WSM comp cooks

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those of you that cook exclusively on wsm's in competition what is your preferred combination ? (3) 18's. (2). 22's. (2) 22 and (1) 18. Etc

Also what do you use for what, one for briskets one for butts etc

2-22s and 1-18

Pork butts get the 18; ribs get a 22, brisky gets the other 22; the chicken gets the 22 once the brisky is done. This is my first year cooking on WSMs as you know.

I cook on 2 - 22 WSMs and a 22 performer. One 22 wsm is for brisket only, the other is for ribs and pork butts. The performer is for chicken although i sometimes put chicken on one of the 22 WSMs. I mainly separate the two 22's because i put different smoking woods for brisket and for pork so i like seasoning the pits individually with those woods. Whether it really makes send or not, I'm not sure but it makes me feel better...ha ha

I did one KCBS comp on a single 22.5" wsm. Took 1st in ribs, 5th in chicken 19th in pork out of 41 and finished 11th overall.

This is my first year cooking on WSMs as you know.
I drecall the day you made that decision. Twas about 6:30 on turn in day and muzzlolos damn fec crapped out over night and my briskies were under 100. Then like a superhero I pulled that little black cooker out of my van, threw those briskets on and low and behold a 3rd place brisket:becky:

We use a 22.5 WSM for brisket and chicken, and an 18 for butts and ribs. I usually bring along an 18.5 kettle for cooking dinner, and occaision use getting color on ribs, etc.

3 WSMs -- one for brisket, one for ribs, one for pork shoulder. And a 50s era Weber kettle for chicken.

We use 3 18s. 1 for butts and 1 for briskets lit on Friday. Fire up the 3rd for ribs on Saturday, move them to the emptied pork pit when they are wrapped in foil, and then that pit hosts chicken. We move them because we run that 1 at 275 instead of 225 and then jump it to 300 for the chicken.

2 18s and a 22.5 -- brisket and pork each get their own 18, ribs are on the 22.5 and chicken goes on one of the 18s after brisket or pork is done.

I really want to get a 4th so we can cook chicken on its own cooker rather than risk having to move stuff around.

3 WSMs -- one for brisket, one for ribs, one for pork shoulder. And a 50s era Weber kettle for chicken.

I was wondering about that.

While I'm not a kcbs competitor yet, IMO chicken cooks better on my kettle than on the WSM, and I haven't found a compelling reason that it would do better on low and slow than it would on the "roasting" temp of a kettle.

I know this is a WSM thread, but I think it's close enough on topic to inquire about using the kettle for chicken in comps.

I use two 22's. One for Butt and one for Brisky. After foiling the Chinese fire drill starts with Chicken and Ribs.

We've been happy with the results of our first two cooks (15th and 16th overall with a few calls). It does gets interesting when both WSM's are full.

I use two 22's. One for Butt and one for Brisky. After foiling the Chinese fire drill starts with Chicken and Ribs.

We've been happy with the results of our first two cooks (15th and 16th overall with a few calls). It does gets interesting when both WSM's are full.

Ha! This is exactly how I thought about it. If the butts and brisket are done by the time the chicken goes on it is definitely a dance.

One 22, two 18s and one 22inch kettle. I cook brisket and the pork butts on the 18s, the ribs on the 22 and chicken on the kettle.

I was wondering about that.

While I'm not a kcbs competitor yet, IMO chicken cooks better on my kettle than on the WSM, and I haven't found a compelling reason that it would do better on low and slow than it would on the "roasting" temp of a kettle.

I know this is a WSM thread, but I think it's close enough on topic to inquire about using the kettle for chicken in comps.

Mike, try one thing. Remove the diffuser (ie - water pan) and run it to 300 at the grate/lid. It gives you that 'roasting' concept on the WSM. More like cooking it on a hot and fast UDS. Different kind of taste. You might like.

I drecall the day you made that decision. Twas about 6:30 on turn in day and muzzlolos damn fec crapped out over night and my briskies were under 100. Then like a superhero I pulled that little black cooker out of my van, threw those briskets on and low and behold a 3rd place brisket:becky:

True dat!:laugh:

i run 2 22.5's.

i don't suggest this process, cuz there's a small margin of error and it took me a LONG time to nail down timing, but...

pork and brisket on 1 overnight. pork gets wrapped when brisket goes on.

ribs go on in the fresh 2nd in the morning.

pork and brisket come off #1 in the morning, it gets broken down to a top and bottom, and chicken goes on that.

for what it's worth, i LOVE my WSM's, but hope to get a backwoods in the offseason.

seems alot simpler, while still playing with fire.

chicken will always be cooked in a weber tho.

We just have 1 18 and 1 22. Pork in the 18 and brisket in the 22. We make sure one is done by 7 am so we can start ribs. Not ideal but it works.

Back