What Time For Big Meats

IowaWildHogsBbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What time do you guys start your big meat at comps? I am running a wsm with a guru at 250. I started at midnight at my last comp the butts stalled at 170 for a long time the wierd thing was they were both done at 185 and my money muscle read 205.

I use a backwoods and cook about 250 as well, and I start my bigger cuts about midnight. I've always experienced the stall around 170, and they finish around 8-9am. Comes out really good now that I have my routine pretty sell set.

Yup. Midnight is a common time. Most cooks like to get their big meats done well before turn in time and let them rest in a cooler or cambro. Nothing worse than not getting done on time.

We use WSM's with gurus also. We run at 245 and brisket goes on at 1. Butts go on at 3.

Wow, I'm in the minority here. I cook at 240* starting at 8pm and take them off at 8am right at 190-200* and cooler them. That way the cooker is empty for my Chicken and Ribs.

JT

Wow, I'm in the minority here. I cook at 240* starting at 8pm and take them off at 8am right at 190-200* and cooler them. That way the cooker is empty for my Chicken and Ribs.

JT

Not exactly the same times as me but fairly close to my times. On at 8-9pm off at 8-9 am. I had planned on adjusting that a bit if things work right, but I dont want to change things much.

On at 10:00pm off around 9:30am. Vent then in a cooler. keith

I'm with ya JT. With the WSM, Backwoods, Goodone or the Pellet. They go on at 9 and off around 9 or 10 the next day.

Back