Are Thermapens really worth the money?

bassmaster16

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thinking about taking the plunge and spend the $100 on a Thermapen. Are they really worth the money?

YES!!!
I even bought one for my daughter who is 15!!
Once you have used one it is hard to go back to the old, slow thermo's

Depends on your cooking habits if it is worth the $100 or not. I have a thermapen because I'm a gadget junkie. I really don't need it and could of bought a much cheaper instant read thermometer.

However for people that are constantly taking temperatures through the day (kitchen managers, health inspectors, beer brewers, etc) It is a really handy tool. Also anybody that cooks a large amount of meats in a pit, the thermapen is a handy tool. It allows you to accurately take temperatures of large quantity of food in a short amount of time, so that you can close the pits lids quickly and it can come back up to temperature easier.

TLDR: If you cook large amounts of meat, or have to take temps all day every day, it is a great tool that would be considered necessary. For someone that is just a backyard bbqer, no it isn't necessary to have but it is a fun little gadget.

I chose a Maverick PT 100 over the Thermapen and I believe I gave 80 and the fast speed is nice to have when checking things like chicken thighs, steaks etc.. But I think I could get by just fine with the new 5-6 readout ThermoPop for 24 bucks or the one mentioned above for 19..

I couldn't justify the price, but really wanted one. When the Thermopop came out ($25), I jumped on it. It's slightly slower than the Thermapen, but just as accurate.

I'm completely happy with my Thermopop, but if I was competing or vending, I probably would want the extra speed. If you're like me, and just cook for family, it may not be worth the price. Just my opinion, not saying anything bad about the Thermapen.

Matt

It took me a while to get over having spent the money on it. I still don't think that it is "worth" the difference in money, but it was long enough ago that I am well aware I would have blown it on something else and am glad that I have it.

no

unless you are a comp or cater cooker I cant see the need for it

lots of cheaper units that work just fine

I have one of these. works great

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Atkins-DPP400W-0-8-Thermometer-Waterproof-Temperature/dp/B000LDE0QQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1403536913&sr=1-9&keywords=digital+thermometer"]Amazon.com: Cooper-Atkins DPP400W-0-8 Digital Pocket Test Thermometer, Waterproof, Pen Style, -40/392° F Temperature Range: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31aybaYuyQL.@@AMEPARAM@@31aybaYuyQL[/ame]

From my point of view, it depends. If you are looking for a thermometer to keep track of a single piece of meat, or pit temps, then get a remote thermometer with a probe that stays put during the entire cook.

However, I now mostly cook by feel, so I just need a thermometer to very quickly let me know exactly where I stand. Also, I am cooking several pieces at one time, and this allows me to very quickly assess where I am, and ensure that all pieces are cooked to the same temperature. This is a food safety must if you are cooking for groups of people. Also, you can go quickly from validating that temps are above 140* on hot stuff and under 140* on the cold stuff.

Lastly, I also have a Thermopop, and love it as well. We use it on smaller cooks, and cooking for ourselves. However, the Thermopen is probably one of the most used tools in the kitchen or pit.

BTW, Thermoworks customer service is right of there with Weber's, which means a great deal to me.

I like my affordable ThermoPop. THe diameter of the probe is small so it doesn't make a big hole, and is very accurate.

I go into a panic when I cant find mine before a cook. It makes a cook go so much easier.

I go into a panic when I cant find mine before a cook. It makes a cook go so much easier.

Ha! I know the feeling. That is why we have an orange and pink versions so that they are easy to spot!

I do have a thermapen and love it, but for those not wanting to spend that kind of money this model that I have bought at Restaurant Depot is what I recommend. Is is maybe 1 second slower and waterproof. I have no worries about washing this thing and getting water all over it. Thermapens are only "splashproof" but mine has certainly lasted.

This one in the pic is actually the 2nd one I've bought. I have one for home and this latest is now what I have as my thermapen back up at comps. If my thermapen ever dies I won't buy another. And you can order it on Amazon in case you don't have a RD near. For $25 it is absolutely an equal to the thermapen. Had I known about it prior to buying my thermapen I wouldn't have dropped the $90.
IMAG2170_zpsyo7hcjws.jpg

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Atkins-DPP800W-Digital-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B009Z27WIC"]Cooper-Atkins DPP800W Digital Pocket Test Thermometer with Large LCD, -40/450° F Temperature Range: Science Lab Digital Thermometers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qrr41na2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41qrr41na2L[/ame]

If you want to save some, wait for the open box sale. Their as good as new, can't tell any difference. Get one, you'll LOVE it. This thread will come up again in a month or so and you'll get more in favor than against, like always.
Good luck!!!

Absolutely! I carry mine around with me on cook days instead of my phone....I love it!

I don't think it's worth it for my use. I'm glad I didn't pay full price. If it dies I won't purchase another. I would get a less expensive one but I don't cook a lot of stuff at once or cater or anything like that. I can wait 3 to 5 seconds longer for a temp reading.

I love the thermopop....backlit and almost as fast. At $24 it is a great deal.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HZVJM4M/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00HZVJM4M&linkCode=as2&tag=willrenfrocom-20&linkId=JL7AJLH7CUNGDTO6"]Amazon.com: ThermoWorks ThermoPop Super-Fast Thermometer with Backlit Rotating Display (Red): Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YzjgVEiCL.@@AMEPARAM@@31YzjgVEiCL[/ame]

since getting a thermapen my maverick et-732 hasn't seen daylight. Although the thermapop at 1/4 of the price is a sweet deal too.

Back