• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ribeye suggestions?

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm planning on a ribeye for dinner (I buy the "Prime" Ribeyes from Costco - usually a two pack. We're at the point where we just split one steak between the two of us, so it's good for two separate meals). I've been going about 50/50 either cooking them on a Santa Maria Pit (great flavor, but not super tender) or T-Rex on the BGE (Incredibly tender, but the fat doesn't come out as good as on the pit). Almost always use Jocko's Mix (Mostly salt with a touch of garlic and pepper)

Looking for other techniques or styles for the one tonight. This one weighs in at just over 20 oz and varies from about an inch and a quarter to an inch and a half in thickness.

Anybody found anything they really like lately?

I like to do a quick high heat sear and then finish with indirect heat until the steak hits 125-130. I then rest for about 8 minutes until I slice into that morsel.

I see that you have 2 BGE's...

Get one BGE stabilized at 800 degrees with grate in lower position.

Get the other BGE setup with indirect heat and stabilized at 300 degrees.

Rub your Ribeye down with the following wet rub and put back in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably more (4-6):
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Espresso Powder or any finely gound coffee

Take steak from wet rub, pat dry, and toss on the screaming hot BGE for 90-120 seconds per side. Then move to indirect BGE and take steak to desired doneness.

This is the only way I make steaks anymore... so so good!!

Attachments

• Filet Mignon.jpg
    Filet Mignon.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I know some consider this blasphemy, but its how I roll. Cube it up, give it a coarse grind(once)and make the best damn steak burgers on the planet!!:peep:

I see that you have 2 BGE's...

Get one BGE stabilized at 800 degrees with grate in lower position.

Get the other BGE setup with indirect heat and stabilized at 300 degrees.

Rub your Ribeye down with the following wet rub and let put back in the fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, preferably more (4-6):
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
2 Teaspoons Montreal Steak Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Espresso Powder or any finely gound coffee

Take steak from wet rub, pat dry, and toss on the screaming hot BGE for 90-120 seconds per side. Then move to indirect BGE and take steak to desired doneness.

This is the only way I make steaks anymore... so so good!!
I remember doing something similar to this a couple of times right after I got my second BGE - actually just T-Rex'ed on separate Eggs so that I knew exactly what temp the second part would be at rather than gambling on a cooling BGE.

I've tried a marinade of Montreal's and EVO before, but your combo sounds interesting.

Do you rest the meat at all before transferring to the second grill? (Nice picture - thanks!)

Thanks for all the recommendations so far - keep 'em coming!

I've had coffee as a seasoning on a pork roast and tenderloin before, but never on a Ribeye. I'll have to think about that a bit. (neither the Wife nor I drink coffee)

Seems like there was a thread (or 2 or 3) about a different technique posted here a couple of months ago that I looked into and wanted to try. Now I've forgotten what it was called, what all was involved, or any of the significant details. I should have bookmarked it.

Hoping one of these responses will jog my memory. I've been looking at waaay too many recipes lately. :redface:

I remember doing something similar to this a couple of times right after I got my second BGE - actually just T-Rex'ed on separate Eggs so that I knew exactly what temp the second part would be at rather than gambling on a cooling BGE.

I've tried a marinade of Montreal's and EVO before, but your combo sounds interesting.

Do you rest the meat at all before transferring to the second grill? (Nice picture - thanks!)

No rest before transferring to the cooler kamado. And do not add any additional salt/pepper to the steaks. The wet rub is salty/peppery with a well rounded flavor. It is GOOD!!! In fact, I made those steaks in the pic on Easter... and my step dad, who rarely compliments anything, told me that it was the best steak he's ever had... and he LOVES steak.

I'm glad to see someone else uses Jockos as well, its great for meats. I'll usually chop some garlic and rub it with olive oil and Jockos on my steaks.

Try the reverse sear. Start cooking indirect at a lower temp, maybe 200-250 until the internal temp is 10 degrees less than where you want to end up. Then switch to high heat and sear each side 2 min or so.

Try the reverse sear. Start cooking indirect at a lower temp, maybe 200-250 until the internal temp is 10 degrees less than where you want to end up. Then switch to high heat and sear each side 2 min or so.

