The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Found a use for a squirreled away electric blanket (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176886)

Okie Sawbones 12-07-2013 07:08 PM

Found a use for a squirreled away electric blanket

We have had unusually cold weather in the Puget Sound area. We rarely get in the 20s. This morning it was 12 degrees, and my Primo XL was frozen shut, and I had a pig belly to cook. I tried the starter cubes in the bottom of the pit to no avail, so I slapped the electric blanket on the smoker while I went about injecting the belly, putting on the rub, and letting it sit a while. By the time the belly was ready, the blanket had worked its magic. :-o Open sesame. The belly is now wrapped and ready to check in 30 minutes.

Anyone else ever had their Primo freeze shut? What did you do?

Fwismoker 12-07-2013 07:13 PM

Yep know that area well...USN in Bangor Wa for a few years.

Okie Sawbones 12-07-2013 09:04 PM

I just converted two guests to the joys of pork belly. Carole made slider rolls, and we pigged out. Life is good. :-D

Smoke Dawg 12-07-2013 09:17 PM

Your right around the corner, I am close to Black Lake. It is pretty cold these days and everything that had moisture is frozen shut, Had to beat the hell out of the garbage can to get it open!

Grills were covered so did not have that problem.

Pork Belly sounds good - The real PB sammich!

Kloogee 12-07-2013 09:21 PM

That's some good redneck engineering right there! Good use of what you have.

I don't have that type of smoker, but my first thought probably would have been to pull out my weed burner. Duct tape, a hammer, and my weed burner are pretty much my solution to all problems! :clap2:

bbqbull 12-07-2013 09:27 PM

I have heard of BGE's daisy wheel getting froze. Folks removed the entire cast assembly and dropped a couple of lighter cubes down the hole. They said around 10 minutes they were able to open the wheel.
Not sure how yours is constructed.

nucornhusker 12-07-2013 09:42 PM

Never have that issue with my KJ's, and we get much colder than that here. I do always keep it covered when not in use too.

Okie Sawbones 12-07-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smoke Dawg (Post 2722047)
Your right around the corner, I am close to Black Lake. It is pretty cold these days and everything that had moisture is frozen shut, Had to beat the hell out of the garbage can to get it open!

Grills were covered so did not have that problem.

Pork Belly sounds good - The real PB sammich!

I had it covered with a Primo cover... to no avail.

Gore 12-07-2013 09:46 PM

I just did a search on "squirreled away electric blanket" and you haven't posted this previously. You might consider doing a similar search next week when you want to post this great idea. :thumb:

Okie Sawbones 12-07-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 2722076)
I just did a search on "squirreled away electric blanket" and you haven't posted this previously. You might consider doing a similar search next week when you want to post this great idea. :thumb:

Have you taken a long walk on a short pier lately? 8-) :fish:

Smoke Dawg 12-07-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie Sawbones (Post 2722074)
I had it covered with a Primo cover... to no avail.

Maybe put something like a rolled up paper towel in between the seal to keep it from closing tight? Your right we don't usually have this problem.

Daum Global Warming!

Gore 12-07-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie Sawbones (Post 2722083)
Have you taken a long walk on a short pier lately? 8-) :fish:

Just did a search on "walk short pier" and you haven't posted that one yet either! Looks like it's our lucky day. I'll head on over to the Jokes section and wait for the punchline. :thumb:

swamprb 12-07-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Okie Sawbones (Post 2721903)
We have had unusually cold weather in the Puget Sound area. We rarely get in the 20s. This morning it was 12 degrees, and my Primo XL was frozen shut.

Anyone else ever had their Primo freeze shut? What did you do?

Yeah, I keep 2 Large BGE's covered on the deck and had that happen a couple times as well. Stuck the weed burner in the bottom, around the DFMT and edges and it eventually thaws-

Okie Sawbones 12-07-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gore (Post 2722095)
Just did a search on "walk short pier" and you haven't posted that one yet either! Looks like it's our lucky day. I'll head on over to the Jokes section and wait for the punchline. :thumb:

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

North Is Up 12-07-2013 10:15 PM

Back to uses for an electric blanket. On an early episode of Columbo, a bad guy killed someone and wrapped the body in an electric blanket and had an accomplice remove it later and toss it. That made it look like the time of death (due to the warm body) was long after it actually was and the bad guy had an alibi for the later time period.

Natch, Columbo saw through the minor discrepancy.

I'm just saying...