• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My Turkey Experiment

BBcue-Z

Reaction score
I decided to do something different with my Turkey this year by cutting into pieces prior to cooking.
I started with 3 turkeys
Tday1.jpg

Separated the legs, thighs and wings, but kept the breast whole. I removed the back bone portion from the breasts, but kept the breast bone.
Tday2.jpg

This also made it easy to brine in the refrigerator, since I was able to use smaller containers to soak the pieces
Tday3-1.jpg
Tday4-1.jpg

24 hours later…
Tday5-1.jpg

Tday6.jpg

I placed the pieces on racks after brining and placed them back in the refrigerator for another 24 hours so the skin can dry out.
Tday7.jpg

Onto the smoker on T-Day, I added the wings an hour later so they wouldn’t over cook
Tday8.jpg

Tday9.jpg

Tday11.jpg

The cooking was done just few min shy of 2 hours
Tday12.jpg

Dinner is served :-D
Tday13.jpg

Tday14.jpg

Results:
It was the juiciest Turkey I’ve ever had :-D
The breast meat was perfectly cooked, since I was able to take it out when it reached 160 internal temp. And the wings were not overcooked, since I added them later and the dark meat was smoky and perfectly done under two hours. The cooking temp ranged between 300 to 350 and I was using the SFB.
I would say this was a very successful experiment. Carving was a breeze and turkey was tasty and tender (every part of it), and the cooking time was short. Since I rarely bring a whole turkey to the table, I think I’m cutting my turkey into pieces from now on :-D

Looks like it turned out great! I've heard before that cutting them into pieces speeds things up a bunch. Seems they're right. Gonna try it next time out. Thanks! :grin:

When you think about it, Grandma had a roasting pan, an oven and a turkey. And a tradition was established. There's so much more flexibility on a grill.
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

It all looks great! Thanks for sharing your results and pics!

I might consider brining a turkey that way. I just don't have room to do whole turkeys. Great job on the pictures.

Wow it comes out a lot better looking too! I am doing this from now on thanks to this post. It seems to be the optimal way to getting great results from less of a hassle.

Looks great, and I commend your butchering skills! This is certainly something I'll try in the future.

How is this possible? This idea is so simple ... Brilliant!
I agree with Aspen - great butchering skills, as well.

Thanks for this. I want to smoke a turkeye, and maybe this is a more practical way to do so. :eusa_clap

Great idea. Simplicity is often the best approach. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for all the nice comments. I don’t know why it took me too long to try this. I’ve always known that different parts of the turkey cook at different times. I just had to separate them to achieve perfection :-D
Simple concept, as many put it nicely, and it really works.

Back