The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Curious: Front Yard/Driveway Cooking (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279122)

Smoker34 02-25-2020 05:29 PM

Curious: Front Yard/Driveway Cooking

I've been looking through bbq/grilling sites for years and I often come across pictures and videos of people grilling and smoking in front of their houses in their driveways, for all the world to see. And this runs the gamut from small kettle grills, Weber Smokey Mountain smokers, offset smokers, etc. In all my years of living in suburban neighborhoods, I have never once seen anyone doing this. It's always done in the backyard. Why would anyone smoke or grill in front of their houses? It seems like a backyard activity to me.

Hoss 02-25-2020 05:31 PM

Same here.Like you,I have seen pics of it on websites and such but never in real life.

Jason TQ 02-25-2020 05:43 PM

What don't you like/understand about cooking in front? To some, cooking out back is strange......

jstrand 02-25-2020 05:48 PM

Cook out front with my kettle and my Copperhead. Main reason is they are both kept in the garage. But it's nice to hang out and watch the neighborhood go by while drinking beer and my neighbors will generally swing over to chat and have beer with me.

Smoker34 02-25-2020 05:49 PM

Really? Cooking in the back of one's house is strange? Do you put your swimming pool, outdoor furniture and a hammock in the front? Seriously, I'm just curious about why anyone would do that.

Viticulture 02-25-2020 05:50 PM

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I've seen people BBQing out front especially when they have some sort of an event like a Bday party. They're out there cooking burgers / hotdogs right next to the bounce house.

I have a buddy with a stick burner that he keeps in the garage and cooks with out front. He takes better care of that thing than his cars.

WilliamKY 02-25-2020 05:55 PM

A lot of the pictures are outside of an attached garage. I also keep all my cookers in the garage but it happens to be detached and behind the house. I would likely be in the front driveway too if that were my setup.

Jason TQ 02-25-2020 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4275919)
Really? Cooking in the back of one's house is strange? Do you put your swimming pool, outdoor furniture and a hammock in the front? Seriously, I'm just curious about why anyone would do that.

And what is wrong with outdoor furniture or a hammock in the front? Just curious.

Smoker34 02-25-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason TQ (Post 4275927)
And what is wrong with outdoor furniture or a hammock in the front? Just curious.

Nothing, as long as you place them near the car on cinder blocks.

JohnH12 02-25-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4275907)
I've been looking through bbq/grilling sites for years and I often come across pictures and videos of people grilling and smoking in front of their houses in their driveways, for all the world to see. And this runs the gamut from small kettle grills, Weber Smokey Mountain smokers, offset smokers, etc. In all my years of living in suburban neighborhoods, I have never once seen anyone doing this. It's always done in the backyard. Why would anyone smoke or grill in front of their houses? It seems like a backyard activity to me.

Maybe you should get out of Jersey more often.
That happens all over the place.

Smoker34 02-25-2020 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH12 (Post 4275937)
Maybe you should get out of Jersey more often.
That happens all over the place.

Yes, that's why I'm asking why people do it.

pharp 02-25-2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

My daughter loves animals. I am a super clean freak. We have two dogs, two cats, and a rabbit in the back yard. I thought it was gross to cook around them (not judging anyone that does, I just didn't like it). So I kept all my grills on the side of the house and moved whatever I was going to use on the drive way for the day. I got tired of doing that, so over the summer I built a fenced in grilling patio on the side of the house. It is fenced in and has my PBC, Humphrey's, PK, UDS, a stainless storage cart, a commercial fridge, and a small grilling canopy. This summer I am going to add a roof and some nice patio furniture! Not sure this answers your question, but I love my daughter and her animals bring her so much joy...so for me grilling in front was an easy choice.

LloydQ 02-25-2020 06:40 PM

I just thought my bone broth thread was gonna go to 10 pages! Dis gone be gud!

4ever3 02-25-2020 06:48 PM

I bet in yer hood you eat yer ribs with a pinky stickin’ out!

https://i.postimg.cc/P5zR2qfk/68-E21...97-B3382-F.jpg

(I kid, I kid...)

food4thot 02-25-2020 06:49 PM

Probably depends on the layout of the home. Keep all my grills/smokers in the attached garage, which is set back from the front of the house by ~25 feet. Real easy to move whatever gadget out on the driveway...taking them in the backyard would be silly. Plus, really easy to move prepped food out to the grill and then back in the house post cook.

My vehicle is always in the driveway so setup between it and the garage doors. Only people that can see what I'm doing are the next door neighbors on the side the garage is on. They've not complained once in 10 years.

Previous two homes also had attached garages. One was at the front of the structure and the other was flush with the front of the house. In those cases I cooked on the side of the garage, again for easy access to and from the kitchen via a side entry door.

