The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Q: Pot measurements for making a "Mini" WSM? (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147076)

WheelinOutdoorsNJ 10-31-2012 04:27 PM

Q: Pot measurements for making a "Mini" WSM?

First off Hi! I've been reading about these builds and was hoping that someone could help with the correct measurements of the Imusa 32-quart steamer pot.

Walmart is out of stock online, but target isn't. Both stores have their pot's measurements as...

Dimensions: 13.0 " W x 13.0 " D x 16.0 " H

Would these dimensions/measurements be the correct size for a snug fit?

Callahan-que 10-31-2012 07:29 PM

I believe there was a post on here recently about the pots from Target not fitting the Smokey Joes. Or maybe it was the lids from the Smokey Joes not fitting the pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aawa 11-01-2012 07:57 AM

The IMUSA pots are hit or miss with the Smokey Joe lids not fitting the pots snuggly for no leaks. I had one where the lid leaked a little bit, but I used it anyway. After my first couple of smokes it "gunked" up enough where I dont have a leak anymore.

You can also use the high temp braid sealers around the lid so that you dont have any leaks.

Another option is the Visconia 32quart pot which you can buy from Amazon. It is a little bit more expensive but I haven't read anything about the lid not fitting in any of their models, unlike the IMUSA pots.

NVehr13 11-01-2012 10:11 AM

From what i understand the IMUSA pot made in Columbia will not fit. Just buy it on amazon.

Callahan-que 11-01-2012 01:01 PM

When you get the pot from target let us know if it fits or not and where it's made.

El Ropo 11-01-2012 02:44 PM

I thought the issue was the thickness of the rolled lip on the pots. Some weren't rolled tight enough, making it hard to slip the SJ lid on top of the pot. The easy fix is to take some pliers or similar tool and an old towel to gently crimp the rolled lip down, so it's not as thick. It's only aluminum, so it bends pretty easy.

WheelinOutdoorsNJ 11-01-2012 05:34 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I jumped the gun before I asked this question and ordered it from Target.

More then likely I'll be returning this one unopened to the store to get a full refund. I'm going ahead and will purchasing the Visconia (which I should have done in the first place) if I cannot find it in my local stores tomorrow.

Thanks again.

frankie482 11-01-2012 06:02 PM

I have purchased 4 pots from Target.com.

All the pots were made in China and I needed to crimp the lip on all of them to get the Smokey Joe lid to fit.

I have a Target Red Card and get free shipping and a 5% discount bringing the pot to about $22 shipped.

Not a hard fix to get the lid to fit. I use vise grips.

Callahan-que 11-01-2012 06:31 PM

The Visconia is on sale right now on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kidcurry73 11-01-2012 10:59 PM

May have been pointed out before, I just missed it, but under:

"Frequently Bought Together"

This item: Vasconia 32-Quart Aluminum Steamer with Lid by Vasconia $29.99
Weber 7431 Cooking Grate by Weber $10.94
Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Gold Charcoal Grill by Weber $34.99

:)

WheelinOutdoorsNJ 11-06-2012 06:44 AM

Update: My Target order (which was the Imusa pot) still has not arrived. )

But...

I'm happy to say, my Vasconia pot arrived yesterday (from Amazon.)

This build will be a slow process, but I'll be sure to post the finish project.

Edit: Be sure to vote wisely.

Wh1skey6 11-07-2012 11:12 AM

So I'm a little confused...the dimensions for the IMUSA is 13" in diameter. The Smokey Joe is what, 14.5"? Is the dimensions listed online (Walmart/Target/Amazon) wrong?

Harbormaster 11-07-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J'ville Grill (Post 2261573)
The Vasconia is on sale right now on Amazon.

The Vasconia pot is a perfect fit. It fits the bowl, and the lid fits. May cost more but it makes for a great build.

Robert Downer 11-07-2012 11:37 AM

ok...based upon the comments (on too many threads to count:icon_bugeyed)...i have to make one of these...

and i as well will post the pics of a completed mini (once i fork up the cashola to be a 'premium' member!)

jrn 11-07-2012 02:32 PM

I'm excited! My vasconia pot is scheduled to be here today! Caught it on sale on amazon. :)