I've done reverse sear with many larger cuts of Beef (Prime Rib and Tri tip mostly). For some reason I'm paranoid about trying it with Ribeye. Seems like it wouldn't get the fat to crisp up nicely and I'm worried I'd overcook the thing. Smaller cuts seem to go up very quickly even at low temps.

I'm glad to see someone else uses Jockos as well, its great for meats. I'll usually chop some garlic and rub it with olive oil and Jockos on my steaks.

Love Jocko's. My wife and I went to College at SLO and we heard about it, but we were too poor to eat there (I'm very familiar with the phrase "starving student" :becky:), but now try to eat there any time we return to our old stomping grounds. A real good day is being able to play a round of Golf at Monarch Dunes and then catch Jocko's for steaks afterwards.

I use a local specialty meat store's "steak seasoning". Then I roast indirect until about 110F with a pecan chunk then caveman sear for 90 seconds a side(I use a flexible, disposable, thin grate to keep the ashes off). UnFarkingBelievable.

i second the coffee thing i'v been using a coffee cocoa rub that we love salt and pepper as usual then coarse groung coffee and cocoa at 75/25 mix just lightly over the top and sit bout 30 min before 550 on my primo

Cook it in a smoking hot CI skillet directly over hot coals. For a steak that size about 4-5 minutes on each side for rare to med rare.

My favorite way to cook a steak in a Screamin hot CI skillet.
Let the steak come up to room temp
Put the skillet in the oven turn it up to molten steel temp let it soak for 20 min
Turn your big cook top burner WFO
Retrieve the Skillet place it on the burner
Put a Tbl of Grape seed oil in the pan and a TBL of Butter and a Garlic clove ( paper on)
Let the garlic toast for 15 sec and add the steak and another tbl of butter let it go 5 min.
Flip the steak baste it & put the skillet Back into the oven turn off the heat and let it sit in the oven for 10 min.
Plate it with a sprinkle of Sea salt Cracked peppa and a Pat of Roasted garlic & lemon zest compound butter.

I rub some crushed garlic on both sides, add Kosher salt & ground pepper, and put them on a wire rack in the fridge for at least an hour and preferably 2 or 3.

More times than not, I'll sear and then finish indirect, but my best result has been with a reverse sear. With two BGE's you could do as the others suggest and set up one around 225F and the other searing hot. Cook indirect (lid closed) until about 10 degrees below desired doneness, then sear for 90 - 120 seconds per side, watching closely (lid open).

Cook it in a smoking hot CI skillet directly over hot coals. For a steak that size about 4-5 minutes on each side for rare to med rare.
Combine these two! We buy the prime rib-eyes at Costco all the time. I put them in the Smoke Vault at 220 until the IT is 100-105, then I toss them into a preheated CI skillet that is smoking hot, flip every minute or two until the IT reaches 125-130. Pull it off and it will rise to 130-135. I have now begun using upside down grill grates on the Weber in lieu of the skillet, but same effect. The picture is a comparison I did, prime vs. choice, the prime is on the right. The choice looks a little dry on the one end, a little strip of bad fat there, but the rest was perfect. They were both damn good!

Attachments

• Rib Eye 02-05-14.jpg
    Rib Eye 02-05-14.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 61
I've done reverse sear with many larger cuts of Beef (Prime Rib and Tri tip mostly). For some reason I'm paranoid about trying it with Ribeye. Seems like it wouldn't get the fat to crisp up nicely and I'm worried I'd overcook the thing. Smaller cuts seem to go up very quickly even at low temps.
With the thickness you described (1.25 to 1.5 in.) I think you are good. I wouldn't go with less than 1.25.

for med. rare, indirect low and slow to an internal temp of ~115 deg then sear over direct until you get the desired color and temp. (130-135). For more or less than medium rare add or subtract finish temp on the indirect side.

I dry brine them for a couple hours before cooking then dust them with some good black pepper just as they come off the fire so the pepper doesn't scorch but the surface oils are still hot enough to activate the pepper. You could also dust them with your favorite spices at this time if desired.

I've used this method for inch and a quarter and up steaks several times with good results.

Thin steaks are a whole different animal. Well, I mean they are still a cow, but...oh hell never mind, You get it.

VR,
Harold

Back