Only homes I've cooked in the backyard had detached garages in the backyard.

Liking my current layout better than any of the others for the convenience.

food4thot 02-25-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LloydQ (Post 4275947)
I just thought my bone broth thread was gonna go to 10 pages! Dis gone be gud!

Don't sell your thread short. I could post many times there.

Bone "broth" is just flavored water. Bone stock is what you want.

SmittyJonz 02-25-2020 07:09 PM

That how us Cityfied Rednecks do it......

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bce842679b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ffe49c74c2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d0ef0c7bcf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...27ce575c97.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-[IMG]https:...06bad6c1b9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...de57853451.jpgcdn.com/20200226/cf184d8aa2265f03e84371e8c29d0780.jpg[/IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...36660c9244.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...868afe5087.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmittyJonz 02-25-2020 07:14 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...9b487f1be1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...6e4d36b473.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...85c80cec04.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d54909bd0a.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...2024cea558.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thirdeye 02-25-2020 07:16 PM

It's a weather thing for me. With the exception of my Big Chief box smoker, which I use mostly for fish, all my smokers are on the back yard patio. The Eggs laugh at snow or high wind, but my driveway is on the leeward side of my house..... so if I use my Mini WSM or the Big Chief, I'll set them up in the drive way. My drum is so light I can dolly it to the driveway, again to hide from the wind.

My ex-neighbor had a gas grill in his garage that he wheeled out on the driveway, and..... he set up a few extra lawn chairs as kind of a teaser. It was kind of open invitation to for neighbors to stop by (BYOB) and visit and have a few snacks before they cooked their main dinner.

SmittyJonz 02-25-2020 07:21 PM

My reason is because my smokers are too big to drag around back and I bought and sold and traded and or built 20 + smokers and I don’t feel like dragging 20+ smokers in and out of the backyard- and my back yard faces 20 acres of soccer fields and faces the north - so I get cold north wind blowing on my back porch all winter long - in the driveway house blocks the cold wind.
And my kitchen connects to the garage.........

drunkenmeatfist 02-25-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4275933)

Sounds like you have very strong opinions on what other people do on their own property. Why would it matter if someone rolls a cooker out of their garage and cooks in front of their house? This offends your delicate sensibilities?

Jason TQ 02-25-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4275933)

There you go. Good for you. Just say what you wanted to say in your original post. See, doesn't that feel better now :clap2: :thumb:

Grain Belt 02-25-2020 07:23 PM

Out my front door gives me lots of pros vs cons. I have level ground, a covered porch in case of rain, and am just steps away from the kitchen for prep. Only a sick SOB would cook out the back door. :grin:

Rockinar 02-25-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

When I had my backyard offset I felt bad smoking out the neighbors and their kids in the backyard constantly for endless hours. Cooking in the driveway would have been better and not bothered anyone. Grilling...backyard.

Happy Hapgood 02-25-2020 07:35 PM

Was hoping you would check in on this one Smitty. Well Done.

pjtexas1 02-25-2020 07:38 PM

I have no windows, other than bedroom windows, facing the front of my house. That makes it difficult to see if my front yard is on fire. I also think it's a little weird but that doesn't mean people shouldn't do it. I'm also paranoid that someone would steal my cooker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BuffettFan 02-25-2020 07:38 PM

Old house was on a corner lot with the drive way and garage facing the side street.
That's where all the cooking took place.
New (17 years) house, all takes place in the back with the exception of the Blackstone, which lives in the garage which opens to the side of the house.
But never in the front yard.
That's just weird! :laugh:

TropicDad 02-25-2020 07:49 PM

My garage door and driveway are on the side of the house. Previous owner built an addition to the back of the house (Florida Room) with the door also on the side. I have no door or patio in the back. I keep my GMG JB in the garage and just roll it out into the driveway to cook. This way I also have easy access to the kitchen.

I also have a small gas grill and my Santa Maria grill that I leave outside on the side of the house. Dave Fisk built my santa maria with the end of a propane tank, 3/8 steel. No fear of rusting out.

RIP Dave, we miss you.

Smoke on Badger Mountain 02-25-2020 08:01 PM

Well my stick burner would not make the corner to get behind the house without running over my fire pit. The kettle ant drum and the griddle are right outside the kitchen door because that makes things easy. But then again my driveway is a dirt road.

cowgirl 02-25-2020 08:16 PM

My cookers are all over the place. lol My "yard" area is around 3 acres.
I cook north of the house, when the southern summer wind just about knocks me down.
There are several cookers behind the house, close to the patio and swimming pool.
A couple of cookers by my shop.
A couple on the back deck.
My smokehouse and block pit are south of the house.....
and the underground pit is anywhere I can get the backhoe in to dig it! :laugh:

I live in the middle of nowhere. No neighbors here. :grin:

Smoker34 02-25-2020 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist (Post 4275986)
Sounds like you have very strong opinions on what other people do on their own property. Why would it matter if someone rolls a cooker out of their garage and cooks in front of their house? This offends your delicate sensibilities?

