The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Weber mini chimney? I never knew such a thing existed! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175515)

sincitydisciple01 11-18-2013 09:47 AM

Weber mini chimney? I never knew such a thing existed!

1 Attachment(s)
The Better Half dragged me to a hoity-toity home furnishing store this weekend. One of those places that sells a $25 rubber spatula with a smile... When going to such places, my focus is two fold: find the grilling (or guy) stuff and DON'T BREAK ANYTHING. So I mosey back to the small corner dedicated to grilling and what do I see? A mini Weber charcoal chimney. I showed it to my wife and she gave a passing "That's cute" on her way to checking out $12 napkin rings.

My knee-jerk reaction was that it was kind of silly. But then figured it would be a good fit for a Smokey Joe where a full sized chimney would be way too much.

Then I started thinking of my drums. I rarely use more than a dozen or so coals to get my drums up and running. When I start the coals, they barely cover the bottom of the chimney. Because of the conical "spring" in the middle of the chimney, I rarely fill the chimney past the point of the "cone". As a result, the coals around the perimeter ignite, but don't exactly ash over.

A smaller chimney may actually work like a charm, but is it a Man Card violation?

aawa 11-18-2013 09:49 AM

Definitely no a man card violation. It is handy when you want to light off small amounts of coals.

I use my regular weber chimney and turn it upside down so the coals are funneled to the middle to light off.

nucornhusker 11-18-2013 09:51 AM

Nope. They came out with that about a year ago. I can serve a purpose.

Is the bottom still conical on it?

sincitydisciple01 11-18-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nucornhusker (Post 2697626)
Nope. They came out with that about a year ago. I can serve a purpose.

Is the bottom still conical on it?

Pretty sure it was.

peeps 11-18-2013 09:57 AM

It is still conical. I bought one to use when lighting a small bit of coals so they are more tightly packed and light faster than loosely packed coals in the regular version. It also fit inside my mini WSM between the grates when packing it up in the car.

savageford 11-18-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aawa (Post 2697625)
I use my regular weber chimney and turn it upside down so the coals are funneled to the middle to light off.

Brilliant, the answer has been staring right at me. Thank you.

Diesel Dave 11-18-2013 10:06 AM

No man card violation there. It's a mini for the mini........the right tool for the job.
Any tool is NEVER a violation :laugh:

gtr 11-18-2013 10:09 AM

I saw one of those over at Phubar's a couple years back and got jealous. When they came out with them over here last year I snapped one up and I use it all the time - great for many applications - it's my go-to for the smaller cookers and minion method cooks. The right tool for the right job is always manly.

tnjimbob 11-18-2013 10:19 AM

I flipped the conical screen over in one my Weber chimneys just to start a few coals for smoking. Works great.

Phubar 11-18-2013 10:25 AM

Yeah,this one came out quite recently.
Don't understand why Weber came out with these huge starters and didn't come out with the smaller one years ago.
I have mine (different brand) for about 4 years now and that is the one I use the most...for the WGA and UDS'.
Most of the time I only lit 15-20 coals.
I only use the big starter (which is smaller than the big chimney from Weber) if I'm gonna lit 2 BBQs.

Pic stolen...

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/y...Q/IMAG0081.jpg

cpw 11-18-2013 10:37 AM

That's a great idea. I rarely light more than a dozen coals for my Backwoods.

sliding_billy 11-18-2013 10:44 AM

I like it. Does it sit any closer to the ground than the big one (to get closer to a starter cube)?

peeps 11-18-2013 10:50 AM

It has similar proportions, so I'm pretty sure. I can take some measurements tonight if you like...

el_matt 11-18-2013 10:53 AM

Congrats on your new tool, I love my mini chimney. It fits down inside my UDS without issue. If you use newspaper to lite the mini, make sure you pour a little cooking oil on the paper. If not, it's a bit difficult to keep it lit.

Matt

rehless 11-18-2013 11:22 AM

Recently bought one for camping. Have a fifth wheel rig and weight matters. Will be going to Mexico with me soon.