3-2-1 method at 250? Too much?

DirtyDirty00

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Cooking spares today with the 3-2-1 method. Cooker is at 250. Would this be too long? If so how would u modify? I wanna keep the smoker at 250

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Based on my experience I'd guess you would be more like 3, 1.5, .45 but it will depend on the thickness of your spares and if you want them falling of the bone or with a little chew left in them.

last spares i did at 250 were done in 5 hours. i was not prepared for that.

full or trimmed?

for me in a WSM @ 260* st louis spares are 2 hours out and @ 1 in. works pretty well.

I did some 3-2-1, and foiled for 2 hours with some apple juice... they were to mushy.. next time i am going to only foil for 1 hour.. 3-1-1

I have done some at 2 - 2 - 1... The bones were pulling out and they were really good, but I think I may try 2 -1 - 1 to see if I can get a little closer to the bite through....

for me doing whole rack of spares @250 3-1-1 is better.
i usually do them around 275 though- i don't like mushy ribs.

3 2 1 is too long (at least here) even at 225. I think 2 hours in foil, over cooked the rib.

They were awesome flavored but they were just a bit too fall off the bone. My next cook will be a 2.5 1.5 .5

4.5 to 5 hours is about normal for our UDS. I try to foil for at least an hour, with brown sugar, honey and butter. Depending on how they are after foil, depends how long they stay on afterwards, usually 30 minutes at least, but sometimes a bit less. Really depends on your cooker, the ribs themselves, and how they look after foiling.

Matt

I am not sure if you can compare baby-backs to spares (I have only cooked baby-backs), but if I tried 3-2-1 with baby-backs, I think I would end up with a pile of mush and bones. Even 2-2-1 is pushing it for me. (I usually cook between 225 and 250.)

I tried 3-2-1 with St. Louis cut ribs @225 and the ribs were slightly underdone. 250 might have been perfect.

I just did spares 3-2-1 at 250 in my UDS with a water pan, they were great!

I did some 3-2-1, and foiled for 2 hours with some apple juice... they were to mushy.. next time i am going to only foil for 1 hour.. 3-1-1

Ditto!
I was not happy with the texture.
3-1-1 works a better for me.

fil

You might also consider not adding any additional juice to the ribs. It really isn't needed as plenty of moisture will be rendered/leach from the ribs themselves inside the foil packet.

I have been doing more of a 2.45-1.45-.45 give or take 10-15mins on that last part. I normally smoke around 230-250. The only time I really seem to change is after they come out of the foil. Sometime it may only need 30mins and sometime it may an hour.

Back