Iíve lived in all types of suburbs and Iím pretty sure that in any of them, if I put outdoor furniture, a hammock, smokers and bbq grills in my front yard or in front of the house at all, I would hear complaints from the neighbors. Sorry if I offended a few here, but it seems very unusual to do this, unless thereís a necessity, as some have described here.

Hoss 02-25-2020 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl (Post 4276022)
My cookers are all over the place. lol
I cook north of the house, when the southern summer wind just about knocks me down.
There are several cookers behind the house, close to the patio and swimming pool.
A couple of cookers by my shop.
A couple on the back deck.
My smokehouse and block pit are south of the house.....
and the underground pit is anywhere I can get the backhoe in to dig it! :laugh:

I live in the middle of nowhere. No neighbors here. :grin:

Best scenario.I am building a new home on the Old Home Place.I can cook wherever I want and still not have to see nosy neighbors.I can't wait! :thumb:

Hoss 02-25-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4276023)
Iíve lived in all types of suburbs and Iím pretty sure that in any of them, if I put outdoor furniture, a hammock, smokers and bbq grills in my front yard or in front of the house at all, I would hear complaints from the neighbors. Sorry if I offended a few here, but it seems very unusual to do this, unless thereís a necessity, as some have described here.

Some gotta do what they gotta do.I understand that.Big trend around here is folks hanging out,kids playing in front yard.Gotta be careful coming in from work,snots will dart out into the road in a flash.They all have fenced in back yards but also have Adirondack chairs and such sitting out front like it is Mayberry.I have not seen any cooking/ grilling out front though.We hang,play and cook out back.Nothing against the ones that do.Different strokes.Just not my thing.I like my neighbors but I like my privacy when relaxing even more.

pjtexas1 02-25-2020 08:44 PM

Jeanie...
If the wind is knocking you over you need to hit the gym or drink less! [emoji2135] [emoji33] [emoji23]

drunkenmeatfist 02-25-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 4276031)
Some gotta do what they gotta do.I understand that.Big trend around here is folks hanging out,kids playing in front yard.Gotta be careful coming in from work,snots will dart out into the road in a flash.They all have fenced in back yards but also have Adirondack chairs and such sitting out front like it is Mayberry.I have not seen any cooking/ grilling out front though.We hang,play and cook out back.Nothing against the ones that do.Different strokes.Just not my thing.I like my neighbors but I like my privacy when relaxing even more.

The Mayberry part is interesting to me. I read about a community being built in Amarillo a few years ago that had very limited backyard space. The idea was to encourage interaction between neighbors by not letting everyone literally hide behind their backyard fences. I do think privacy and boundaries are good, but if any of my neighbors were cooking something in the front of their house I wouldn't give it a second thought.

gtr 02-25-2020 08:48 PM

If I cooked out front I'd probably have to wear pants. :mad:

cowgirl 02-25-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjtexas1 (Post 4276032)
Jeanie...
If the wind is knocking you over you need to hit the gym or drink less! [emoji2135] [emoji33] [emoji23]

:laugh: This is Oklahoma. You have to keep rocks in your pockets to weigh you down. :grin:

Hoss 02-25-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist (Post 4276036)
The Mayberry part is interesting to me. I read about a community being built in Amarillo a few years ago that had very limited backyard space. The idea was to encourage interaction between neighbors by not letting everyone literally hide behind their backyard fences. I do think privacy and boundaries are good, but if any of my neighbors were cooking something in the front of their house I wouldn't give it a second thought.

It would not bother me at all if the neighbors cooked out front.It is just not something I am going to do.That is their business,not mine.I like my fence and my back yard.

InThePitBBQ 02-25-2020 10:07 PM

We don't mess around here when it comes to neighborhood BBQ, I wheel out a Shirley Fab in the driveway and set up a refrigerated prep table next to it full of good stuff to share with them.

HogGrog 02-25-2020 10:12 PM

My problems have problems...

Farkin’ addicted to cookers and couldn’t resist buying a stick burner cheaper than I could have bought for a ‘backyard’ model.

But it didn’t fit in the backyard, so I cook in the driveway and buy extra meat to feed the neighbors, sometimes...

No issues so far and with fortunate landscaping, parking the truck in the right spot and a place to tuck myself in the garage, I get a enough privacy but would still prefer the backyard.

