inch once the fire is set, works great for long slow burns, just dont use too much wood or you will over smoke the meat.

Has anyone tried smoking at low temps like 150-180 by using a charcoal basket? Just wondering where to set the exhaust damper to get started and if anyone has experience doing this as far as do's and don'ts.
Be careful, stick burners like to breathe and choking down on the in-take to get a long burn, (which is the general idea when using charcoal baskets) will give you dirty smoke. Offsets are designed in such a way that the airflow must move horizontally before it can rise and exit through the stack and if the airflow is restricted, smoke will hang out in the cooking chamber and you will end up with bitter creosote on your food. I personally would just build a small clean burning wood fire and keep the dampers open so that the wood can combust normally but if you must use a charcoal basket use VERY little wood to avoid as much smoldering wood as possible.:wink:

For me personally I have been cooking for over 40 years and have yet to experience old smoke or stale smoke. I run my offsets with the stack pinched back and the intake too as I need to depending on the conditions and cook. Maybe it has to do with the wood and condition of the wood, I start it with a chimney or 2 then it is wood all the way for me. But I also oversize all my fireboxes a few % too, so I am never starving for fuel or intake and exhaust. I guess everyone has there on way of doing things and if it works I say leave it be. I know BBQ Willy will throw several sticks in his offset he bought from me choke it down and sleep for 3 hrs and still be at 225 degrees.

Back