goin to wilmington, nc

Tut-T-Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
wheres a good bbq joint down in or around wilmington, north carolina? im headin down there in september for a wedding. i know the bbq and fried foods are a different taste than the north. wanna try some out.

Yo Tut, hopfully someone fresher will chime in. When I lived there in 96 and worked for Murphy Farms, it was naught. There was Oh Brians ribs...sucked. I don't remember the name, but there was this Q joint that advertised that Gregory Hines ate there and he said it was the best burger he ever had:twitch:; the q sucked. The best q I had was from the fellers cookin whole hog on their own. Eastren NC style. Dang I miss that. Anyway, if you get over to Harrell's, go to Clear Runs Farms and get some of their sauce. Mr Stedman's recipe. So good! I do miss Wilmington tho, great town.

I don't know of any good BBQ near there and I don't know how long your staying and what you can take with you but if I had a the time and chance I would go down to Holden Beach (less than an hour away) and go to Capt Pete's Seafood Market. Freshest seafood and if you time it right you can get the shrimp right off the boats.

Sadly, Wilmington is kind of hurting in the BBQ area. There is a food truck, www.poorpiggys.com, that is good if you can find him. His pulled pork is probably the best thing on the menu. Also he is a good dude that I never mind supporting.

There is also a place in Leland(5 minutes south of Wilmington) called Duke's Old South, that if you can get over their blatent theft of a name, is pretty good; its buffet style. I've heard Casey's Buffet is good too, but haven't been there. There is also a new chain in town called Mission BBQ that I liked, but have only been there once.

All of that said, Wilmington really isn't the best place for BBQ. If you are driving down, hit up some of the places north of here, and then hit some seafood spots when you get here.

Wilmington is very lacking in Que restaurants! On the other hand if you want one of the best ribeyes or t-bone chops go a little south of Wilmington to Kure Beach and eat at Freddie's. Been voted one of the best in the Wilmington area for many years. The wife and I go down every couple of months. If you go try the Steak Barbara, marinated grilled ribeye with crushed garlic and mozzarella, or the Rum Runner Chop with grilled peaches and a balsamic/brown sugar glaze!! Awesome food!!

Can't offer any help here, but this brought back memories that I had to post.

I stayed at UNC Wilmington for a week when I was in college a couple of decades ago. Being a westerner, I had never had NC style chopped Q before. A friend from elsewhere in the South took me to some Q joint in Wilmington (I don't recall where it was) and it was then that I learned the difference between the terms grilling and barbeque. We got a couple of tubs of chopped porky goodness and to us hungry college kids, it was pretty great!

I sort of think of that as my introduction to what has become one of my life's loves. ;)

Are you going to be driving or flying? Lots of excellent Q restaurants all the way down I-95 from you to Wilmington.

Wilmington is very lacking in Que restaurants! On the other hand if you want one of the best ribeyes or t-bone chops go a little south of Wilmington to Kure Beach and eat at Freddie's. Been voted one of the best in the Wilmington area for many years. The wife and I go down every couple of months. If you go try the Steak Barbara, marinated grilled ribeye with crushed garlic and mozzarella, or the Rum Runner Chop with grilled peaches and a balsamic/brown sugar glaze!! Awesome food!!

I couldn't agree more about Freddy's. I've been there 5 or 6 times, and haven't found the ability to not order a pork chop yet. I've never had a chop that even comes close to theirs. Its one of the few restaurant items that I can't reproduce at home.

if your driving down 95 and are in Wayne county there is Wilburs and Mcalls both are exellent Q

If you are driving stop in Richmond and hit Buzz and Ned's, excellent Q http://buzandneds.com/

time it right and I'll join you :)

We have a Mission BBQ here too now and I wasn't impressed

I was just in Wilmington. Wrench_H said there wasn't any good Q. We ended up at Front Street Brewery for dinner and Dixie Grill for breakfast. Both were pretty good.

im driving from south jersey. going for a wedding. but plan to make it a family vaca at the same time. gonna stay in fork union, va for a day at a family members house. (kinda a pit stop) also anyone been to Grady's in Dudley, nc?

Back