Smoke gonna roll, front or back.:grin:

Hoss 02-25-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InThePitBBQ (Post 4276057)
We don't mess around here when it comes to neighborhood BBQ, I wheel out a Shirley Fab in the driveway and set up a refrigerated prep table next to it full of good stuff to share with them.

That is fine for a NEIGHBORHOOD BBQ.Ihost several cooks for large parties at the farm every year but sometimes all I want is peace and quiet and thin blue wafting into the air.Not company.

Swine Spectator 02-25-2020 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TropicDad (Post 4276002)
My garage door and driveway are on the side of the house.

This^^^
My Shirley lives in my garage. I roll it out to the driveway to cook an roll it back when done. If I am doing a big cook, I'll set up the pop-up tent. Some neighbors frown on this, others stop by and have a beer. If they don't like it they can move to a gated community with an HOA and ban it. My neighborhood is like Outback Steakhouse - "No rules, just right".

Quote:

Dave Fisk built my santa maria with the end of a propane tank, 3/8 steel. No fear of rusting out.

RIP Dave, we miss you.
I never met Dave in person, but he made one of his "Fiskstone" griddles for me. We traded many e-mails until we didn't. I miss him, too.

InThePitBBQ 02-25-2020 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoss (Post 4276063)
That is fine for a NEIGHBORHOOD BBQ.Ihost several cooks for large parties at the farm every year but sometimes all I want is peace and quiet and thin blue wafting into the air.Not company.

My cookers are to darn big and heavy to hook onto the truck and destroy the septic pulling them to the back yard so it all happens in the driveway "NEIGHBORHOOD BBQ" style.

Like it or not the smoke rolls, better to be accommodating than not.

ssv3 02-25-2020 11:06 PM

At home it's all in the backyard. At the cabin the front yard/driveway. Easier to roll the cookers straight out the garage, pull out a couple lawn chairs, grab a few beers and chill out and watch the smoke roll. Heck, met quite a few of the neighbors smoking in the front that I would've never met. Shared bbq and went over to their place for drinks. Try it out, it's purdy kool. But then again I'm a social farker.

View from inside of the garage throwing back a few. It's relaxing.

https://i.imgur.com/mEQapjql.jpg

TC Smoke & Que 02-26-2020 05:59 AM

I am set up in the back yard, which makes the kitchen easy access for my prep. Plus I store my grills smokers on the screened patio because the garage is full of tools, etc. The driveway has a deep angle to it so I have to block everything for "level". The neighbors dont mind because I am always sharing some of the bigger cooks.
I do like the privacy of the backyard and it faces south so most E / SE winds dont blow back into the house.

JohnH12 02-26-2020 06:09 AM

I sure wish all those Jersey folks would quit moving to Florida. Pretty soon any visible BBQ/Smoking will be illegal!

KevinJ 02-26-2020 07:53 AM

I had an addition and covered patio built on the back of the house so that's where I cook now. Used to have a Weber Gasser that lived in the garage, gifted it to my sister in law because I no longer need a gasser, before I gave it away I rolled it out and cooked on the driveway.

These are my neighbors that live across the street, neighbor on the right has a gasser and propane smoker he keeps in his garage pulls them out front to cook, the neighbor on the left has a Weber Kettle he keeps in his garage pulls it out and cooks right beside his Mercedes M Class. :shocked:

Sorry no cars parked on cinder blocks in this neighborhood just well manicured yards.

https://i.imgur.com/8vMAIqA.jpg?2

Jrogers84 02-26-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoker34 (Post 4276023)

"Detroit style" house have a large front porch that is raised but 4-6 steps. Its 100% common in the area to have furniture and a grill on those.

"Detroit Bungalows were typically built in the Craftsman architectural style. They are typically 1-1/2 stories, with sweeping low pitched gabled or hipped roofs that extend over a front porch that matches the width of the home."

FYI I dont think you offended anyone but im sure you managed to get a few people to form an opinion on yourself.

70monte 02-26-2020 08:53 AM

I live in the country so no real close neighbors but most of my grills stay under a sided carport that has a concrete floor that is at the side of the house so when I want to use one of them, I pull it out to the front of the carport which faces the road and people see me cook all of the time. I also have two grills on the back porch that I use when the weather is nice and I want to be closer to the kitchen.

When I did live in a subdivision, most everyone cooked in the backyard.

Mikhail 02-26-2020 08:59 AM

How about the side? I don't have a comfortable place for my Open Range on the deck so I keep it in the side entry garage and wheel it out to the driveway when I cook. Visible from the street but who cares? The PK and the gas grill live on the deck.