The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First UDS Build (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143393)

Sampler 09-06-2012 02:42 PM

First UDS Build

Hello all,

I'm a newbie and have just begun the process of process of collecting the materials to build my first UDS. If things go in the right direction by the end of this coming weekend I should have everything I need and a start on the build process.

I have been doing a lot of reading and reviewing the many threads of the subject which have driven my excitement. I look forward to someday being able to participate in sharing my own UDS and some of the delicious items to come off from it.

I'll post from pics of my build as things get started. Wish me luck!

Dana

Nemo 09-06-2012 03:29 PM

Good luck! I built my first this spring and except for one sad bone-in pork butt (terrible!), it has been fabulous to use. Steady temps and light on charcoal use.

Foxfire 09-06-2012 04:57 PM

congrats! Gonna post build pix?? :icon_cool

Sampler 09-06-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemo (Post 2203261)
Steady temps and light on charcoal use.

Is there a general rule of thumb as to how much charcoal/wood to use depending on desired temp and length of cook time?

D

Sampler 09-06-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foxfire (Post 2203322)
congrats! Gonna post build pix?? :icon_cool

Thank you.... and most definitely!!!

Johnny_Crunch 09-06-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampler (Post 2203346)
Is there a general rule of thumb as to how much charcoal/wood to use depending on desired temp and length of cook time?

D

I fill my basket to the top every time regardless of how long I am cooking. It snuffs out so well when closed that I can reuse coals with no worries.

Captain Dave 09-06-2012 07:05 PM

With the wood, less is more sometimes. 3 or 4 fist size chunks is usually enough to give all the smoke you need.

Nemo 09-06-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sampler (Post 2203346)

D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch (Post 2203370)
I fill my basket to the top every time regardless of how long I am cooking. It snuffs out so well when closed that I can reuse coals with no worries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Dave (Post 2203421)
With the wood, less is more sometimes. 3 or 4 fist size chunks is usually enough to give all the smoke you need.

In my amateur experience, everyone is right! I usually put about 10lbs in (maybe 2/3rds full fire basket) and when done, close all vents and reuse. Also, just a little wood for flavor, for me that's been about 1 fist size chunk for ribs and 2 for longer cooks like brisket or pork butts / shoulders. Lately it's been apple wood btw.

But to be honest, I have about 5 months experience and should shut up and let the others that actually are experts speak!

Bkgsmoker 09-06-2012 08:51 PM

Uds basket capacity

My charcoal baskets are exactly on cubic foot and will hold temp for at least fourteen hours. Only time I've ever used a full basket is when I seasoned it.

razrbakcrzy 09-07-2012 10:46 AM

my basket is 11" deep by 15" dia. 3" from botttom of barrel. Holds about 10lbs of RO lump with (1) 4" by about 6" tall log standing on end. Then I place 10 - 15 lit Kingsford briquetts on top to start.

Sampler 09-07-2012 11:47 PM

First FREEBIE score...

On my way home from work tonight I spotted an older charcoal grill on the sidewalk (meaning take me home... so I did). It is a 22.5inch Weber look-a-like with a little abuse but the cover with vent is in great shape with base rim still in tact and dual hinges. The grates are still in side but a bit rusty, not sure if these can be cleaned and treated or not. I guess that's where the forum comes in.

Pic to be posted at day light. :grin:

D

TurkeyLeg 09-08-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Crunch (Post 2203370)

Same thing I do. Fill it every time, then use minion method. A UDS will hold temp, and is so fuel efficient. I built an offset out of a 55 gallon drum about 3 years ago. Man I had to babysit that thing all day. But an upright setup, it's like Ron Popeil said, set it and forget it!!

TurkeyLeg 09-08-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Dave (Post 2203421)

Unless your doing chicken. In my experience 1 chunk is all chicken needs.

J-Rod 09-08-2012 11:53 AM

Don't forget to take progress photos! And I hope for your sake you have an unlined drum- mine wasn't and I spent the better half of a day laying inside it with a wire wheel on my grinder getting all that sh!t off. It sucked!

Sampler 09-08-2012 07:05 PM

Freebie...

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...-20-48_362.jpg