The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Backwoods ChubbyG2 Problems (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176031)

jburch77 11-25-2013 10:50 AM

Backwoods ChubbyG2 Problems

I am new to the forum. A first time BWS ChubbyG2 owner. I have researched the forum for guidance on this issue. My method to lighting has been 1. open full side and top dampers 2. while leaving firebox door slighly open - light front right corner of firebox 3. once reaching 200 degrees, close left side, shut the firedoor and add water to the pan. My problem here is once I add the water I cant get the chubbly past 220 degrees. I have opened all dampers fully and it will not climb temps. I am using kingsford charcoal. The dry runs I did initially without water did fine but once I started trying to use the water pan I can not get the temps up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

gtr 11-25-2013 10:54 AM

Couple ways to go about it, one being to not put water in the pan - just foil it or maybe use a little sand or a terra cotta saucer thingee. Also, rather than light from the corner in the cooker, get about 1/2 chimney lit, have yer other charcoal on the grate with the back left corner left open for the lit stuff, dump then lit stuff there, and then put the grate in the cooker. If you really want to use water (pain in the butt in my opinion) you can heat it up before putting in the pan. You will also get a hotter burn with lump charcoal, but it doesn't burn as evenly and predictably as briqs.

BruceB 11-25-2013 10:58 AM

Are you adding cold water or hot? I don't own a Backwoods, however, in my WSM, when I use to use water, if you added cold water it took longer for the cooker to get to temp due to the fact that most of the heat energy was being used to heat the water. Adding hot water allowed it to come to temp much quicker. Or you could try using more charcoal.

ajstrider 11-25-2013 11:20 AM

The water is a huge heatsink that absorbs a lot of your heat energy. Some good recommendations have already been made.

1. Water - Heat up the water on the stove before you put it in. Or at least use hot water from the sink. Don't put as much water in the pan, I am pretty sure that the pan is a pretty large size. Also try not putting the water on so early, the larger the temperature difference between the cooker and the water, the better the heat transfer will be and it will speed up the heat up, heck overshoot your goal temperature because you know the water is going to drop the temperature.

2. Charcoal - Start with more lit charcoal, a chimney is probably a better way to go. A chimney will bring that charcoal up to a higher temperature initially and help with the heatuo better.

jlane 11-25-2013 12:07 PM

I always start with the water in from the get-go, using hot water. I don't see the purpose of heating up the chamber only to add water and cool it down. When adjusting the side intakes don't close the left all the way, leave it open a crack. You will get up to temp quicker if you use more lit coals as mentioned already.

shares 11-25-2013 12:09 PM

I have a Chubby G1, not the G2, but what I do might translate to the G2. It's a lot simpler than what you're going through.

I get light my chimney of about 12 briquettes. While they light I fill my fire tray leaving front right open.

Water pan half full cold

Rear left vent 100% open, exhaust 100% open.

Dump lit coals in corner, slam door closed. In one hour or less it will settle in where it wants to cook 250+- don't fight it. You can remove the heat deflector to heat the water more quickly if you want or just relax and give it an hour.

As it gets hot, start ramping left rear closed 50% until about 1/4 open. You don't want to snuff the fire, keep it hot clean and healthy.

You'll get the hang of it in no time it's so simple.

By the way, if you're maintaining temp without water then why use water it?

Untraceable 11-25-2013 12:14 PM

No reason to leave the firebox door cracked open while starting. the side air intakes are more than enough to lit the pit.

thats not your problem though. its just too much water. run sand. be happy. change the sand out every few cooks or fat dripping will form inpromptu asphalt

Jason TQ 11-25-2013 12:29 PM

Here is a post I did when I first got my G2 chubby. Granted now I run it off my cyberq 2, but I learned to run it manually without it first. The method I use in in the thread below, but here it is as well.

Water pan is full (hot or cold water didn't make much a difference). Fill it up with kingsford briquettes and light the back 2 corners with weber cubes. Both side vents are completely open when the temp hit 200 I closed both to about half way. When it hits 225 I closed the back left fully and it normally will stabilize around 250.

A tip that could help is to drop the ash tray to the bottom of the smoker. Leave the charcoal tray on the rack slider, but take that ash tray out and let it sit on the bottom. Better air flow.

I know some folks run it dry, but it is a water cooker and I have had zero issue with a full water pan and temps up to 275. Also you could remove the heat deflector. I actually never have mine in anymore.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=150301

Untraceable 11-25-2013 01:29 PM

No one has used a G2 Chubby more than fnbish.

Fireburd 11-25-2013 02:36 PM

I run a G2 Party and have no issues. Every smoker is unique and mine likes to settle at 275 so I don't fight it. I start with a mix of briquetes and lump in my pan. Pull it 3/4 of the way out and light two Webber cubes about 2 inches apart in the front right corner. While those are burning off I will fill up my water pan depending on what I cook. Short cooks like ribs and chicken get a half pan of water and longer cooks get a full pan. Once the cubes have burned out and the charcoal is red I push the tray in and slam the door. I run both vents all the way until around 200 at which time I close the furthest vent from where I lit and the other vent I close to where 1/4 is open. I also add my wood at this time to get to my thin blue by the time I hit 275. The biggest thing I can say is make sure you are running good charcoal. You didn't spend that kind of money on a BWS to be running grocery store charcoal. Not hating on it but a majority of it you get what you pay for. It burns fast and not as hot and what you save in price difference you just spend in buying more charcoal to keep your fire going. Great cookers and once you get it tuned in they almost run by themselves. Just find out how yours wants to run and don't fight it.

grantw 11-25-2013 02:43 PM

I have a party but what i do is use a chimney starter light about half a bucket spread it across the back, fill the rest with unlit and let it burn forward

garzanium 11-25-2013 03:06 PM

I have never had a problem getting the smoker hot..my problem was really learning to manage to run it at 225-250 as it naturally seems to like 250+

I run a full chimney- leave the front corner empty a bit, lay a nice bed of charcoal with wood on top of it- all vents open. add chimney, close door and wait till it gets to about 200 or so. I add just a bit of water as I do not like adding water once its over 225 or so as im afaid of the water pan warping or something as it sounds like heck when I have done it in the past.

Just enough water to cover the bottom. Then get it within 50* of the temp I want. Add the remainder of the water. Once climbing and within 25* or so of where I want it, I adjust side vents accordingly. Top always wide open.

When I want to run it low, I add only a thin base of charcoal, when I want to run it hotter, I run a full bed. I use KBB. I honestly run it on wood after it starts dropping- by that time-my food is wrapped so I can add as much or just a few sticks and consistantly run it the rest of the way.

garzanium 11-25-2013 03:16 PM

Also- dont run sand...Chase Lumen from BWS does not recommend it..other pits are made to run dry- BWS was made to run as a water cooker- so I run it the way it was intended..just my two cents.

smokinit 11-25-2013 05:43 PM

They do have a bit of an air flow problem with the ash pan being so close to the fire box dropping it down does help.

abangs 12-04-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinit (Post 2707872)
They do have a bit of an air flow problem with the ash pan being so close to the fire box dropping it down does help.

The firebox was changed back in May. They no longer hang the ash pan under the firebox. it sits on the floor like the other models (except G2Party). If anyone has the first generation of this, then just ziz off the tack welds on the ash pan hanger. Problem solved.