My first brisket. I think I can. I think I can

Friction33

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok here we go. After being a lurker on here for some time and soaking in all the info I can I am attempting my first brisket. I have done lots of cooks with pork butts and ribs and easier stuff so I figured its time to step it up a notch. Waiting for the smoker to get up to temp right now. I'll try to keep update as often as I can and post pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 238
You can do it!

What's your plan for rub and the cook?

Just remember to cook it until the thickest part of the flat is tender and then rest it for a couple of hours and you'll be fine.

You can do it!

What's your plan for rub and the cook?

Just remember to cook it until the thickest part of the flat is tender and then rest it for a couple of hours and you'll be fine.

I did a simple coarse black pepper, seasoned salt , garlic powder, paprika , and a little ground red pepper
Hoping to keep cooking temp between 250-290
Using lump coal for heat and hickory and cherry for smoke

BigMista did his first brisket with this group & look at him now!

Just concentrate on the fact that it's done when it feels right, not a specific time or temp.

Quick question. At what time interval or temp is best to stop the smoke and just keep the heat going? TNX

I cook on a stick burner with all wood so.... how ever long the thing is on the pit.

Did my first brisket a week ago....on the Kettle running at about the same temp as you are.....I smoked it for about 6.5 hours as I recall then foiled. It was almost all black when I foiled. I ran water for the first 3 hours then no water for a better crust....there was a nice firm crust when I foiled. Like you I had done plenty of butts and ribs but had yet to take on the mighty brisket. A fella who had tried lots of my food said, "if that's not the best thing you have ever made it is tied for it." So I did not f### it up.

The biggest problem I always had when cooking brisket was I never gave myself enough time!!!!! I would have a house full people expecting to eat at 6 and at 5:30 it was only at 180. The best brisket I ever made which was just about 5 weeks ago I became a smart ass about. I went to meat packer and a 15lbs packer had him trim it and got a choice grade piece of meat. I brought it home and made a simple rub then through it on a uds with a temp of about 275 at 10 o clock pm then went to bed I woke up the next morning at 8 and the IT was at 170 at 11 oclock the following day it came off ( 205* ). I wrapped it in foil then a blanket and put it in the cooler till 2 then pulled the point off and cut into pieces re rubbed and sauced put in a foil pan and put on till 6 for burnt ends. See its then I discovered it wasn't that I couldn't figure out how to cook brisket its that needed to LEAVE IT ALONE and give it time.

Cook temp is steady at 270. Brisket temp is up to 135 going to just let it sit and cook until it is probe tender no matter how long it takes. I want it to be as good as I can get it for my first.

That's why I like the hot and fast....plus if its done too early...more time in the cooler is not a bad thing.

I have always liked the low and slow method cause I usually cook on the weekends. Sunday is my one day I get to do nothing but relax and why a better way than to cook awesome food for everyone.
What temps do you consider for hot and fast for brisket and usually for how long?
I'm guessing more time in the cooler for tenderness?

Cant wait to see the end result Friction. I'm loosing my brisket cherry tomorrow morning, starting at 5am, using the low and slow method. Got Baileys and kahula to keep me company since everyone else will be going to work.

Cant wait to see the end result Friction. I'm loosing my brisket cherry tomorrow morning, starting at 5am, using the low and slow method. Got Baileys and kahula to keep me company since everyone else will be going to work.

Tnx Pappa. So far everything seems to be going good. Good luck with your cook.

I'm getting hungry. Starting to smell really good around here.
Here we are at 145 internal temp Can't wait

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 98
Looking great! As stated, probe tender is a better indicator than IT. I pulled my first couple a little early because the IT crept up over 200 and they weren't quite tender enough. Looking forward to the results!

Back