The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Brisket attempt #2 (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171840)

oldsmobubble 09-25-2013 05:35 PM

Brisket attempt #2

I am going to attempt for the second time to make a brisket in my ECB and I was hoping for some tips. I need to know what size to get to feed about 8 people and any other cooking tips. For instance I was wondering how long roughly per pound and at what temp to cook at. I understand your supposed to use the probe method and I will but I would still like to have at least a general idea of how long it will take.
Thanks in advance.

Happy Hapgood 09-25-2013 05:41 PM

There are many here that know more than me but I would guesstimate 1.5 hours per lb @ 225-250*F. Allow for rest time after that. It's good you know about probe tender and remember the stall.

SmittyJonz 09-25-2013 05:41 PM

If you can run 290-300* then 6-7 hrs (maybe 8 for an onry brisket) plus 1-2 hour rest. I'd get a 12-14 lb packer. :thumb:

veryolddog 09-25-2013 05:46 PM

I just cooked an 11 lb. whole packer on Monday. This took me 19 hours to make. If you are going to prepare your packer by marinading, rubbing and letting it sit, or injecting, you should factor in those hours as well including resting time. Mine was cooked on pellet smoker at 225 degrees until the internal temperature hit 200 degrees. I recently posted a thread on this which included a video on Tuesday, 9/23/13.

There will be others who will tell you about their methodologies that work for them, and this may be better for you. There is a lot of discussion and approaches for a successful brisket including the selection of the brisket itself.

Good luck,

Ed

Bludawg 09-25-2013 06:36 PM

In an ECB your temps are under 250 so 1.5 hrs per lb + 2 hr rest for 8 people 12 lb packer.

crb478 09-25-2013 09:39 PM

I always buy the biggest briskets I can get usually from 12 -16 lbs. I buy them early, trim the fat cap down to 1/4 inch or less and season lightly with salt pepper and garlic and then wrap it in plastic wrap for 1 to 2 days. With 8 people there will not be tons of left overs and left overs are a good thing.
I cook mine in a full size stainless restaurant pan and take it off when it is probe tender. I start probing around 195* and probe every 30 minutes until it is done. This is usually 7-8 1/2 hours cooking between 250 - 275. I typically take it off wrap the pan and throw it in the freezer until the brisket is cold enough to slice easily. I then cut the point from the flat and I usually slice both on a electric slicer and lay the slices back into the restaurant pan where they came from. I usually slice about 1/4 inch thick or a little less. Sometimes I will cube the point for burnt ends.

I usually cook this a day early so I can rest up for the party, but I also do it on the same day. When I am going to serve the brisket I pour a can of beef broth over the brisket still in the restaurant pan with the limited fat it cooked in, double wrap the pan in heavy duty tin foil and put it back on the smoker or in the oven. On the smoker I again get it up to 250-275 for an hour, in the oven 350 for 45 minutes. So far every one has devoured the brisket and what ever leftovers are there are fought over. They have all turned out moist and tender with great flavor. A caterer friend taught me the restaurant pan trick, but after 25 or so I am totally sold on it. hope this helps you some.

sliding_billy 09-26-2013 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bludawg (Post 2637263)
In an ECB your temps are under 250 so 1.5 hrs per lb + 2 hr rest for 8 people 12 lb packer.

+1. Fitting a packer in an ECB kinda stinks, but you can make it happen

Diesel Dave 09-26-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliding_billy (Post 2637656)
+1. Fitting a packer in an ECB kinda stinks, but you can make it happen

It's a packer pack it in there!!!!! :laugh:

Seriously, about 1 1/2 hrs a lb is a good rule to go by. And if it finishes early you can always keep it warm. Waiting to get it done is never the best option, finish early and rest longer is the way to go.