What about this $20 smoker

I would jump on that if it was on my local craigslist. I would offer them $15, but I'd still pay $20. A little sanding, high temp paint, and whatever mods to get it to do what you need and you're set!

That should be an interesting project for you. Is the BF still concerned about your addiction?:-D

That should be an interesting project for you. Is the BF still concerned about your addiction?:-D

I just asked my BF about my BBQ addiction. He said my addiction is a good one that has paid for itself many times over by producing far greater quality BBQ than that of any restaurants we've eaten at.

I've learned many more things here other than BBQ to save us money at home. Like buying meats by the case and deep freezing them. Making bacon, pastrami and other cured meats. Fresh & cured sausages, etc.

It was really nice to learn how to BBQ here then apply that knowledge to smoking homemade cured cuts & sausages. If I didn't learn to BBQ I wouldn't of ever attempted sausages & cured meats such as bacon and pastrami.

For twenty bucks what's the worst that can happen? As long as it's not rusted on the inside it's a steal of a price.

It looks as if your signature is about to grow longer....."Electric smoker mod."

My only concern would be that the walls (and door) of the smoker are thick enough to take the direct heat of a charcoal fire. I have a similar electric, and I can guarantee you that a real fire in mine would warp the hell out of the walls and door if not burn straight through.

Buy it. Use it a few times, mod it and if all else fails, great holding cabinet! Nice score.

For the price, it's worth it...but, I'd still offer $15.

You might find it nice to have an electric smoker around. Like someone said, it can be used for holding. It can also be used with wood chips for a fire-and-forget-it smoker when you want something smoked and just can't babysit. Not the best way to smoke, but can come in handy. I started out on a small electric smoker and ended up with thirteen cookers...so it may just serve to feed your addiction.

I'd build another 30 gallon UDS. I don't think that lil cabinet would last too long - they are much thinner walled than even a drum.

but if just want something to tinker on its only $20 - so why not.

I got a propane Cabinet I converted - it was double walled with box frame in corners and I built an 1/8" thick plate firebox insert for it. Maybe you could do similar?

I just called the guy and he said it's insulated all the way around.. like a layer of metal on the inside and on the outside. If I could just put a gasket on that.. it ought to be really efficient. He's gonna call me back with the inside measurements (grate depth & width)

Oh he also said it's just surface rust.

I think I could make that lil thing pretty looking.. I can get it sandblasted and high temp powder coated for like $50.

If all else fails I could use for holding meat and/or a cold smoke house. If I used it for holding meat, would it be as good as cambro?

Well, either you or someone else must have bought it, the posting has been deleted. So when do we see it?

Fwi, LOL.

Well looks like the guy took it down from craigslist.. so he must of sold it in that short period between when I called him and when he was supposed to measure it.

Back