The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   LSG offset: Spritz vs no sprits on ribs side-by-side (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267734)

Baby Back Maniac 12-20-2018 10:34 AM

LSG offset: Spritz vs no sprits on ribs side-by-side

This was fun. Troy and I got together and shot several videos last week. This morning he put up a brisket video on his channel, and I put up this one.

For years I never spritzed. I don't think I was "against" it as much as when I was learning I read some stuff that said it just slowed down the cooking process. Then I started hanging out with more competition cooks and almost all of them spritz. I can't say I noticed a huge difference either in flavor (or slowing down the cook) but I've never done a side by side test. That's where this idea came in. I wanted to see if there was a discernible difference in spritzing vs not spritzing.

Warning: It gets a little long at the end but we were really trying to determine the differences.

I hope you guys enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/BJCVqBBrKcE

lkissell 12-20-2018 10:44 AM

Baby Back Maniac,

I just wanted to thank you for your contributions to this site, and for sharing your BBQ knowledge.

You videos are fun and informative, and have saved me time and mistakes as I refine by BBQ skills.

Great job!

smoke ninja 12-20-2018 10:46 AM

I've always said that while most dont spritz the list of those who do is extremely credible

Smokey Lonesome 12-20-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkissell (Post 4112158)
Baby Back Maniac,

I just wanted to thank you for your contributions to this site, and for sharing your BBQ knowledge.

You videos are fun and informative, and have saved me time and mistakes as I refine by BBQ skills.

Great job!

^^^^^^^Totally Agree!!!

dadsr4 12-20-2018 11:31 AM

What I came away with is that you thought Harry Soo's rub is better with some sugar added, which matches my experience with rubs on pork in general, pork requires more sweetness than beef or chicken.
Also, you should have sprayed the third rack with plain water, as the spraying vs no spraying added another variable.:razz:
I liked the music you started out with, what was it?

TommyGipsson 12-20-2018 12:01 PM

Enjoyed the video, but it didn't settle the debate for me. Think it does demonstrate, however, that the quality of the rack matters. Can't always tell by looking at a raw rack whether it will produce the right result (or at least I can't).

BBQscott 12-20-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyGipsson (Post 4112187)
Enjoyed the video, but it didn't settle the debate for me. Think it does demonstrate, however, that the quality of the rack matters. Can't always tell by looking at a raw rack whether it will produce the right result (or at least I can't).

I agree with you here. The only way to truly know is to do another cook! Maybe this one could come out different... haha. Great video maniac! Love your channel and T-roys, always informative and entertaining. BBQ on brethren!

Jason TQ 12-20-2018 06:31 PM

I always watch "the abridged" version, but good one again. Ribs were super thin (like really thin) and one isn't a big sample size to really determine if spritz is good/bad. But a good start. I like pickle juice/hot sauce if I spritz. Would be interesting to see multiple shots at this with thicker ribs to get a better sample size.

Maybe in my abridged watching I missed the wrapping, but did you wrap? The fast forward "scroll view" showed no wrapping at all which then really isn't comp style (in today's sense) and a little misleading. But I get titles and youtube to draw views :-D. Lot's of great restaurants run naked and spritz, but the comp in the title to me isn't accurate at all. Also comp finishing at the end gets sauce, extra rub, and a bunch of other things.

sthamm 12-20-2018 07:12 PM

Good video but I have a short attention span for most youtube videos over 5-10 minutes. Verdict: spritz is equivalent to no spritz except when sugar is in the mix. Makes sense. Liquid evaporates leaving the sugar behind.

kevinstaggs 12-20-2018 09:15 PM

Thanks for doing this. I absolutely love experiments. Honestly I wasn’t too surprised by the results but it’s always nice to have a real test to rely on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KB BBQ 12-20-2018 10:12 PM

Brother Justin, nice test and fun video to watch. I agree it's hard to get an even trio of ribs in a cryovac. Maybe having a few racks to choose from for each category would make the sample selection a little more even. If you need someone to help eat the leftovers just let me know.

EyeBurnEverything 12-20-2018 10:20 PM

In my experience a high sugar spritz like apple juice helps caramelization during the initial higher temps for setting a nice bark. But i always just add some brown sugar for that. In my opinion, if you plan to wrap mid way through, dont bother spritzing.

Baby Back Maniac 12-21-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkissell (Post 4112158)
Baby Back Maniac,

Great job!

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

Baby Back Maniac 12-21-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadsr4 (Post 4112175)
What I came away with is that you thought Harry Soo's rub is better with some sugar added, which matches my experience with rubs on pork in general, pork requires more sweetness than beef or chicken.
Also, you should have sprayed the third rack with plain water, as the spraying vs no spraying added another variable.:razz:
I liked the music you started out with, what was it?

Yeah, I will probably do a follow up video on this if people seem to watch it. There were a lot of different ways to cut this. water would have made sense. A salty non-sweet spritz might have been interesting. I would also be curious if there is a difference between straight apple juice and straight Apple cider vinegar.

That song is from Epidemic Sound. It's called "Mountain Air." I kinda like the mello feel to it. Kinda fits where I am in life right now. Thanks for noticing.

Czarbecue 12-21-2018 07:00 PM

Maybe for the next video you should add some credibility to my mayo vs ranch vs mustard slather for ribs :heh: