Burnt ends

Grizzly6

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Smoked a 14lbs packer brisket this weekend on my UDS. Rained like a monster at about 8 hours in and messed with the cooker so I had to baby it to the finish. (not happy about that) the meat was a little on the tough side, but it had some decent flavor. I cut the point off and cubed up the burnt ends an put them in 8x8 pans for the burnt end portion. Cover the ends in a three pigs cherry rub and poured some red ale on top... this is where it went wrong. The beer was way to hoppy and dominated the flavor profile. Don't get me wrong the ends to not suck, however they could definately be better.

I have read through some other threads on the burnt ends, but what do you guys do to make them awesome? I love good burnt ends and want to learn how not ruin $40 worth of meat.

I only cooked one brisket so far so I am no expert. I cubed mine and used a 50/50 mix of the au jus sauce from the foil it cooked in mixed with BBQ sauce. To me that much bbq sauce overwhelmed it. I have seen or read that Myron normally just used the juices from the cook poured over his burnt ends, and I think that is what I will do next time, cube them and pour in the drippings. For beef I love the juices, whatever juices I get out of a steak goes in a bowl for each bite to be dipped, so I think the burnt ends would be perfect just in the juices it created, which are nicely seasoned from the the meat and rub you used.

Yep it's true. Most people if they're gonna sauce them or add anything that isn't their own juices simply add SOME BBQ sauce, but for me I typically just cube it up, add some rub, and add its own juices back in. I'll leave the sauce for application onto the sandwich if that's what they're going to be used as. My wife loathes BBQ sauce, but slathers mustard on burnt ends, I like sauce in severe moderation, and my kids love bathing stuff in BBQ sauce.

Now, what I'll typically do is add some stock to the juices as well. Either some vegetable stock, or some beef stock. Mostly just for the sake of having a half inch of liquid in the pan so the juices don't burn the pan itself.

Beef is better, but if I've got a lot of homemade veggie stock and my beef stock isn't that much, I'll throw the veggie stock in. Adds a nice depth of flavor, in my opinion.

Voila, burnt ends! Ready for saucing, or just gobbling.

Cube it, hit it with rub, toss it in some sauce and throw it on the smoker for an hour or two. I'm a sweet with heat type of guy so I usually end up with a sweeter final product than most.

Those ideas seem so much better than putting beer in it. The guys at work are loving the ends, but I am not happy with them. Thanks for the input.

I like to add a bit of sweet sauce, makes the finished product taste like beef candy. When I serve them, they go fast and everyone wants to know why there aren't more.

made some burnt ends yesterday they always turn out great all I do is reseason them with my rub, then take 1 cup of pan drippings and 1 cup of bbq sauce mix together and glaze them with a brush. put them back on the smoker for about an hour and Bam! done.

View attachment 69042

Last edited:
After seeing everyone else's burnt ends I realized that I cut mine way smaller. I actually split the point in half and then cube it. I also season a lot heavier. I like how it was described like bee candy. That's a perfect description. So are meat marshmallows. Haha

After seeing everyone else's burnt ends I realized that I cut mine way smaller. I actually split the point in half and then cube it. I also season a lot heavier. I like how it was described like bee candy. That's a perfect description. So are meat marshmallows. Haha

I try to cut mine in 1/2 inch cubes. They crisp up better for me that way.

Like others, I cube the point, pour in a little juice thatgathered while i was seperating the point from the flat, lightly dust with some rub and back in teh smoker for an hour, remove and lightly dust with more rub, add a LITTLE sauce and back in teh smoker for another hour. The results:

2011-05-31BurntEnds.jpg

Back