The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Lump Coal Question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151776)

Garrett 01-18-2013 09:40 PM

This time of year the walmarts in my area are short on RO Lump too. I regulary check all 4 that's with in 20 mins from the house. Seems like after Valintines they start keeping a full stock of it.

djoseph74 01-18-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett (Post 2333347)
This time of year the walmarts in my area are short on RO Lump too. I regulary check all 4 that's with in 20 mins from the house. Seems like after Valintines they start keeping a full stock of it.

Yikes... and you're in NC... I may have acquired the last 2 bags in the area. I'll have to keep what you do in mind, and stock up when I can.

djoseph74 01-18-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjsmitty (Post 2333175)
hey djoseph. where did you find r.o. lump? im in oxford area. cant find it here. thanks.

Looks like K-mart and Restaurant Depot might have it also.

aawa 01-19-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djoseph74 (Post 2333425)
Looks like K-mart and Restaurant Depot might have it also.

I know the Restaurant Depot here in Va Beach keeps Royal Oak in stock all the time at $10 and change per 20lb bag.

djoseph74 01-19-2013 09:28 AM

Sounds like I should join the KCBS so I can shop there. All walmart has is the 8lbs bags. Didn't seem like much in there.

Foxfire 01-19-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djoseph74 (Post 2333662)
Sounds like I should join the KCBS so I can shop there. All walmart has is the 8lbs bags. Didn't seem like much in there.

I've seen a lot of really sad looking outdoor / gardening departments at various stores in the last couple of weeks. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Walmart... but strangely enough, there's a Super Walmart near my work that may not have much in the way of gardening but they do have a seasonal display out with loads of wood chips and chunks, Kingsford BB, Royal Oak (lump and briquettes), and more Kingsford Competition briquettes than I've seen in any single store at once.

Both HD and Lowes tell me they'll be getting big shipments of grilling and outdoor cooking stuff "any day now" (along with hoses and lawn care stuff... lol)

fingerlickin' 01-19-2013 10:36 AM

This thread is reminding me I'm almost out of Wicked Good. I'm gonna have to go over to Wally World today and see if they still have some RO stashed in the back. Kind of disappointed I have to do that. My last bag was pretty weak, I've been spoiled by the WG and Humphries I've been using lately. I'm stuck at work and can't get the good stuff today. Poor planning on my part.

djoseph74 01-19-2013 12:11 PM

I'll have to check out Wicked Good sometime as well, but I'm pleased to report that I'm happy with the armoa of the Royal Oak so far. My backyard smells great :)

aawa 01-19-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djoseph74 (Post 2333662)

Access to Restaurant Depot is worth the KCBS membership imo. I am lucky and have a friend that has a card because her family owns a restaurant. Besides being able to pick up the 20lb bags of Royal Oak Lump on the cheap you can also get different meats for smoking. I have went there and picked up pork butts, slab of NY Strip which i'm dry aging, ribs. Also picked up a large jug of mustard for slather, and copious amounts of cider vinegar.

djoseph74 01-19-2013 01:07 PM

Now I'm really sold. LOL off to their website...

MaximumJEFF 01-19-2013 04:32 PM

I've been using Kingsford since I started cooking. My buddy talked Royal Oak enough for me to buy a couple bags.

I don't like it at all. It flares up immediately after I take the lid off my UDS. It didn't hold a consistent temp. And, it ran out after 12 hours at 250. I've held 250 for 18 hours with Kingsford.

I'm going back to Kingsford

DubfromGA 01-19-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirknwrk (Post 2333316)
Treat yourself to some Wicked Good "Weekend Warrior"... You can order a 22 lb. bag frome ACE online and they will deliver it to your local store. Burns hotter and longer... RO is good but WW is my new favorite.

Complete agreement!

Midnight Smoke 01-19-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirknwrk http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/im...s/viewpost.gif
Treat yourself to some Wicked Good "Weekend Warrior"... You can order a 22 lb. bag frome ACE online and they will deliver it to your local store. Burns hotter and longer... RO is good but WW is my new favorite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubfromGA (Post 2334042)
Complete agreement!

WGWW is good stuff, to bad they changed their wood source a couple years ago.