The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rib Question (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44224)

Bossmanbbq 06-10-2008 03:35 PM

Rib Question

I've noticed that when I've smoked ribs(St.Louis style SPareribs) the last couple of times that the boneside of the ribs are all the way through the meat! Ive cooked them using the 3-2-1 method. Has this happend to any of you, and if so how do you prevent it? The ribs have great flavor and appearance and pull right off the bone just dont know if this is usual or if I'm doing something wrong!

Crüe-B-Cüe 06-10-2008 03:40 PM

Same here. No meat on the bone side. I don't care for BB's too much, so I always cook spares and cut them down. Mine are almost always like that.

tommykendall 06-10-2008 04:13 PM

Having problems visualizing the issue.

zabor16 06-10-2008 04:16 PM

Need a pic of it! PRON PRON PRON!!!!!

Professor Salt 06-10-2008 04:36 PM

No, that happens to me too. The meat splits along the length of the bone, and the bone sticks out, right?

It only happens to me when I foil. Not sure of the reasons why, but trying to figure it out. I think two hours in foil is too long cutting back to 90 minutes or so seems to reduce the effect somewhat, but it still happens.

IMO, it doesn't matter much, since that side of the rib isn't visible during turn in. As long as the texture of the meat is good, the issue at hand hasn't hurt my scores any.

Fatback Joe 06-10-2008 04:37 PM

Some racks are really thin on the bone side and it happens. But if it seems to be an ongoing thing, try cooking them in rib racks, I know that when I started using racks more often I got them a lot less.

Smokin Gator 06-10-2008 04:41 PM

I can only take it that you mean shiners... For the most part it is just how the hog was. Just not much meat on the inside part of the rib cage. The other thing that seems to help cause that rib to show through is the heat being too dry or too high.

If you have some you think may be a problem cook them on a rack in a pan with some AJ in the bottom. It should keep it from happening.

Smokin Gator 06-10-2008 04:42 PM

LOL... I guess FBJ and I were writing at the same time...

Smokin Mike 06-10-2008 06:33 PM

just shooting something out to try, www.amazingribs.com. I quit the 321 as soon as I read how he does it, I love his method!

this is what he has to say,

Count out the
3-2-1 method

The internet is full of advice for the novice, and one popular tip is the 3-2-1 method. It says you should cook a slab of St. Louis cut ribs for 3 hours, then wrap it in foil for 2 hours, then take it out of the foil for 1 hour.
I think 2 hours in foil is waaaay too long, especially if there is liquid in the foil. I think anything more than 1 hour softens the meat too much and makes it mushy.
My advice: would be 1 hour with nothing but rub and smoke, 3 hours without smoke, 1/2 hour in foil with apple juice, 1 hour outside the foil, and 1/4 hour with sauce over direct high heat. Start with these numbers and experiment until you and your cooker get it the way you like it best. Your mileage might vary.
1-3-1/2-1-1/4 is not as easy to memorize as 3-2-1, but better tasting.

check out his site!

Michael

Smokin Gator 06-10-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agentmichael (Post 660223)
jMy advice: would be 1 hour with nothing but rub and smoke, 3 hours without smoke, 1/2 hour in foil with apple juice, 1 hour outside the foil, and 1/4 hour with sauce over direct high heat. Michael

Lol... I am not sure how how you would do one hour with smoke, three hours without smoke, etc, etc.

I will stick with 3-2-1 with my judgement dictating the changes.

Bigmista 06-10-2008 07:24 PM

2 hours in foil is way too much for me too. 45 minutes at the most. Since I have been cooking in the Spicewine, I have getting great results with just 5 hours straight in the smoker and adding sauce during the last 15 minutes.

Keep experimenting with your cooker.

Oh one thing just hit me. Is your membrane coming off paper thin or is some of the fat underneath coming off with it?

Fatback Joe 06-11-2008 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 660094)
LOL... I guess FBJ and I were writing at the same time...

Great minds think a like..............and so do we. :shock:

Norcoredneck 06-11-2008 07:34 AM

It has happened to me with the cheaper frozen ribs the have been selling lately.

chibi 06-11-2008 07:54 AM

Last couple times I did spares that happened to me also. Hope it does not happen at Frisco.

tjus77 06-11-2008 07:55 AM

I usually do a 3 to 4-1-1 method. The only reason I foil is to cut down on the smoke a little. When I foil, I put some apple juice and do it for no more than an hour. Then I take them out, put some sauce and let them finish. Usually takes no more than an hour, I might rewrap and cooler if I am not ready for them. Never had shiners.