Top Round Question

Sweet Daddy-D

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Newbie thinking about a top round on the kettle for sandwiches. Looks like some nice whole top rounds about 7 lbs at Safeway. Thinking about injecting some wine, garlic and spices, maybe a simple s&p rub with garlic powder. I'll use a few chunks of hickory. I'm not so confident of fire control on the kettle and may decide to use the WSM depending on the tempature and time advice I can get from you guys. Thinking of an internal temp of about of 140 to 150. How long should I let it rest, will I get some carry over cooking once I take it off? Any advise would be mucho appreciated.

Cooking the top round will go pretty quickly. I would go with indirect cooking on the kettle by banking the coals to 1 side and the meat on the other side. Cook the meat to about 125-130 indirect and then throw it directly over the coals to finish at 135-140. There will be some carry over cooking of about 5 degrees or so. I would let it rest for 15-20mins before slicing.

That sounds great! Yes it will cook a little after you take it off I usually do it with bottom round but I have done it with top round. I suggest you slice it when it's cold it will slice easier.

Cooking the top round will go pretty quickly. I would go with indirect cooking on the kettle by banking the coals to 1 side and the meat on the other side. Cook the meat to about 125-130 indirect and then throw it directly over the coals to finish at 135-140. There will be some carry over cooking of about 5 degrees or so. I would let it rest for 15-20mins before slicing.

Good advice. Here's a smaller top round steak I did a while back....same as advised above!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvUWIZkEcno"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvUWIZkEcno[/ame]

I would cook it at a kettle temperature of 225F, it will take 45 minutes or so, to get to an internal temperature of around 135F, or so, remove and rest. It will crawl up to 140F to 145F as it rests. For use in sandwiches, I don't sear at the end.

Back