Smoking QUOTE help...

J

jacksons31

Guys, i've been approached by a convenience station owner wanting me to do the following and I am apprehensive on how to quote this...

He wants to provide the meat from his wholesaler, which he will order and have delivered to me by the wholesaler.

He wants me to trim, prepare with my rubs, smoke and pull 20 butts and 18 racks of spares, cut to st. louis.

He will have someone pickup at specified time.

I'm setup/licensed for such and have spoke with my attorney regarding a waiver on food handling post delivery already.

My question is how you would quote such, it will be bi-weekly. Feel free to pm if need be.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for the help...

Tough call. I get at least $8 per pound delivered for the pork. I "retail" ribs for $20 per slab but that's cutting my margin a bit. You're not doing enough volume to go totally "wholesale" on the guy. Figure your time and what you are worth and bill the time and materials you use.
A lot depends on what kind of cooker and how many hours you put it for prep, cooking, and pulling.
Good luck.

My cost on butts is $1.41lb 50% yield means I have $2.82 in the meat cooked. I sell at $11.50lb but would probably sell to someone who will be buying at that interval for $9.00lb deduct my cost of meat because he is supplying it (provided he is a licensed supplier through his store and handling properly) I'd sell it to him at $6.18lb and shave as much as another $1 off of that if the relationship was working good. As far as ribs go I would not cut a deal as they don't make enough profit anyways. I'd probably do the ribs for $10-$12 per rack if he supplies them.

For me this would be provided he was not wanting it on Saturdays when I can make more money catering and it would interfere with that. Also I would stipulate that he could not advertise it was cooked by me because you don't know how he will handle the product, ie let it dry out and not be good and people think that is how your stuff tastes.

I would check with your local HD to see if he can really do this.

Thanks guys, the good part is it would be Wednesday's so wouldn't interfere with weekend catering or comps.

Back