Whole hog questions

bcaggie07

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Howdy, I am new to this forum and this is my first question to all of you who have been smoking for awhile. My favorite meat is cooking pork and I am looking to venture out and cooking a whole hog. I have smoked a 40 lb whole hog, but am wondering what the biggest pig I will be able to cook on my smoker. My smoker is made out of a 250 gallon tank and I built a rack that slides in and out my pit for a whole hog and it measures by 40" long by 24" wide. The way that I prefer to cook the hog is butterflied, and was wondering if a 75lb and 100lb hog would fit on this rack. At some point in time I may consider doing a hog racer style and was wondering how tall a 75lb and 100lb pig would be, once it is prepared.

Thanks

I can picture a 75 being ok. I think it might be a bit on the narrow side, not sure. You could cut hocks and fit better maybe. How did the 40 fit? Judge by that.

my pig cooker is a 300 gal tank, I dont butterfly and i cook 200# hogs hanging weight so their are 260 to 280 when i take them in and I have enought room for a couple briskets after i get the hog on, I would give you mesurments but my hog cooker is in a snow drift at the time

We cooked a 105 lb hog in a 48" China box once. It was a real chore to stuff him in; we had to remove the feet and crack his neck to make it work.

Back