HELP! Set It And Forget It My @ss

Porcine Perfection

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My usually reliable 18" WSM let me down (because we all we know it isn't the cook :tsk:) and it looks like I will be doing my first hot and fast 16 lb. brisket.

I started my fire around one (CDT) this morning and went to bed when the temp was at 225 and still climbing to my set temp of 275 using an Auber temp controller. I woke up about about 7:30 to a pit temp of 190. The IT of the brisket is 145.

I was hoping to have this done by Noon and be ready to eat by three. Anyone have an opinion on time and temps to accomplish this? I guess foiling or butcher paper will be happening.

Thanks in advance.

A lot of guys looooow cook a brisket pretty regularly. I'm guessing you have enough smoke on it. I think I'd just wrap it and bring up the temp to 300 to finish it. You might even consider just moving it to the oven.

What's the current internal meat temp?

If the bark looks OK then foil it and crank the heat or put it in the oven. If the bark needs more time get the WSM up to 300 and foil it when the bark looks OK.

Put the spurs to it, 325F and get it cooking. When the color is right, wrap and keep it going, it will then need to rest on the counter at least 1 hour, 2 is better

As to why not set and forget a WSM.

First, what fuel did you use? Lump can burn down pretty fast when you get up to 275. Second, ash build up can reduce the airflow enough to cause a problem, even with lump. It gets worse with Kingsford blue briquettes.

Hope things work out for you. Very good advise to wrap and crank up the heat.

As to why not set and forget a WSM.

First, what fuel did you use? Lump can burn down pretty fast when you get up to 275. Second, ash build up can reduce the airflow enough to cause a problem, even with lump. It gets worse with Kingsford blue briquettes.

Hope things work out for you. Very good advise to wrap and crank up the heat.

I am using the same setup that I have used many times. Kingsford blue minion method. I do usually wait until it gets to temp before laying down for a bit. Of course the one time I don't... :doh:

I wrapped it an hour ago and it is coming along nicely. Bluedawg almost had me talked into doing one hot and fast anyway so we will see how tender it is.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Never trust a sleazy blower with your meat! If there is a fire in the pit you need to be up. Me I'm to old for all them long hrs so H&F is the rule.

Same here. I never put my complete faith in my equipment cruising all night w/o a little maintenance.
I abandoned Low & Slow after one particularity agonizing Brisket.
NOW... I get up, fire up the Offset and get Briskets & Butts done before the evening meal.

My WSMs work great w/o any temp controllers. I'm not knocking them, I just haven't needed to use them with the WSM, and I do get "some" sleep at night. Once my WSM temps get set, they usually stay where I want it to the end... if the weather conditions are not bad. In that case, I have to be a little more diligent about tending the pit. For me, the perfect "set and forget" scenario lets me get a few hours of sleep so that I'm not dead beat in the morning. Other than that, I fully expect to have to do a little pit-tending when I cook.

OP - I understand the need for some sleep, but a Maverick to wake you up is a small investment. As for the fix, I think you have probably got enough smoke in it but would need to see the bark to know if it needs more time before throwing into a hot oven.

Brisket cooker

I sold two WSM's when I bought my Pit Barrel Cooker. They were just sitting there under their covers making me feel guilty. Fantastic brisket results come from owners of Pit Barrel Cookers and Ugly Drum Smokers alike. Whether its the cylindrical science of hot fast heat and meat or brisket just feels loved inside a drum, it always gets rave reviews. There really is a reason to have more than one type cooker. "Drum" yourself up a great brisket.

Last edited:
How's it coming JP?

Better than the Packer game so far. A little dry but it was a success!

CAM00033.jpg

CAM00035.jpg

2013-09-08%2016.03.42.jpg

Last edited:
Back