• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Recipe for chilli to use on chilli dogs Please

This is the real deal recipe from a a Dog shope in Pa.I had a Cousin that worked her way through Pit in the joint and I got the recipe from her. Dang good stuff.

Hot dog Chili

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped
1 pound extra-lean ground beef (hamburger)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water

Preparation:

In a large stock pot over medium-high heat add ground beef and enough water to cover it break up the meat in the water add in the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the remaining ingredients: allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

I use a recipe for cincinnati chili for my hotdog sauce. It appears to be very similar to the Dog Shop method. Works everytime and any left overs get served as cincinnati chili (on pasta).

Forgive my ignorance :oops:

Is there a difference between chili for dogs vs. regular chili?

We love chili dogs, but have never made them at home.

TIM

Forgive my ignorance :oops:

Is there a difference between chili for dogs vs. regular chili?

We love chili dogs, but have never made them at home.

TIM

In my opinion chili dog chili is just meat and spices NO beans. Has to have some zip, it's the kind of thing you should just eat on the can, cause you're gonna end up there sooner than later.

Im with lola, I also use a recipe for Cincinnati chilli for our dogs.

Hey Bludog! what part of Pa was that dog shop in?

Here is one very similar to what I grew up with here in central VA. It's different but it's also delicious.

1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 pound ground beef heart (optional)
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 15 ounce can reduced sodium beef broth
Chili powder
Black pepper
Granulated garlic
Texas Pete hot sauce
Corn starch

Add the meat to a pot and pour in the tomato sauce and about 2/3 of the broth. Stir the meat to make a slurry. This gives the meat the texture of hot dog chili sauce meat that most of us are used to eating. Don't brown the meat first.

After the pot comes to a simmer, add your seasonings with about 1/4 cup of Texas Pete. The chili should have a nice kick plenty of black pepper and only a hint of chili powder flavor. The richness of the hot dog and other toppings will tone down the heat.

If it's too thin, add a couple of teaspoons of corn starch to some of the reserved broth, mix well and whisk only enough into the chili for it to reach the desired thickness.

Remember, slightly spicy, plenty of black pepper, and only a hint of chili powder.

Serve on hot dogs with mustard, onions and steamed buns.

Here is a pic of what you are shooting for.

picture.php

I think you guys would dry retch if you ate what is sold as a hot dog weiner from downunder.
Ive never had an American one but i have read all about them and baby, we are NOT getting the same deal.

So, my point is, we make chili dogs using our style of sausages instead here.
Very different but I think you would like them, I'm sure of it.
Home style

so now all I need is some good recipes for chili, thanks brothers!
I'll also google Cincinatti Chili too!

I think you guys would dry retch if you ate what is sold as a hot dog weiner from downunder.
Ive never had an American one but i have read all about them and baby, we are NOT getting the same deal.

So, my point is, we make chili dogs using our style of sausages instead here.
Very different but I think you would like them, I'm sure of it.
Home style

so now all I need is some good recipes for chili, thanks brothers!
I'll also google Cincinatti Chili too!

picture.php

In my opinion a good hot dog chili should not run off the bun should be a firmer chilie.

Back