Cutting sauced spares

colonel00

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am posting this in the comp. section because I figure you all have all the tricks and gimmicks down. I don't personally do comps but I did cook a rack of St. Louis style spares today and the thought struck me. I will fully admit that usually I don't sauce my ribs and I usually have to flip them over to slice them without hitting bones. However, I was kind of curious as to how all you comp guys manage this. I assume you do not want to flip the ribs as it will mess with your pretty sauce. So, what tricks do you guys use to get good clean cuts? One thing I thought of was probing with a toothpick to find the bones and then marking the bones with the toothpick(s).

just re-sauce. It should be thin to begin with so not much mess.

I just flip em, and resauce if it looks like they need it.

try looking at the back after 2 or 3 cuts, helps me stay "on track" IMO

I lay them sauced side down and cut between the bones. First, I brush sauce on the cutting board. It works well for me.

Interesting reposnses, thanks. Again, since I don't do comps, I figured people wanted to keep their glaze all nice and pretty like and flipping the ribs would mess that all up. I guess with a thinner sauce it would brush on and even out after slicing.

It takes a couple of people to help hold them, but you can also stand them up on their sides so you can see the bones and let the knife slide down between the bones.

In my practice sessions, when I am building a box, I cut, then touch-up as needed. I do like the idea of saucing the cutting board too. I might try that as well...

A very sharp knife and lots of practice. I stand on big end, but have friends that lay theirs on sauced side and not that much comes off. To me if you're using that much sauce that is not set, than there is room for thought. The ones I mentioned barely touch up. Slathering all over the place may work for some, not me.Steve.

Back