The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Catering, Food Handling and Awareness (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Honest vending results (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142042)

INmitch 08-20-2012 10:00 PM

Honest vending results

As some might know I do comps as Fowl Butt BBQ. A team mate of mine is 31 and is sharp as a tack. He works (basically runs) at a family owned food distribution business. I've been self employed (successfully) since I was 22 now 50. We've got the Idea of getting into vending on a medium to large scale. I think there is money to be made but I would like to hear some honest opinions and testimomials????? PM me if you don't want to post!! I'm burnt out of owning trucks and babysitting 20+ truckdrivers on a daily basis.

indianagriller 08-21-2012 01:11 AM

We have done some vending this year, if you are in connersville we can chat, if not i can give you a call.

jbrink01 08-21-2012 06:14 PM

We've made $7,000 in 2 days and we've lost $1,000 in a day. In my humble opinion, the money is in selling PP Nachos, PP Parfait's, Haystacks, Brisket Salads, etc...Meat costs too much to take a potential beating on it so I shy away from slabs and sandwiches at festivals. To tell the truth, I shy away from festivals anymore. We still sell roadside at a buddy's gas station. Sell 500#'s and go home by 2pm 2 days a week. We cater a bunch as well. Catering is better, but we don't negotiate price much.

daninnewjersey 08-22-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbrink01 (Post 2184732)
We still sell roadside at a buddy's gas station. Sell 500#'s and go home by 2pm 2 days a week.

That's a dream setup.....

Jacked UP BBQ 08-22-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daninnewjersey (Post 2185439)
That's a dream setup.....

500#'s by 2pm. WOW you must be getting paid

cpw 08-22-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

We've made $7,000 in 2 days and we've lost $1,000 in a day. In my humble opinion, the money is in selling PP Nachos, PP Parfait's, Haystacks, Brisket Salads, etc...Meat costs too much to take a potential beating on it so I shy away from slabs and sandwiches at festivals. To tell the truth, I shy away from festivals anymore. We still sell roadside at a buddy's gas station. Sell 500#'s and go home by 2pm 2 days a week. We cater a bunch as well. Catering is better, but we don't negotiate price much.

What's a haystack?

vexter1 09-10-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

I agree with Jeff, PP Nachos and sandwiches go really well for us. We do both pulled pork and pulled beef (chuck roasts) - and have a pretty good response from those items. Ribs are a mess to vend IMHO - to make enough money to make them worth the time they will end up being expensive - and the public 'generally' doesn't want to pay what I need them to to make ribs worth my time.

I like festivals (since I don't have a friend with a gas station...lol) - but I watch the entry fees closely and have learned that most of the organizers' numbers are off as far as guests....it's usually much lower - so I make sure I cut back on cooking so I can hti the sweet spot - we recently sold out all 3 days at my last festival, so I'm getting better at gauging attendance and how much to cook.

I've made as much as $4000 over a couple of days, but luckily have always broke even or better at all the events I've vended. I do catering as well - and much like Jeff, the price is what it is. I've found if they want it, they want it - no questions asked. It is much easier than vending however for sure (at least IMHO)

For cpw - a haystack is this - per jbrink01's post -
"We do something very similar called a Haystack. Build in this order; Fritos, PP, Sauce, Shredded Cheese, Shredded Lettuce, Diced Red Onions, Ranch Dressing."

cpw 09-10-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexter1 (Post 2207376)

"We do something very similar called a Haystack. Build in this order; Fritos, PP, Sauce, Shredded Cheese, Shredded Lettuce, Diced Red Onions, Ranch Dressing."

Oh, cool. Sounds good!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Jeffc 09-10-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ (Post 2185776)
500#'s by 2pm. WOW you must be getting paid

No kidding that nearly 2000 sandwiches in a few hours! What cooker do you use?

As for the OP this is our first full time year vending. I can say that there is money in it from a margin prospective but there is also substantial risk and the bigger festivals look better than they turn out. We took a big hit on one event this year, but the other dozen or so were real good. Like any venture put together a biz plan and run the scenarios and see if it makes sense for you. It is a hell of a lot of work but it is rewarding if you have a product everyone is loving, which we do!

Cheers Jeff

Jeff Hughes 09-10-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexter1 (Post 2207376)
I agree with Jeff, PP Nachos and sandwiches go really well for us. We do both pulled pork and pulled beef (chuck roasts) - and have a pretty good response from those items. Ribs are a mess to vend IMHO - to make enough money to make them worth the time they will end up being expensive - and the public 'generally' doesn't want to pay what I need them to to make ribs worth my time.

I like festivals (since I don't have a friend with a gas station...lol) - but I watch the entry fees closely and have learned that most of the organizers' numbers are off as far as guests....it's usually much lower - so I make sure I cut back on cooking so I can hti the sweet spot - we recently sold out all 3 days at my last festival, so I'm getting better at gauging attendance and how much to cook.

I've made as much as $4000 over a couple of days, but luckily have always broke even or better at all the events I've vended. I do catering as well - and much like Jeff, the price is what it is. I've found if they want it, they want it - no questions asked. It is much easier than vending however for sure (at least IMHO)

Shannon,

Call me some time, lost your number bud...

Hope the fam is well and good to see you here...

Jeff

vexter1 09-11-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffc (Post 2207981)

As for the OP this is our first full time year vending. I can say that there is money in it from a margin prospective but there is also substantial risk and the bigger festivals look better than they turn out. We took a big hit on one event this year, but the other dozen or so were real good. Like any venture put together a biz plan and run the scenarios and see if it makes sense for you. It is a hell of a lot of work but it is rewarding if you have a product everyone is loving, which we do!

Cheers Jeff

Jeff,

I agree with you - the bigger ones are usually are worst ones. I find that the smaller venues (not too small of course..lol) are the ones we usually do well at - like the 6000-8000 attendance range or so. I'm actually starting to avoid the larger venues and hitting the smaller ones. I also find the smaller venues are generally a little easier to deal with as far as the organizers and amenities (like electricity and such..) - just my $0.2 ;)

vexter1 09-11-2012 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes (Post 2208003)
Shannon,

Call me some time, lost your number bud...

Hope the fam is well and good to see you here...

Jeff

Will do Mr. Hughes - I have your number - I'll give ya a call very soon. Good to hear from you as well - everyone here is doing well :) I'll be in touch!

BBQ_Mayor 09-11-2012 12:08 PM

We just started this year. Only did 2 vending jobs.
We did very well in both of them but we only cooked for how much we wanted to make, $ wise.. First one we sold out of everything. Ribs, Pork and Brisket sandwiches, baked beans and chips. 2nd one, we did'nt sell out but made more than enough of our money back.
Hoping to do a few more next year. It's a lot of fun I think.. Good luck.

cynfulsmokersbbq 09-11-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffc (Post 2207981)

Cheers Jeff

Jeff, what was the event you took a hit on? How did the Quad City events turn out? I'd sure love to get into BBQ round-up in CR and the Rib Burn off in Davenport.

Jeffc 09-12-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq (Post 2208589)
Jeff, what was the event you took a hit on? How did the Quad City events turn out? I'd sure love to get into BBQ round-up in CR and the Rib Burn off in Davenport.

Hope all is well! This was Sturgis on the river at the fair grounds

As far a the CR round up they haven't let "locals" participate rather the big nationals. This rcvd a bunch of bad press this year and would be surprised if this doesnt change next year. I have heard the Rib event downtown Davenport is a good one. I was on the wait list last year and did get in.